Thread: Diemos at the Bazar

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Diemos at the Bazar

A question for our Brazilin friend.

If I were on a flight to Brazil and got off the plane at the airport I would be completely stripped of all usable gear for daily life. We can carry nothing onto an airplane, not even bottled water!

It has been a solid 50 years since I last searched out gear in a foreign nation. Back then we went to wherever the market street was and searched until we found what we were after. Often what was offered was way more than we were after!

Where would I go to find an inexpensive, but serviceable, pocket knife or multitool to use during my stay and abandon when I got on the plane to go home?

Nothing exotic or illegal, just a usable pocket knife or small M-tool.

Does Brazil now have a Walmart, K-Mart, Target or its equal in Portuguese?

The last time I did this I was here in the States and went immediately from the airport to a Cabela's sporting goods store. I was on a visit to the in-laws, and since all of the BILs were knife carriers I just left the M-tool in the guest room dresser and informed them it was available.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

This might be some help and Deimos will fill in the Brazilian side.
    https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...tcanibring/all

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-.../sharp-objects

I've taken clip folders, sheath knives etc. in checked baggage to Europe. But they must be in a sheath to protect the TSA inspectors.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-...hold-and-tools
    A hatchet is allowed in your checked baggage.

You'll also need a TSA approved lock on your checked baggage. They will open your checked baggage.

I don't know about Brazil; however, most nations don't check incoming baggage unless you get their attention.

When you return to the US, they will go through your baggage.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    A question for our Brazilin friend.

If I were on a flight to Brazil and got off the plane at the airport I would be completely stripped of all usable gear for daily life. We can carry nothing onto an airplane, not even bottled water!

It has been a solid 50 years since I last searched out gear in a foreign nation. Back then we went to wherever the market street was and searched until we found what we were after. Often what was offered was way more than we were after!

Where would I go to find an inexpensive, but serviceable, pocket knife or multitool to use during my stay and abandon when I got on the plane to go home?

Nothing exotic or illegal, just a usable pocket knife or small M-tool.

Does Brazil now have a Walmart, K-Mart, Target or its equal in Portuguese?

The last time I did this I was here in the States and went immediately from the airport to a Cabela's sporting goods store. I was on a visit to the in-laws, and since all of the BILs were knife carriers I just left the M-tool in the guest room dresser and informed them it was available.
    My friend, as long as you don't bring a firearm or an airgun, and of course something dangerous like poison, you can bring almost any tool in your checked baggage.
    As long as it's a "tool" or archery equipment, you will not have any trouble.
    But regarding stores, we don't have anything like Walmart. I get most of my tools and gardening stuff from... THE VET!
    It's a cultural thing. Here at our country the vet not only take care of our pets but usually have a store with lots of things regarding gardening, homestading, etc.
    Do you know where I got my multi-tool? The vet.
    My shovel? The vet.
    My chainsaw? The vet.
    My wife's crossbow? The vet.
    You can do the same, as long as you have an international credit card you can walk in the vet as a tourist and walk out as a full geared up redneck. You just need to be over 18 years old to buy some stuff like the crossbow ir the chainsaw, but If you don't look top young them nobody will ask for your ID.
    Remember this word, If you ever visit Brazil: "agropecuaria". Or Just ask around: "where I can find some tools, like a folding knife and a shovel"? They will point you to the nearest vet.
    Sure, it's weird sometimes, since sometimes you are there shopping and a dog is barking in the back, but until I learned how vets are at other places, I never really minded.
    Now, talking about laws, as long as you aren't entering a bank or bothering someone, you can carry around your folding knife. If a building doesn't allow blades, they will give you a place to keep you blade stored until you finish up business there. I always carry a multi-tool with me since it's useful.
    P.S: You actually can bring your airgun but you will have to deal with lots of paperwork.
    Last edited by Deimos; 09-17-2022 at 05:53 PM.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

I doubt he will look too young....

Alan

Yep, people stopped asking to see my ID in the 1970s!

In fact, I graduated from University 50 years ago last month.

I got my master's degree last year and I finished college 2 years ago. I'm 25 years old.

Most people that visit Brazil end up in the city of Sao Paulo, because our best airport is there.
    If you ever visit Sao Paulo, think about visiting the vet/store called "Agrototal". The prices are good, you can get a decent multi-tool for under 3 dollars. And the owner is a fun and humble guy. He spent most of his time talking care of the animals, since he is a Vet. But when he is at the shop, he is always helpful. I got a nice and cheap folding knife there that I keep at my car as a backup blade.

I have been watching these girls, the whole family actually, for about a year. They are north of you somewhere on a tributary of the Amazon, working a family farm in one of the native reserves.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Ribeirinha...laAlvesPedrosa

It reminds me of the subsistence farming I used to see here in our rural areas, only these girls have internet, and solar power, and a big, big boat!

And 340,000 subscribers watching them cook and clean fish without a Hilton on the other side of the hill.

Google translate seems to work very well in Portuguese to English. The girls' closed captioning is very accurate and I have noticed that it works well on your posts too Diemos. Better than on some of the British accents!

I have been watching these girls, the whole family actually, for about a year. They are north of you somewhere on a tributary of the Amazon, working a family farm in one of the native reserves.

https://www.youtube.com/c/Ribeirinha...laAlvesPedrosa

It reminds me of the subsistence farming I used to see here in our rural areas, only these girls have internet, and solar power, and a big, big boat!

And 340,000 subscribers watching them cook and clean fish without a Hilton on the other side of the hill.

Google translate seems to work very well in Portuguese to English. The girls' closed captioning is very accurate and I have noticed that it works well on your posts too Diemos. Better than on some of the British accents!
    Actually, I dislike the translator, it's a waste of time, and a bad habit. The real life doesn't have subtitles or a tranlator. Of course, I used it when I was a teen, but now that I have at least a little of experience, I just read and write in english.

About these girls, I know that place, and it's very different from here. I would have to cross the country to get there. Here where I live, the farms are very big, texas-style when dealing with cattle and ohio-style fields when we are talkingn about corn. Small farms are a minority here. Even my dad's farm it's not small.
    I do have a boat, but it's a very small wooden boat that I keep at my garage. I use it to paddle around the pond. Sometimes I take it to the river, but mostly to my pond.

Translators are just as bad translating another language to English..

We have an old bass boat and a canoe.

Do the cattle farms have Fila Brasileiro dogs?

I'm afraid I have to use the translator.

I speak only three languages with any fluency; English, Hillbilly and Profanity.

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    Translators are just as bad translating another language to English..

We have an old bass boat and a canoe.

Do the cattle farms have Fila Brasileiro dogs?
    Man, we have so much of that breed here that they are more common than stray dogs with no race.
    I even have one, his name it's Nescau, because he's brown and here, "Nescau" is the name of a brand famous for their chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    Man, we have so much of that breed here that they are more common than stray dogs with no race.
    I even have one, his name it's Nescau, because he's brown and here, "Nescau" is the name of a brand famous for their chocolate.
    Is yours loving and docile to family and aggressive towards strangers?

Our Pitt Bulls are territorial; however, once a person is welcomed into our home either is obnoxiously friendly. The female is a charmer until she jumps into the guest's lap.

Today, we took a drive and and saw an estate sale alongside the road. The wife bought another size cast iron frying pan and I bought a Browning 800 Magnum pellet pistol and it was a steal for $35. I did some research and it sends a .177 pellet at 600 to 700 FPS. It's accurate enough to hit 1" rocks at 15' or so..

Is yours loving and docile to family and aggressive towards strangers?

Our Pitt Bulls are territorial; however, once a person is welcomed into our home either is obnoxiously friendly. The female is a charmer until she jumps into the guest's lap.

Today, we took a drive and and saw an estate sale alongside the road. The wife bought another size cast iron frying pan and I bought a Browning 800 Magnum pellet pistol and it was a steal for $35. I did some research and it sends a .177 pellet at 600 to 700 FPS. It's accurate enough to hit 1" rocks at 15' or so..

All my dogs are exactly like this, little angels when dealing with family and friends and little wild beasts when some stranger gets near. We own 7 dogs.
    You can put that pellet pistol into good use. I own a co2 pellet pistol in .177 caliber, and I lost the count of how many birds I killed with it. I even killed a chicken at 9 yards with a well placed shot. It's a good thing to do some pest control, because a stray shot may damage a window but that's about it. If I use a proper airgun or even a PCP airgun or my .22LR, then I will need to worry about stray shots a little more, since I live in the city.

All my dogs are exactly like this, little angels when dealing with family and friends and little wild beasts when some stranger gets near. We own 7 dogs.
    You can put that pellet pistol into good use. I own a co2 pellet pistol in .177 caliber, and I lost the count of how many birds I killed with it. I even killed a chicken at 9 yards with a well placed shot. It's a good thing to do some pest control, because a stray shot may damage a window but that's about it. If I use a proper airgun or even a PCP airgun or my .22LR, then I will need to worry about stray shots a little more, since I live in the city.

I've noticed dogs can read our inner emotions. If their owner, AKA pack leader is at peace inside, they are at peace too. Another example, I'm protective over my wife and family and my dogs are the same.
    My family bred bird dogs; Weimaraner, Vizsla and German Short hairs.

It is showing how accurate it is; next is to figure out what pellet it prefers. it seems to do quite well with Meisterkugelin 7.0 gr.

Here as we have no neighbors and forest is very thick, shooting is safe. I have a short range in the backyard a mountain provides a safety berm. LOL

I've noticed dogs can read our inner emotions. If their owner, AKA pack leader is at peace inside, they are at peace too. Another example, I'm protective over my wife and family and my dogs are the same.
    My family bred bird dogs; Weimaraner, Vizsla and German Short hairs.

It is showing how accurate it is; next is to figure out what pellet it prefers. it seems to do quite well with Meisterkugelin 7.0 gr.

Here as we have no neighbors and forest is very thick, shooting is safe. I have a short range in the backyard a mountain provides a safety berm. LOL

I do a little bit of shooting with my airguns at home (I can only shoot with my .22LR at the range, at my dad's farm or at my property in the middle of nowhere, I can olny shoot at home if it's an emergency), but shooting is one thing and pest control is another one. The rats and pidgeons move around a lot so sometimes a weaker gun is required.

I do a little bit of shooting with my airguns at home (I can only shoot with my .22LR at the range, at my dad's farm or at my property in the middle of nowhere, I can olny shoot at home if it's an emergency), but shooting is one thing and pest control is another one. The rats and pidgeons move around a lot so sometimes a weaker gun is required.
    We live in the middle of nowhere. LOL As you've mentioned a firearm is a tool same as any tool, the one that fits the need is the best one.

When we take the buggy (side by side ATV) cruising the mountains; we travel with friends.