Thread: AR Pistol Notice

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default AR Pistol Notice

Any of you fellows that have an AR pistol need to check into the new regulations that just went into effect this month.

ATF has taken steps to redefine almost every AR pistol with any accessory added into a SBR, making the owners instant felons without the owner's knowledge.

I am not qualified to explain or interpret the new rules and I have already watched videos of three different attorneys, each one giving a different definition of the new regulations.

If the regulations are to hard to understand or you just don't want to deal with them there will be an amnesty period until December so you can turn your guns over to the ATF, give up, roll over and play dead.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If they don't step back from these illegal "laws" and keep doing the door to door illegal seizures they are going to need a whole more federal prisons

When someone, anyone keeps on pushing for trouble; they usually find it.

I'll have to look into that. But, if you have an ar pistol it is okay to make it a rifle. Just not vice versa. So, take the upper off and form 1 the lower as an SBR.

Just recently bought an AR pistol. Would have loved putting a pad on it but that would have made it into an sbr. Makes me wonder if they will try to push and say any type of sling or carry handle makes into one as well in the near future.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

Don't give them any ideas Xnatos!

You are also facing the possibility that the pistol you just purchased, in its stock and unmodified form, may not meet their new definition of a pistol.

I am presently trying to figure out how a firearm that is not allowed to have a buttstock of any kind can be restricted to a length of pull of less than 10".

LOP is measured from end of buttstock to trigger!

Then there is the fact that most of the commercial pistol buffer tubes are longer than the now mandated 6 1/2" buffer tube length limit from end of tube to back of frame.

The new definitions do not just refer to AR pistols.

I also shoot silhouette matches and many of our silhouette pistols use rifle type scopes, which turns our match pistols into instant SBRs, buy their new definition, even if it is a break open single shot.

Yes, they are mandating the type of sights you can have into their points system.

I am proud to say that my district Rep to Congress, Thomas Massie, fought this one tooth and toenail to the bitter end. I watched the hearing. The ruling party was voting on butt kick emotion about items they had never seen or used. Most of them could not tell you butt from muzzle on any firearm made. My rep spent nearly an hour arguing with an ATF spokesman that was trying to convince the committee that a stabilizer brace made an AR shoot full auto. The committee was in full "we don't want to hear the facts!" mode.

Thomas Massie is a good one. We need more like him.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

H.R.8051 — 117th Congress (2021-2022)

Assault Weapons Excise Act
    This bill imposes an additional 1000% excise tax on large capacity ammunition feeding devices and semiautomatic assault weapons. It exempts from such additional tax devices and weapons acquired by the United States or by a state or local government.
    https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...l/8051?s=1&r=1

Here's more: https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-...1/text?r=1&s=1

Ok. So I don’t like the ATF regulating some that I already owned and deeming it a felony, but what are the drawbacks of registering a pistol as an sbr within the 120 days? From my perspective, it just means I wont have to pay the $200 to legally shoulder my brace with padding on it.

Again, I do NOT like the ruling, but what downsides are there for filing the form 1 within the grace period?
    ~Rocky Balboa

As I understand it, you cannot transport an SBR across state lines without ATF permission to do so. No matter where you take your weapon you'll need to be prepared to show your papers on demand. Then there's the whole issue of what you may do with it (sale, give away, inherit, etc.) not to mention the whims of the ATF on SBRs just as they did with the pistol brace.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

IF I NO LONGER WANT AN SBR AND I REMOVE THE “BRACE,” DO I NEED TO CONTACT THE NFA TO UN-REGISTER MY SBR WITH AN ATTACHED “STABILIZING BRACE?
    It is not a requirement to remove your SBR from the NFRTR; however, ATF highly recommends you notify the Government Services Branch (GSB) of the National Firearms Act Division to remove the firearm from the NFRTR registry. All NFRTR updates should be emailed to nfafax@atf.gov.

https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regula...edpdf/download

• If you are selling the firearm as an SBR, which is “registered” in the NFRTR, an ATF Form 4, Tax Paid Transfer would be required to complete the transfer.

So what I’m getting from this, is if you no longer want it considered an sbr, you can just remove the brace and not HAVE to notify anyone. Makes me wonder if you would be able to remove the brace and consider it a pistol, and then sell it without the forms? Granted, I haven’t ever considered selling any of my firearms but don’t like to think what the atf would consider legal or not on that account.

Sorry for the way the stuff pasted from my phone.
    Last edited by RangerXanatos; 02-11-2023 at 06:28 PM.
    ~Rocky Balboa

I would be leery of not doing anything. ATF could always approach you and want proof of disposal/modifying the SBR. Not that they would but...it is the ATF. They seem to operate on their own agenda. I don't own a pistol brace but this whole thing sticks in my craw. Congress enact laws, agencies carry them out. At least that's the way it's supposed to work.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Couldn’t you replace the shorter with a minimum sixteen inch barrel? Would having possession of the less than sixteen inch barrel be considered a felony? Why skyline with a form 1.
    Last edited by rebel; 02-12-2023 at 05:59 PM.

Yes you can. The ATF gives you four options.

1. Change the barrel to a 16 inch or longer barrel
    2. Remove and dispose of the stabilizing brace or alter it so it cannot be reattached.
    3. Turn the firearm in to the ATF
    4. Destroy the firearm

Once you put on the 16 + barrel it shouldn’t matter what stock is on.

So, with the longer barrel comes new opportunities. Stay with the 5.56 or…. 7.62x39 cheap ammo but different bcg and magazine. 6.5 Grendel expensive ammunition and different bcg/mag. 300 aac same bcg and mag. Decisions.

Actually, you have those exact same opportunities with the AR pistol platform.

It seems the concentration has been on changing the AR pistol into something else when it does not have to be changed other than replacing the buffer tube with a pistol tube. I think they were $25 the last time I looked.

Render the brace unusable and forget about the whole problem, it does not exist.

Personally, I would never turn any of my firearms into something I had to register with the ATF. That is inviting a knock on your door. And yes, they are knocking on doors now.

And watch for continued new definitions. This brace question has been issued, modified, revised three times and is still subject to the whims of the Admin even now. There is no such thing as a final decree by the ATF.

This is yet another over reach by one of the alphabet agencies. This will be challenged and eventually over turned since they cannot make law, only enforce those passed by Congress and signed into law by the President. Unfortunately that judicial "spanking" is not an instantaneous ruling that goes into effect as the lawless agency does their thing. No, I don't own one, just like I never owned a bump stock. That doesn't matter. If you want one, you can have one and not be the subject or target of some bureaucart.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel