Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: What Actually Happens If You Eat Mold?

  1. #1

    Thumbs up What Actually Happens If You Eat Mold?

    Cheese is a tasty, famous dairy product. However, if you`ve ever observed fuzzy places on your cheese, you may think whether it`s yet fine to consume.

    Mold can develop in all kinds of foods, and cheese is no exception. So, is it OK to consume moldy cheese? Discover definitively so that you`re organized the subsequent time you open the cheese drawer. Besides, find out the distinction between safe and bad mold and the way to save the cheese from molding.

    What is Mold?
    Molds are a kind of fungus that generates spores. They`re transferred via air, insects, and water and can be discovered anywhere in the environment, in particular, your refrigerator though they deepen more in hot, wet conditions.

    Mold is an indication of rotting in the majority of foods. It has a tendency to be fuzzy and green, white, black, blue, or grey.

    Nevertheless, molds are typically risky to consume, a few kinds are utilized in cheesemaking to improve taste and texture. These sorts are entirely fine to consume.
    Is moldy cheese fine to consume?

    Mold on cheese isn`t constantly a sign of spoilage. The molds employed to supply certain diversities are not the same as those that sprout on your old cheese and bread.

    Those utilized to fabricate cheese are fine to consume. They`re described by blue veins in the cheese or a heavy, white rind on the outside, while the normal mold is a fuzzy boom that differs in color from white to green.

    Besides the look, the smell can additionally show mold. However, due to the fact that some cheeses are by nature stinky, it`s excellent to scent it after buying to set up a baseline. In so doing, you can examine its freshness shifting forward.

    Remember that risky spores can additionally happen on mold-grown cheeses. They`re like those that develop on different foods.

    How to correctly preserve cheese:
    Exercising the right storing strategies can assist save your cheese from spoiling.

    When picking typical cheese, ensure it doesn`t have any cracks or mold boom. The texture should be soft with no toughened or yellowed places.

    When buying mold-grown cheeses, make sure there are no fuzzy, off-color places. Treat the blue-veined spots as a baseline to assess whether any uncommon colors or textures appear.

    You need to refrigerate your cheese at 34–38°F. Enveloping your cheese tightly in plastic wrap can additionally assist block mold spore
    Source: https://talentedcook.com/what-actual...-you-eat-mold/


  2. #2
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    44,684

    Default

    Joji is that your article? You have now copy and pasted articles and links to the same author twice. Inquiring minds want to know.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  3. #3
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    58,632

    Default

    Cheese is how you preserve milk. I've carried cheese when backpacking and mailed cheese to my son when he was hiking the AT. Any cheese that is aged or has a low moisture content will last quite a long time. Hard cheeses like cheddar or parmesan last well (blocks, not the stuff in plastic cans). Gouda is another great cheese for backpacking. I love the flavor and it doesn't need to be refrigerated. Just find one that is well aged. As the OP indicated above, I shy away from cheeses that contain mold. I live by the old adage, if in doubt, throw it out. It's not worth food poisoning.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...All On Amazon Books.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Deimos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    Brazil, at the countryside of the Paraná's State.
    Posts
    142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Joji View Post
    Cheese is a tasty, famous dairy product. However, if you`ve ever observed fuzzy places on your cheese, you may think whether it`s yet fine to consume.

    Mold can develop in all kinds of foods, and cheese is no exception. So, is it OK to consume moldy cheese? Discover definitively so that you`re organized the subsequent time you open the cheese drawer. Besides, find out the distinction between safe and bad mold and the way to save the cheese from molding.

    What is Mold?
    Molds are a kind of fungus that generates spores. They`re transferred via air, insects, and water and can be discovered anywhere in the environment, in particular, your refrigerator though they deepen more in hot, wet conditions.

    Mold is an indication of rotting in the majority of foods. It has a tendency to be fuzzy and green, white, black, blue, or grey.

    Nevertheless, molds are typically risky to consume, a few kinds are utilized in cheesemaking to improve taste and texture. These sorts are entirely fine to consume.
    Is moldy cheese fine to consume?

    Mold on cheese isn`t constantly a sign of spoilage. The molds employed to supply certain diversities are not the same as those that sprout on your old cheese and bread.

    Those utilized to fabricate cheese are fine to consume. They`re described by blue veins in the cheese or a heavy, white rind on the outside, while the normal mold is a fuzzy boom that differs in color from white to green.

    Besides the look, the smell can additionally show mold. However, due to the fact that some cheeses are by nature stinky, it`s excellent to scent it after buying to set up a baseline. In so doing, you can examine its freshness shifting forward.

    Remember that risky spores can additionally happen on mold-grown cheeses. They`re like those that develop on different foods.

    How to correctly preserve cheese:
    Exercising the right storing strategies can assist save your cheese from spoiling.

    When picking typical cheese, ensure it doesn`t have any cracks or mold boom. The texture should be soft with no toughened or yellowed places.

    When buying mold-grown cheeses, make sure there are no fuzzy, off-color places. Treat the blue-veined spots as a baseline to assess whether any uncommon colors or textures appear.

    You need to refrigerate your cheese at 34–38°F. Enveloping your cheese tightly in plastic wrap can additionally assist block mold spore
    Source: https://talentedcook.com/what-actual...-you-eat-mold/
    Cheese is not only a great survival food but also a great tool into a balanced diet. When I'm starving after a long day at work a huge plate of eggs, cheese and sausages, washed down with lager beer or orange juice it's what I need to have a wonderful sleep that nigth.
    sup

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Texas
    Posts
    1,856

    Default

    If you have kept your cheese long enough for it to grow fuzzy mold then you haven't been eating enough.

    By the time consumers have a block of cheese in their hands it is OLD by comparison to other foods and without their own particular brand of mold helping them rot they would not be cheese.

    I like sharp cheddar, Swiss, provolone, mozzarella, Parmesan, and maybe a few more that aren't overly strong...

    When I was in college I could get a lot of mileage out of a block of gouda and a bottle of Blue Nun...

    Cheese is not a good day hike food down here except in the Winter... It will melt in the Summer, which is from March til November it seems...

    Alan

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    NE Georgia mountains
    Posts
    208

    Default

    For aged or hard cheeses like parmesan, or cheddar, light surface mold can be dealt with by cutting around the moldy bit and removing it. Roughly an inch around and an inch deep is a good rule of thumb for how much to cut away. Because hard cheeses are so dense and have less moisture, mold can’t penetrate as deeply into the cheese.
    https://www.wisconsincheese.com/the-...heese-and-mold

    Some of the few unhealthy molds have roots that penetrate the cheese.

  7. #7

    Default

    I started a carnivore diet about 8 months ago. Basically, upped my meat intake and gave up the carbs. Hardly ever eat potatoes, bread, rice and sweet stuff, other than highly diluted sweet tea. Only have half cup of grits for breakfast mixed with eggs and bacon. sausage or fried spam. For dinner I'll have a large portion of meat and green vegetables. Not really a milk drinker but will have a large chunk of sharp cheddar cheese almost every day. Eat a lot of sardines. Went from 143 to 125 lbs. I'm 5'5" on a good day.
    I do cheat about once a week, usually have take-out pizza on Saturday with my buddies watching college football.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

  8. #8
    Senior Member kyratshooter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe
    Posts
    10,319

    Default

    Not to be picking on you or anything Chiggersngrits, but I have not been 5'5" and weighed 125 pounds since 1963!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    NE Georgia mountains
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Not to be picking on you or anything Chiggersngrits, but I have not been 5'5" and weighed 125 pounds since 1963!
    Ours is a second marriage when we were married, I weighed 240#. After almost 10 years, my weight is 202#. OTOH, I'm far from being high speed and low drag as I used to be.
    At 220# or so, my doctor said he stepped aside leaving my wife as dietician.

    As we are human, we do cheat..

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Not to be picking on you or anything Chiggersngrits, but I have not been 5'5" and weighed 125 pounds since 1963!
    I weighed 95lbs. coming out of high school and weighed as much as 160lbs. in my mid 50s.
    At 125 its difficult to find clothes that fit, I sometimes have to go to the boys department. But they can be cheaper than in the mens department. If you can find some that don't have spongebob or superheros on them.
    Last edited by chiggersngrits; 09-25-2022 at 12:20 PM.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2022
    Location
    NE Georgia mountains
    Posts
    208

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chiggersngrits View Post
    I weighed 95lbs. coming out of high school and weighed as much as 160lbs. in my mid 50s.
    At 125 its difficult to find clothes that fit, I sometimes have to go to the boys department. But they can be cheaper than in the mens department. If you can find some that don't have spongebob or superheros on them.
    I truly understand your dilemma.
    To fit my shoulders, most shirts look as if Omar the tent maker made them. Today, they offer XL, tall fitted; if and when I can find them.. Finding trousers with my inseam or long enough sleeve length is not easy.
    Think orangutan.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •