Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what would be your 10 items for the alone tv show?

Default what would be your 10 items for the alone tv show?

here's the list of allowed selections. If it's not on this list, you can't take it. no guns, steel traps, rods or reels, no poison, no treblehooks, no barbed hooks, no lures, no airguns, no crossbow, no compound bow.

https://www.google.com/search?q=gear...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I'd take a slingbow with 3 piece take down arrows, 6 of them featuring Zwickey judohead blunts and flu-flu fletching, the snarewire, a rope hammock, a reflective tyvek bivy, a ration of pemmican, a ration of trail mix, a reflective 12x12 tarp, a big roll of duct tap Max, a modified Cold steel shovel (adding 8" of saw teeth) a modified Crunch mulitool.

They launch in Mid september, didn't see 20F on Vancouver Island, nor 10F on Labrador Island or chilko lake, Patagonia or Mongolia. There's no need of a fire in your shelter, nor a sleeping bag, nor all that much of a shelter. You get to have 6 layers of clothing and put debris between each layer. That's enough for sleeping, out of the wind, on a pile of debris, at 20F, with no shelter at all., if you know to have alpaca wool clothing. A fire inside your shelter is a pointless hazard and a waste of 2-3 weeks' worth of calories. The huge shelters that they build are a waste of 1-2 weeks of calories, too. Just the twice per day boiling of 2 qts of water at a time adds up to a waste of a week's calories. So every last one of them could last a month longer, if they knew anything. A month more would have changed the name of the winner on all seasons but #6.
    Last edited by didnot; 12-22-2022 at 08:58 PM.

Well, since two of the winners of the show have been members of this forum, their lists may be worth looking at. Of course, not a single person has tapped out because they brought the wrong gear (bring what works for you - - - and that may not work for somebody else).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

1. slingbow
    2. 3 piece take down arrows, 6 of them
    3. snare wire
    4. rope hammock
    5. reflective tyvek bivy,
    6. ration of pemmican
    7. ration of trail mix
    8. reflective 12x12 tarp
    9. roll of duct tap Max
    10. modified Cold steel shove
    11. modified Crunch mulitool

That was more than 10 items or was my math wrong?

arrows are not counted separately. If you take the two sweaters made cotton rope strands, you dont need the cotton rope hammock, so that leaves one pick still open. Use it to take the 3 lb block of salt. It doesnt even freeze for their first month on site, cause they launch in mid September. google for a monthly temp chart of Labrador island. It never fails to thaw by mid afternoon for their second month. They never see the second week in Dec or 10F degrees, so there's no need of a sleeping bag, a fire inside of the shelter, or more shelter than a winterized tent. Just bring alpaca wool clothing, put debris between each layer and you'll be fine. Keep the tent 4x4x 9 ft, stuffed with debris Have a 30" wide, 6.5 ft long, 6" high raised bed and stuff the tent with compressed dry debris or pine boughs. After it's cold enough for rain to no longer be a threat, add another pole frame on the OUTSIDE of the pole tent, with a 6" thick layer of dry debris and then a 1" thick layer of mud mixed with grass. Once that "shell of mud freezes, youll not need a fire nor sleeping bag down to at least 0F This is how you gain 3 weeks of calories that everyone else wastes. Then you gain another week's calories by stone-boiling 3 gallons of water at a time, in a tarp-lined pit, once every three days. Store the water in a bag and basket made of vines, tarp and tape. Keep it in a pile of debris, in your shelter and it wont freeze.

Save yet another week by bringing the 10,000 calories of pemmican and trail mix, and mix them with cambium. You can gain another week by making netting out of the sweaters and using it to catch crayfish, birds, rabbits. Use the Crunch to cut the - off of the judohead blunts and make fishhooks out of them. With the 6 weeks of conserved energy and time, you've got a much better chance of clubbing a porcupine or arrowing a beaver. If you get such a 20,000 calorie critter, that's another week's calories. 6-7 weeks more staying-power, just by knowing what to take and do, without any lucky kill of a bear, which is the only big game you're allowed to take on Labrador Island. A 200 lb bear, fat for hibernation, is 200,000 calories, enough food for 60 days of losing no weight, if you stay holed up in your sleeping set up.

the axe, paracord, cookpot, ferrorod fishing kit are wasted picks. The saw, sleeping bag, bow are inferior picks

See, everyone ASSUMES that they are going to have to get thru the winter, but the most you'll need is 80 days. You wont make it to mid December. So there's no need of a warming fire, which means no need of axe or saw. HUGE savings of time and calories, right there. Ditto not needing 1-2 weeks to make a shelter that's so poor that it needs a fire inside of it

The Innuit needed no warming fires inside of their igloos, even at 40F degrees colder temps, out in the wind on the ice pack for 4 months at a time. They had no debris-stuffing, either. They often went naked in their igloos so as to prevent or at least delay having the insides of their shelters melt. Once the snow glazes over, the igloo is no longer insulative nor reflective, so they have to build another one.

Nobody who failed to last 70 days is worth looking at. I dont agree with 3/4 or more of anyone's gear list, cause they are easily proven to be inferior
    Last edited by didnot; 12-26-2022 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Well, since two of the winners of the show have been members of this forum, their lists may be worth looking at. Of course, not a single person has tapped out because they brought the wrong gear (bring what works for you - - - and that may not work for somebody else).

definitely, doing without a sleeping bag and ferrorod wont work for the sort of incompetents that have comprised 95% of the contestants so far and yes, they DID tap out, at least partially, due to having the wrong gear. They did without the tarp, the tape, the rations, the salt cause they didn't know how to do without the paracord, ferrorod, fishing gear, bow and cookpot. A 130 lb deer offers only 40,000 calories and if you're walking around all day hunting, making a cabin, etc, you need to eat 4000 calories per day. Biko had 270,000 calorie advantage on the winnder, but he was clueless about how to conserve his calories and he broke-weak.

As you'd see if you could comprehend what you read I listed the 6 arrows as one item.
    "2. 3 piece take down arrows, 6 of them"

As you see, they are listed as one item under number 2. I didn't count the arrows separately.

Do you have reading comprehension problems among your other issues?

There's a TV ad stating "Be all you can be." In your case it is pretend to be all you wannabe.
    And, failing miserably.

Have you ever stayed out 70+ plus days? Have you ever taken a 200 lb bear (that's on the small side) with a sling bow? How close were you when you did that? How many arrows did you use? Curious minds want to know.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm working on my list...

1. Truck
    2. phone and charger
    3. two credit cards
    4. AARP card for Hotel discounts
    5. Three changes of clothes
    6. Laptop
    7. shaving kit with personal items
    8. Swim trunks
    9. crocs
    10. Luggage

That should be plenty. But the most I fell like being away from home is about a week or less, so, I guess I wouldn't win...

Alan

Laptop and phone count as one (electronics). (If I were you, I'd swap out crocs for Wife #1. Just sayin') I know, I know...it ain't my list but I'm just tryin' to help. I'd hate to see you start workin' on wife #2 this late in the game. Otherwise, a very fine list.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Ok, ok… I’ll combine electronics and add #1 wife, but it’s going to cut into the survival time….

Alan

But, but the survival time will be so much more fun. You could always take a slingbow and go after those 200 lb bears.

Well, they are like 400,000 extra calories. Roughly the equivalent of two Big Macs, with fries!

You just have to remember not to shoot the highest bear in the tree because they’re falling bodies with frighten the bears in the lower branches.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Well, they are like 400,000 extra calories. Roughly the equivalent of two Big Macs, with fries!

You just have to remember not to shoot the highest bear in the tree because they’re falling bodies with frighten the bears in the lower branches.

Alan
    Not if you silence your sling bow.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Ok, ok… I’ll combine electronics and add #1 wife, but it’s going to cut into the survival time….

Alan
    Very possibly not including #1 wife would drastically and dramatically cut your survival time short.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Some days it’s a toss-up. Some days a tree full of 200# frightened bears might be the safest place to be.

Alan

True dat....

But, I'm going to be serious about this for a moment... because it is a serious topic... I mean, getting lost in the wilderness and having to survive by our wits and ends is something that happens to us all at one time or another, right? Some of us two, three, four, or more times...

To me, the whole idea of getting to choose some items to take on these totally unplanned and perilous adventures, accompanied only by a camera crew with drones and phones, and such, is just silly... I think it would be much more appropriate to have the person have to crash land an airplane, or parachute out over unknown country, or be placed on a sinking boat, or blindfolded and spun around 50 times as everyone else runs away... I think there should be tigers, or bears, or skunks all over the place and mosquitos and bees....

Time alone is a minimum of 1 year, 365 days and nights...

The reward is bragging rights, cause after all doing it for money is kinda hypocritical... A survival guy don't need money, he needs flint...

Make it real and only film the 366th day when they walk out of the woods triumphant!

That's what I think....

Alan

Yes, it is a serious topic and the whole concept is those TV shows are entertaining, but silly. In short, I don't watch them. Based on the scenery, nature shows are a lot better

"Alone and others aren't real. If a contestant falls and breaks a leg; the medics show up. If they had enough and "tap out," they are flown out.

I accept there is no way I could ever carry everything needed with me to survive through 4 seasons.

Those shows are entertainment and nothing more.

After running out of coffee, after two days of baboon butt, after running into that first skunk (or tiger or bear but for sure the first skunk), after one night with mosquitoes or one day with bees, I would tap out. AND, there had better be money. Yes, I am a hypocrite. Of the worse sort. If I have to endure any of the above I want money. Lots of money. I will brag that I made lots of money. Then I will go have a cup of coffee and a bacon sammich.

Baboon butt is a deal breaker for me... There ain't enough Spanish Moss in Louisiana and Florida for me to do that outside of ABSOLUTE necessity.

I used to tell my History students on the first day of class that they live in a wonderful age, a time that, thanks to the ingenuity and foresight of their forefathers they are able to live in a comfort not known to most of humanity throughout the ages... They live in the Golden Age of Toilets and Toilet paper.... It kinda set the tone, ya know...

Alan