View Poll Results: What is the most important survival tool?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Your brains

31 96.88%
  • Knife

0 0%
  • Fire

1 3.13%
  • Tarp

0 0%
  • Water & Food

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the most important survival tool.

Blog Entries

Default What is the most important survival tool.

What is the one most important survival tool to you.
    To me its using and keeping my head. I can make everything else and find food.
    Last edited by Beo; 06-11-2008 at 04:06 PM.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

I sure hope this comes out 100%

Blog Entries

I have to agree with you Beowulf. What you know as well as your imagination and how you use it is often times more important then what items you have.

Good Question.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by Teotwawki View Post
    I sure hope this comes out 100%
    If not, we're not sending the right message here...
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Blog Entries

Well some people are as dumbs as rocks and all the training and teaching in the world won't help, soooo ya never know
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Well some people are as dumbs as rocks and all the training and teaching in the world won't help, soooo ya never know
    Sounds like my son-in-law. I have been known to refer to him as my daughters "pet rock". In polite company of course.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Quote Originally Posted by klkak View Post
    Sounds like my son-in-law. I have been known to refer to him as my daughters "pet rock". In polite company of course.
    nice....lol

Banned

Most important survival tool? Experience.

Banned

I have a brother-in-law like that. Nice guy. Foster parent and quite successful but dumb as a rock.

Blog Entries

Personally I think smarts is better than experience because even a noob with no survival training and skills and without a thing can survive if they use their head and think things through, mother nature gives you everything you need to survive you just gotta look and use it.

you have to balance youre book knowledge with youre working knowledge.
    i know how to build a fire using friction methods but dont practice it enough to consider it part of my working knowledge
    Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect. Steven Wright (1955 - )

He attacked everything in life with a mix of extraordinary genius and naive incompetence, and it was often difficult to tell which was which. Douglas Adams

Box of rocks? HMMMM

I know a few that would make them seem smart.

Don
    No one knows more about a task then the person that does it, Practice makes perfect!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Personally I think smarts is better than experience because even a noob with no survival training and skills and without a thing can survive if they use their head and think things through, mother nature gives you everything you need to survive you just gotta look and use it.
    I don't know. The Australian Aborigines and Congolese are the dumbest on the planet and they survive in environments that would likely kill us.

Its your mindset more than anything, intelligence only gets you so far as does your knowledge, being mentally strong is the number one factor in my opinion.

To quote a film (can't remem the name): What do you die of when your lost in the woods? - Shame!

Anyone can learn a plant thats edible or know how to find water but thats very different from finding yourself, lost, most likely injured, with no equipment and miles away from anything useful - most people would lose the will and give up rather than keep fighting.
    "It is sometimes better to miss an opportunity than to invite disaster" - Stilgar, from Dune by Frank Herbert

I'm gonna screw the poll up. You're brain is absolutely the most important, but I wouldn't call it a tool. A tool is something external, one of the abilities that higher primates has is tool use. You could drop a dog off and he'd use his brain to survive, but he wouldn't use a tool. I chose fire. Knife would be 2nd, but a primitive knife can be made, fire will keep you alive, help you signal, cook your food, etc

Yeah, I'm nitpicking, but there you go.
    Last edited by JRR; 06-12-2008 at 04:33 AM.

Although your mind is considered the most important tool in my opinion, it's always with you, but the most important tool that I can carry is a strong knife.
    Last edited by Jericho117; 06-12-2008 at 07:22 AM.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Just a couple of thoughts to throw out. Don't confuse intelligence with academic learning or IQ:

Intelligence: capacity for learning, reasoning, understanding, and similar forms of mental activity; aptitude in grasping truths, relationships, facts, meanings, etc.

I would love to be as intelligent as some of the indigenous peoples. Their knowledge of the world is light years ahead of my own. Toss me in their environment and they'd be standing around shaking their head saying, "He has to be dumber than a box of rocks." (probably true, by the way).

JRR, I understand what you are saying but consider this:

Tool: anything used as a means of accomplishing a task or purpose:

So, by definition, the brain is a tool. So is your little toe if you figure out some way to use it.

Your opinions are valid. They are, after all, opinions. I just thought I'd toss that out.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Mmmmm, brains......
    You don't have to join PETA to survive in the woods, it just helps.
    (People for the Eating of Tasty Animals)

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Talking Small World

He must be my daughter-in-law's brother. That's a bad way to be semi-related, guess some people shouldn't be allowed to reproduce.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

Nothing happens to a human without a response from the brain, ie. seeing something the brain sees it and tells you what it is, fear-the brain recognizes something as fear or tells you to fear or brings up your fears, the brain controls the body and its responses.