Thread: Kayaking Broad River

Default Kayaking Broad River

Hey guys! It’s been a while since Ive been active so forgive me. I live close to Broad river which joins into the Savannah river on the other side of my county. A few years ago, they put in an access point to kayak the Broad river 2 miles from me. While I have kayaked on the river a few times, it was always through a company that provided everything. They would drive you up river, and you would paddle 5 miles down to where you began. This would be the first time I have been on this section of the river, and I would be by myself. This distance was 12 miles to the nearest takeout point and it states it should take about 8 hours to get there. Spur of the moment my wife said she would drop me off and pick me up if that’s what I wanted to do. I packed a few snack, several beverages, a pack with some essentials, the kayak and it’s related equipment and down the river I went around 1:00pm. I went through a bit of wind and some rain during my trip but nothing too serious. My main concern was getting to the takeout point before it got too dark so I had to paddle fast. I am proud to say that I was able to do the whole trip in half the time at 4 hours. And I just happened to pick up as the takeout point had absolutely no cell service and I saw my wife drive by on the bridge and waved her down as soon as I landed. Couldn’t have asked for better timing. On the trip I didn’t see or hear a single person. The only company I had besides myself, was the occasional bird and the one gar I saw. I didn’t take too many pictures as I was afraid I would drop my phone and not be able to find it.
    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    What's so crazy about standing toe-to-toe saying I am?
    ~Rocky Balboa

About 25 years ago the misses and I did a section of the broad river near Marshal.

Nice pictures. Glad you had a good time and good to see you back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Very nice. Looks like a great time. Great pics.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

About 25 years ago on the French Broad River in North Carolina, my cousin had a gig where he would video groups floating down the river and sell them. I was visiting and went out with him. This involved going to the different raft companies early in the mornings signing groups up, then racing down to a long straight part of the river, filming the groups float by then racing back to the raft companies before they returned. He had made a video about the history and different aspects of the river. He would then edit the videos of the different groups that day into his stock video. It was a seasonal thing but he made a killing.
    So in about the third group that came by this particular morning was a 9-year-old kid in a canoe. He was lagging behind the rest of his group. Right at the sight where we set up filming was a 2-foot drop in the river and he went through sideways, flipped and got caught under the canoe in the falling water. After about 20-30 seconds I didn't think he was going pop up and started making my way out to him, but fortunately the guide finally noticed paddled over and pulled him out.
    After 20 groups or so we loaded up and raced backed toward the raft camps. Flying up and down narrow mountain roads in my cousins old Subaru with bald *** tires.
    Interesting day.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.