Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hunting hogs with small game guns

I used to have a friend who was a master of the clean kill. His kills never tasted gamey. When an animal runs hard, they build up lactic acid in their muscles. It tastes like sour milk for a good reason. Lactic acid is what makes soured milk taste sour (or it used to...I don't know what they put in milk today to cause it to go like /that/!)
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Guys, I don't feel bad for the hogs, I Just feel sick when there is blood everywhere. Crossbow kills aren't like firearm or airgun kills.
    But thanks for sharing your experience.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Having the animal bleed out probably improves the flavor of the meat.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    I used to have a friend who was a master of the clean kill. His kills never tasted gamey. When an animal runs hard, they build up lactic acid in their muscles. It tastes like sour milk for a good reason. Lactic acid is what makes soured milk taste sour (or it used to...I don't know what they put in milk today to cause it to go like /that/!)

Some people enjoy the taste of feral hogs and there's a lot of ways to prepare it.
    A friend swears by this one he found online:
    the way to reduce or remove the game taste is to prepare the meat you want to cook the night before by rubbing it down with plain old yellow mustard and garlic powder or garlic and then marinate it overnight by soaking it in a mix of mustard, garlic and pepper.
    He sent me this link: https://bigjohnwaynessurvivalshop.we...wild-game.html It isn't spam.

Adrenalin also makes meat taste bitter.

IMO, a lot depends on what one's harvest eats.

Alan R McDaniel Jr is correct as many kill a domestic hog and hang it to bleed.

If the hog has some fat, preferably acorn fat, there is absolutely nothing wrong or gamey with the feral hogs around here. I have made sausage and chops from 400# boars without a hint of gamey taste. In fact the only time I found pork unpalatable was that from a domestic pen raised barrow. It was the first and last one I ever killed for home use. After that I only killed sows for our use.

Now, #1 wife and I eat so little meat at all (mostly it's me) that buying pork chops or loins from the grocery store is all we do. When the boys were growing it was a different story. I had two freezers that were in some state of meat rotation all the time. Deer, hogs, fish, fowl, ... I used to get dried sausage made (I made my own fresh) and those guys would polish off a link each before supper.

Those days are over for me now. The two of us don't eat a whole lot (well, I do..). But, we eat well. Last night we had seafood gumbo (shrimp and redfish) and tonight we had broiled flounder. Tomorrow night will be chick roast, potatoes and carrots... We usually keep the garden going year round. Only have okra right now.

Now if a hog gets in the garden.... he might end up in the freezer...

Alan

Oh, and Apple Pie, almost forgot the Apple Pie!

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Oh, and Apple Pie, almost forgot the Apple Pie!

Alan
    If you like Apple Pie them you should try a German dessert called Strudel. It's like a sandwich version of an apple pie slice

I'm starting to trust the crossbow a little more. It's an amazing tool. If wasn't for you guys my dad would be hunting alone.
    This time I got a pic! A small/medium pig, but a pig it's a pig.

photo_2022-09-16_15-13-54.jpg
    Last edited by Deimos; 09-23-2022 at 08:41 AM.

Good shooting!

Same as any tool, it takes practice.

Turns out that you CAN kill hogs with small bore airguns.
    This aigun is mine, it's a heavily modified .22 PCP "Beeman 1336". This weird guy is a friend of my dad, and this pig is a hog, but raised as a domestic pig. They removed the tusks and the balls, and raised It as a normal pig.
    I will keep using my crossbow for hogs, but If you only have a small bore gun, a headshot at close range will do the job, If you are at a tree stand. Just be sure to use a PCP. I never tested any springer.
    Screenshot_20221013-202359.jpg
    Screenshot_20221013-202418.jpg
    Screenshot_20221013-202359.jpg
    Screenshot_20221013-202435.jpg
    Last edited by Deimos; 10-14-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Within reason, killing is based on shot placement.

145.jpg
    Sorry, it was so close to the game camera, the picture is "washed" out. The background is very clear.

We were having problems with raccoons raiding the container garden. They'd climb the chicken wire and feast. As a result, I added chicken wire over the top and a bell with fishing wire to the bedroom. Early in the morning, the bell rang and the racoon joined its ancestors. The pellet went through its skull removing a chunk of bone and it still ran away about 10' or so.

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    Within reason, killing is based on shot placement.

145.jpg
    Sorry, it was so close to the game camera, the picture is "washed" out. The background is very clear.

We were having problems with raccoons raiding the container garden. They'd climb the chicken wire and feast. As a result, I added chicken wire over the top and a bell with fishing wire to the bedroom. Early in the morning, the bell rang and the racoon joined its ancestors. The pellet went through its skull removing a chunk of bone and it still ran away about 10' or so.

Yeah, that's the keyword. Reason.
    We are all hunters here and we all know what animals are harder to kill.
    But here you guys can watch the whole video, that's the proof that you don't need special gear to hunt hogs. You can do your pest control even with a .22 PCP, as long as you have a good shot placement, are at a close range (let's say under 25, maybe 30 yards, the closer, the better) and the hog can't reach you If you somehow don't end up killing him.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hHP...w?usp=drivesdk
    Last edited by Deimos; 10-14-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Animals can be very difficult to kill.

Here, the dogs contain the hog and the hunter use a knife or a spear. A hunter stopped for permission to go up the road. His chase dog chased a hog up a mountain and down into the valley; then up this mountain. He said that dog is persistent. Judging by sound, he released his dogs and Pitts. The hog started squealing and it got quiet. The Pitts wear something similar to a Vietnam era flak jacket to protect their body from the tusks.
    Most of the hunting is over the next mountain where that chase began. Feral hogs don't sweat and there's a swamp there. We've seen small ones and huge ones.

How big are wild boars in Georgia?
    On average, the height of an adult wild boar is 21-48 inches tall, and the length is 35–78 inches long.
    https://hhhunts.net/cooking/where-ar...n-georgia.html