Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Water Line

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Water Line

Water line is leaking. Riddled with pinhole leaks at this point.

Ain't nothing made to last any more! That line was only put in in 1973! Now I have it to do over.

I'm not digging any ditches this time. Calling a guy with a machine. Money well spent.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

If you would have done it right the first time.......... Still, almost 50 years ain't too bad.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You are absolutely right Crash!

When I bought this place I ran new plumbing throughout. It works fine.

What was the only thing I did not replace? The main underground feed line.

That is where the leaks are.

What size is the main line and what is it made out of?

Alan

I found out we needed a bigger poopy pipe
    I found the city sewer 6 ft down. What a *****.

The reason I asked is,

I had to replace my main line as well. It was 2” pvc. I just ran 1 1/4” pipe inside the existing line. Only had to dig two holes.

Alan

I'm guessing that the supply line is cast iron. Mine was when I replaced it several years ago. With the hard wather we have down here, that 2" line probably had about 1/16" of open area for flow. No leaks that we knew of, but the flow sucked. Our cast iron was put in in the late 50's.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Mine is the old black plastic. It is the kind we used to use to run water lines on the farm for hundreds o9f feet. It is a 3/4" line.

Apparently all the Greenies are wrong! Plastic does not last for 25,000 years before it breaks down!

Lowes, Home Depot and Maenads no longer stock any of the fittings needed for repair of that type plastic line in my area. We used to call it neoprene pipe. Everyone has gone to PEX.

They are even getting away from PVC since the mfgs have backed the warranty on PVC back from 25 years to 10 years.

I have only had to call a plumber once in my life, and that was for a hookup that required a licensed plumber to sign off on the installment.

After crawling under the house about 10 times and finding more leaks each time, and more "old guy pain", I have decided to pay the man and let him take the pain killers. Besides, I don't own a ditch digger.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 07-19-2022 at 01:15 AM.

In the past I did all of my own plumbing, even when I built an extension to a house for a bathroom. Now with my back, I cannot bend, or work kneeling (muscles go into a spasm within seconds of kneeling due to nerve damage), so now I call a plumber any time bending/kneeling is required. I should point out, here at my condo we have a plumber on call 24/7 and I only have to pay for parts not labor so screw it-let him do the bending and kneeling...

I had a plumber out today clearing a root clog in the main sewer line. Getting rid of the water is much more important than getting it…. I will pay for that every time.

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 07-20-2022 at 12:53 PM.

Wow!!

I have been on the phone all day trying to schedule a plumber.

As soon as I tell them "broken water line in a crawl space" they instantly say "we don't do those!"

They won't even come out and look at it. All say they are covered up with new construction installs and appliance repairs.

One guy told me his guys would quit if he tried to send them under a 50 year old house.

Last guy I called did tell me where I can get the parts I need. That is my last hope. The place is closed tonight so I have to go in the morning.

Does the line Have to go back under the house? If not, crawl under there one more time and cap it, then tie in someplace else...

Alan

Wow is right. While I never liked going into crawl spaces, it was part of my job and what I needed to do. Sounds like the plumbers in your area are flush with jobs and don't want to take those that might "challenge their skills".
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Well, I guess that since wet wipes (you know the ones I'm talking about) are "tested with plumbers" they're all out there looking at wet wipes.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I suppose this is a follow up of sorts.

The last plumber that I talked to was at least helpful in telling me where I could find the parts I needed. All I had to have was a section of 3/4" line and two compression fittings. I went to the supply house and bought them yesterday morning.

No place in my area would tell me where to go and get these simple items. They knew where to source them but would not refer any business to them. They generally service the trade but will sell to individuals.

The two compression fittings cost me $90. I would have paid twice that at that moment.

We had such a high heat index here yesterday that I waited until dark to do the work. It is under the house and needs light for entry anyway.

Last night I went under there and installed the patch. It took me an hour.

That was exactly what I had estimated when I first looked at the leak. I knew exactly what I needed and took a week to find it and actually contemplated the possibility that I never would find the two simple parts and would have to dig a new line.

The real lesson I learned from all of this is that I went to university for half my life and acquired several degrees and now realize that I should have been a plumber. They make more money and get more respect. No one ever called me and begged me to come tutor their kids for their SAT test at any price I named!

Tell your grandkids not to waste their lives trying to pay back student loans. Sign up for an apprenticeship program with a good licensed plumber.

Amen brother.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It used to really tick me off how all my academically challenged clients were being told by the school that they had to go to college or live on the streets. (They keep count of how many high school graduates go to college.) So I'd pull out my home brew "test" that was actually a list of alternatives to college and why they should be considered. It was often an epiphany.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

The saying "learn a trade and you will never go hungry" was true then and is still true.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Once I made the mistake of saying to a friend, I'm cheap. He laughed and said I'm calling bull stinky on that. You're not cheap, you're frugal and there's a big difference.

I wanted have a filter installed on our well. A plumber quoted $350. I did some reading and installed it myself. The filter was less than $70 and I added another ball valve under the sink to make it easier than the one already under the cabin. Cost was around $100 or under $70 without the extra lever ball valve.
    A nearby lightning strike knocked out the HVAC's thermostat and two ceiling fan controllers. I forget what I was quoted; however, an 80 kA Home Electronics Protective (surge) Device (HEPD) was $92. It came with a how to picture and the only tool needed was a flat blade screwdriver. Plus, the common sense to turn the mains off.

There is a lot I can't do because of the investment in "tools" required. OTOH, there is a lot any of one can do with a screwdriver.

There is a lot of truth in that. A screwdriver and a Crescent Hammer can accomplish a lot.

For those that were wondering........this is a Crescent Hammer.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 09-05-2022 at 10:55 AM.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel