Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: picking cloudberries..

Default picking cloudberries..

i am a crafter and i live in wild places so i found my way here, although, my presence will likely be as small and lazy as a bumblebee. i am nomadic between mountaintops, taiga forests, & peatlands who are all like my mother. in the way of reindeers my place changes with turnings of seasons and is cyclic, forming a circle, always meeting again at my source-place. i like living bearfooted from my tents or sleeping bag or cabins.. tending wild plants some of which i also harvest for food/medicine.. growing other plants for more food.. tanning, carving, garments, all the rest.. making the things i need to live using only materials from the land, from beings i am in direct relationship to.. this way everything is deeply rich in story. i consider all this to be both practical , living well , but also spiritual, playful, reverent, beautiful, deeply sensory, & at times deeply challenging (as all things worth doing are).. i am in hermitage for much of every year at my source-place, a little mountain.. being “solitary” is important to me, ever since i learned of other female hermits & renunciates my life went deeper this direction.. i am in constant and continual negotiation with wild beings.. what else is there to say?
    -
    sometimes i am in northern canada other times i may go a little west or south. newly, i try to get involved with workstays some of each year because it’s honest work/learning in exchange for a roof and some food, i like it too because rarely i meet someone who can become like family, like an elder i never had. sometime i might trade or sell crafts if i feel like it. some friends suggest i start teaching life skills like hide tanning and wild food but we’ll see. i am trying to become more versatile, generous, compassionate, skillful. the past years i bear a lot of wounds as the land always is recipient to a thousand thousand cuts by industry (loggers and oil folk and cell tower companies too-they only curse themselves with their glyphosate spraying, clearcutting, planting of monocrops, pulling 'up' from the ground what she calls right back 'down' with immense weight,gravity). but still, the land she goes on unceasingly, yawning all indifferent-like.. in the same way i mostly let fate happen to me, living randomly..
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-06-2022 at 06:49 AM. Reason: restored deleted post

Just curious. Did they move Chicago to northern Canada?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Just curious. Did they move Chicago to northern Canada?
    i'm not so sure what you mean? i don't know anything about chicago, never having been there.

I too long to run naked through field and vale, the lush grass whispering under my feet as the wind frolics in my hair. To live among the creatures of the wild and be one with them, learning their ways and languages. Having the stars as a ceiling and the soft Earth as a bed I will take each day as it comes in all its glorious splendor. Rain, cold, heat, drought, whatever Mother Nature's gift is that day, I will drink it in...

But, I gotta have AC, ... and coffee... and my CPAP,.. and a squaw... and I gotta be home by dark...

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I too long to run naked through field and vale, the lush grass whispering under my feet as the wind frolics in my hair. To live among the creatures of the wild and be one with them, learning their ways and languages. Having the stars as a ceiling and the soft Earth as a bed I will take each day as it comes in all its glorious splendor. Rain, cold, heat, drought, whatever Mother Nature's gift is that day, I will drink it in...

But, I gotta have AC, ... and coffee... and my CPAP,.. and a squaw... and I gotta be home by dark...

Alan
    I knew that about you. And like you for it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

If the Moon was full I'd go out and howl at it right now... But alas, it is only a half moon and the mosquitos are out right now...

Thanks Crash, most people like me like that, except the neighbors when I start feeling the call of the wilderness....

Alan

well i am not sure if folk think i was being facetious or exaggerating but i am not. i am just deeply deeply reverent and i enjoy storying and languaging. sad to see mockery/disbelief if i'm reading things right? it's true i don't have AC here (no one does..though many in my region mightve liked it last year with the heat dome), i don't drink coffee (i prefer roasted dandelion roots and my hand rolled fermented fireweed teas -caffeine is too powerful drug for me), we've got giant mosquitoes and noseeums too. i do like howling out regardless of moon (what i call skanagumihok , cloudberry moon, passed a bit back,but the cloudberries are only now ripening) and sometime you hear calls back. we are not from the same culture clearly. in my eyes it is rude to approach guests with a baseline of undue suspicion or mistrust.. you could have asked questions or for me to share imagery, yeah? i could have shown my fur-on peat tanned garments i use for winter, or my birch burl or reindeer antler carvings. i can describe the place i live in extreme detail if i felt i had something to prove. i don't.. this is not a place for me. you lot good luck "surviving" the "wilderness". sorry your worlds are so small.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-06-2022 at 06:48 AM. Reason: restored deleted post

I've never been called Overcultural, or Overcultured, in my life! Thank you...

I had to look up LARPing.... not into that,... but Old... well, yeah, and there's some reasons for that.

I've always been amazed at the internet service some of the most remote places on the planet seem to have. The tower is rock throwing distance from my house, I have two routers and an extender, and I sometimes have trouble getting a signal. And yet, there seems to be pretty good service (and computers/phones) out where folks are living in the wilderness...

Alan

yes.. if you read my original post or understood any of it, you would have noticed i made mention of cell tower companies. there is a cell tower situated on the margins of a peatland next to the cabin i live in, which happens to be an isolated work residence, a remote field site in the bush. it is a fly-in and off grid in all other respects. i happen to have a work phone, which happens to connect to signal at that tower. i also happen to not live here all of the time and live from my tent etc when my seasonal work ends for at least a few months, and sometimes i might also live in a town. not a single misrepresentation on this thread has come from me- but you lot sure want to approach me with presumptuousness. i understand this might be difficult for someone with no realistic idea or experience of much of what folks might call the north/bush/"wilderness", or seasonal lifestyles. are you trying to prove some kind of point, and if so, what even is it? that i was too descriptive of my surroundings, used too big of words, was too boldly acknowledging of the sacredness i see in land? will you continue to pretend to know my context? is your ego just hurt that a young woman's come in talking too fervently about a lifeway you aren't even willing to be curious about? you trying to do a "gotcha" because i happen to have internet access? who's bringing suppositions about "wilderness" in, here? and what the heck are YOU doing screengazing at your age anyway??? how pitiful the old when they possess none of the qualities of true elders. you folk , yes, of the overculture, of US culture, accumulate so many years, and for what? at the end of things you have not even the mind to ask someone's story before mocking them.

Wow, pretty thin skinned. So you got upset that somebody questioned the voracity of your claims. Rather than discuss/debate you childishly came back, deleted your first two posts and then made your final, insulting post. OK. Kind of like taking your marbles and going home.

Just so that you know (I know you will be back to see the responses you get), I have restored your first two posts so that all can see what the fuss is about. You have also forfeited your access to this forum.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well that was pretty good.

You made no mention of cell towers. You see? Even though you deleted your posts, we can restore them. Nope, no cell towers mentioned.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

“you got upset that somebody questioned the voracity of your claims. Rather than discuss/debate”

Well no, if you read unbiasedly you would have seen that I was explicitly upset no one did ask and instead only mocked.. I am very open to questions which is why I addressed nearly everything I was mocked about. If you can put yourself in another’s shoes it is pretty frustrating to be met with no curiosity/questions and only mockery. I think you can tell I am pretty fervent about my lifeways and it is a soft spot for me to be so flagrantly dismissed, yes. But questions? I’m always open to those. I was not met with a single one.

And rick, read more carefully. This is a quote from the restored post: “loggers and oil folk and cell tower companies too”. I was explicitly mentioning all of the things I am immediately surrounded by up here.. btw the restored post left out the most important part at the end of my original post, where I wrote “I hope I can learn something from you all, take care”. I was here with a mind to learn. You see how it’s then quite upsetting to be mocked when approaching others openly? I feel the need to defend myself, say what you want or will, frame it how you will. You are all very unkind and uncurious which I reiterate to be poor qualities.
    Last edited by Shdvdbdhdhdkcnc; 08-06-2022 at 12:38 PM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I especially like the parts where he/she/it argues over the location of their IP address!

Never in the history of bogus posting has anyone ever been where they claimed to be.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

still not a single question? at this point i only can laugh. have you enver heard of data roaming on phones hotspots?

https://i.imgur.com/mJg7aVH.jpg -- grizzly family this early spring, early early may when snow still blankets the forest. the forest is dominantly black spruce, lodgepole pine, balsam fir, a few canoe birch but winter ice storms tend to kill them before they get very old. this family has visited me two years in a row. they walk on songlines multigenerationally and cross mudpaths on the mountaintop in the same place regularly, i have observed this over years of spending time here. the mountain is flat topped subalpine and i know deeply its ecology. i make sewing threads from the stinging nettles, i eat of the berries- cloudberries, crowberries, lingonberries, velvetleaf blueberries, raspberries, wild strawberries-- i eat of the nettles and the lambsquarters and i have a permaculture hugel set up . i have nurtured beaked hazelnuts and cultivars of pines which bear better pinenuts than do the lodgepoles. tell me how someone from chicago would know to this depth of things? i can describe the tea coloured creek which flows south from the bog and off the mountaintop. i can describe the cell towers and the endless destruction of the forests, the practices of spraying glyphosate in large areas around clearcuts to kill all plants but conifers. i can describe the boreal owls calls throughout winter,spring, into early summer. i can describe the sandhill cranes who fly in circles in recognizance of some checkpoint along their migratory routes/songlines. google sometimes thinks i am in oklahoma city, then tells me i am in calgary, or los angeles. obviously i am nowhere but here on ibi.
    https://i.imgur.com/rgCVVwq.jpg -- my peat tanning projects, this is just from the peatland which holds stunted black spruce and dwarf/bog birch and sundews and cloudberries. i bury fur on hides in peat but only in the cold season because once daytime air temps reach 15c consistently, and the sun is quite intense, the temps of the pools in the bog heat up very quickly and tannic acids etc can no longer suppress microbial activity. this is unlike in places of the world like scotland with much older bogs that are much more concentrated in tannins from sphagnum. i am probably the only person doing peat tanning in north america, and i'm the only one i've heard of doing it fur on. you will notice the colour of the hide is not unlike the colour of bog bodies found in europe. unlike you all , i consider strangers as potential teachers. it's a shame i could not be extended this same courtesy. this colour of tan is explicitly of peatlands, and you cannot get it from the kind of things they call "bogs" south of the border. in my experiences only an ombrotrophic, precipitation-fed, aka high elevation, bog will do, at least in canada in the regions i have attempted this.
    https://i.imgur.com/3s9eg2S.jpg -- bog shoes i made and the only shoes i wear in the warm/fire season. i am a barefoot advocate because it is very healthy posturally. and yes i like to say bearfooted because i have interactions with grizzlies and black bears both. these were made using old deerskin i had in a closet. future pairs i make will be made with raw hide and i will use them to walk in the bog. the peat actually tans them over time traditionally hence the name .

uncurious losers. i have so much else i could share but i will not. this is why i originally cleared my post. what good is it trying to share one's world if only met with dismissal and disbelief? again i ask: how on earth have your worlds become so small? you think you know everything and that no one has anything to offer, or if you do you must mock and "debate" them before ever listening. i hope so much i never become this way as i age.
    Last edited by dghsedrgkergekrhg; 08-06-2022 at 01:35 PM.

Good heavens. Are you on medication? This one forum bothers you so much that you had to register twice to toss out some irrational rants and tell everyone how hopeless we are? I do hope you feel better. We uncurious losers will, no doubt, have to trudge on in life missing out on whatever truths that you intended to share. The one good thing I can say about my small world is I still have coffee. I've tried your dandelion roots. You can have them.

hahha! well you are right on some level. i am fogged in and mainly bored. i am going to tend, pluck invasive white cockles, and spread wild seeds. likewise my gratification is that small people will never know this world i live in, but it's not pure gratification. it is sad. you folk couldn't recognize the real even if it was right in front of your face or handed to you.

recommended reading for you all, if any you ever read books? maybe someone out there can have fun.

ernest becker-- the birth and death of meaning & the denial of death

see ya!

That's true. I live in a world of fantasy and make believe. Nothing is real. Not even you.

Well, I suppose we all knew that you would come back. You say that you got upset because nobody asked you questions. How do you respond. Like a petulant child. I suppose that if you do decide to respond that you will have to create a fourth persona. If we matter so little, why did you take the time to come back. Oh, that's right...it's foggy and you're bored.

Go be bored elsewhere and good luck with that.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 08-07-2022 at 06:36 AM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel