Thread: Somebody

Default Somebody

I went out to my farm yesterday and when I was opening the gate a big bull dog came from behind the bushes and about ate me. Somebody had dropped him off. Luckily I had a small .22. After a couple into the ground and some angry words he reluctantly backed off. I tried calling the animal control but they’re closed on the weekends. I’m headed back today to see if he’s still around.

Dang, I hope you're all right. The trouble with pets is people. Hopefully, he's chipped and he just got away from someone and animal control can find the owner. I don't have any respect for someone that would dump an animal when there are so many other options available.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Any hog hunters in your area?

Alan

The nearest hogs around here are still 10-15 miles away. I went out to the farm today as I do every day. He was at the gate. I tried my dog whisperer voice for calmness as I unlocked the gate. Didn’t work. Dang thing came at me fast and hard. So, I put two more rounds in the dirt and that made him stop. Once I got to the barn, I reloaded for my trip out. Upon leaving he just eyed me, which was better than yesterday. lol. The wife wanted to guard me with a shotgun as I got the gate. I said good idea. While being mauled you can shoot us both with one shot. Anyway, animal control tomorrow.

Here the hog hunters (dogs) use Catahoulas or Currs for strike and bay dogs and take the pits in on a leash until they are close to the action (Where the pit can see or hear the location very well). Dogos have to see it because they are mostly deaf... The pits are always getting lost if the hog gets away and runs before they get there or they follow the pack off before the human can put it back on the leash. Then they get lost. They go to where humans have been and wait until they are found and picked up or they die. We've found dead pitbulls in our camp that just went to the house and laid down and died. They are NOT pets and are usually aggressive and will bite. It's their job.

If it's not a "drop off" my guess its a catch dog. A lot of guys do chip their catch dogs because they are somewhat valuable. They are valuable because they are still alive. Their job is to go straight in and get a jaw full of hog (usually an ear or some place on the head) and hold on until one or the other of them are dead. I've seen 350# hogs wearing pitbull earrings and still have plenty of zest left in them. The dogs don't quit, even with their intestines strung around on the brush.

They are not real smart dogs generally. There are the exceptions, but on the whole they have one master, they eat, and bite... Pretty simple lifestyle.

Personally, If I drove up to my gate and a pitbull came out of nowhere in an aggressive manner, animal control wouldn't be necessary. My granddaughter opens that gate. I would view it like a rattlesnake. An unnecessary risk.

Alan

Good to know. This one has a harness. Maybe animal control can find the owner.

You know the old joke. Man and dog are tangled in a fight. Man yells at wife and tells her to shoot. She says she can't she might hit the husband. He yells back it don't matter. One of us needs relief.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

That turned out to be a hot mess. Animal control came and a deputy. He had a time trying to get a noose on the dog. The deputy started to pull but he got the noose on. When he did it was game on. At one point the dog was on one side of the gate and animal control on the other. I tried to unlock the gate but he was snapping right by the lock. We were able to pull the gate open enough to get him out. He fought all the way to the box and in the box.

Glad it worked out. Hopefully it won't be back.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

One thing dogs don’t ever forget, even peabrained pits, is the noose.

Alan

Me too.
    The dog catcher likes dogs. I hope the poor dog can find peace.
    The dog catcher said he tried to catch him a week ago across the creek.
    While recuperating he said that he about lost the battle. For about five minutes I thought the same. It was 50/50.

This really pisses me off. Like off the chart. I lost my best buddy of 15 years this spring. I'd be shaking the bushes and tracking every lead to find my lost dog. Further more, i don't train dogs to bite. Sometimes it's easy. Sometimes it takes awhile.
    Some vets won't treat my heeler because they bite. I get it. But that's the breed. Love that old butch vet that just walked in and Did her thing. She put my buddy down. Very empathetic.

The only bad thing about losing a good dog is a little of us dies with them.