Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A link to some primitive weapons Now what would your list of diy weapons be

Thumbs up A link to some primitive weapons Now what would your list of diy weapons be

So saw this and immediately thought that it was like taken out of our own neck of the woods.. Was thinking though, how many more primitive weapons could be made in the wild.
    Well I doubt anyone is going to recreate Leonardo da Vinci's crossbow or a Chinese nun chucks in the wild (though both can be fabricated in the wild) but a Blow Gun is a real possibility, a spiked Bull Whip, a stone axe (tool or weapon), a weighted paracord netting for fish or small game (Gladiator reference anyone? JK), dyi smoke bomb (no kaboom), poison darts for small game, and either a glass or bone knife.

Lets say you were like on a river and the boat capsizes and you lose all your gear and ammo as you are pulled down the river and end up on a river bank a few miles or so ( as you were disoriented form all the bobbing in and out of the water trying to fight the current) and all you had on you was a small folder. What would you make for additional tools or weapons to get you back to civilization?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

So no one is going to come looking for you when you don't come home?

Not very popular, are you?

BTW, did you fall out of the canoe into a Yankee river or a southern river? Your chances of surviving till you get to the bank vary with the geography. When you go south there can be dragons, water mocs, and rattlers waiting on the bank.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I would just walk to a road and catch a ride back to town...

Alan

Well, since I still have a knife - - - I'm good. If I need something else, I'll grab a large stick.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I employ the tried and true method of survival. Listen for traffic then walk in that direction. I usually point in that direction as well. Just for effect.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

You should point with both hands so both the left and right side of your brain know which way to go.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    So no one is going to come looking for you when you don't come home?

Not very popular, are you?

BTW, did you fall out of the canoe into a Yankee river or a southern river? Your chances of surviving till you get to the bank vary with the geography. When you go south there can be dragons, water mocs, and rattlers waiting on the bank.

Nope Kyratshooter, no one would be looking for me any time soon if that actually happened to me. Only talk to 4 people in this world, and haven't seen anyone for months.

BTW Crash all those beautiful knives u made, u never made a bone or rock blade? and those knives of yours truly are master pieces...

btw we had a few members post about blow guns and rabbit sticks some great vids of the rabbit stick

I have made several blades from bone and rock. Bone is relatively easy. Rock is easy as well if you live where there are rocks. That may sound strange, but North Florida is not the home to rocks.

BTW when I say easy, I do not mean pretty. I've got a bucket of flint and other assorted rocks for knapping (not to be confused with napping) Where one good strike with a bopper (antler, stone, copper, etc) will yield a shard that is as sharp or sharper than most knives. You can filet a fish or skin an animal with the shards. May not be pretty, but pretty darn useful.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote=Alan "You should point with both hands so both the left and right side of your brain know which way to go."

Do you know how confusing that would be for me? I still haven't mastered walking. I do okay most days. Throw in pointing with two hands and I've have to sit down for sure.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Just put both arms out in front of you with index fingers extended in the direction you want to go. Now look at your left finger with your right eye and your right finger with your left eye... Now slowly bring the two fingers together and bring them closer to your face (watching them the whole time) until the finger tips are on the bridge of your nose....

This won't help yo get out of the woods but it would be funny for the rest of us to watch!

Alan

In a hypothetical scenario where you weren't anywhere near civilization and didn't have a knife on you (plane crash, maybe?), I've heard spears are a relatively easy and good thing to make because supposedly humans are much better at throwing things than any other animal and that's how we hunted back in the stone age.

Whoever came up with that theory has clearly never seen me throw a baseball but I'll take their word for it.

I can only speak for myself, but it seems that nearly every life threatening scenario I have been in involved me being hurt & it included me being far from civilization, or having a major obstacle involved ( think Cliffs, mountains, the ocean, or a huge A$$ wall)

Spinning out of control off a bridge on an ATV on 800 acres of private land (sprang wrists, concussion, multiple lacerations and a huge gash on my knee); falling off a 12 foot ledge landing on my back breaking several ribs and a concussion, with no way getting back to the elevation and area I previously was at; wet & Freezing on an island beach with several miles back to civilization while on foot with a ton of gear (used a sled to haul the gear on top of my backpack).

I remember the story of my Uncle Rick ( no not our Rick from this site, sorry Rick not related) at our family built cabin in upstate NY, wandering the Mountain side alone when he was a teen, and happened to wonder too far and he waited too long to start trekking back and ended up alone in pitch blackness on the side of a Mountain. Police were notified, a search party formed, only to have him frolic back to the cabin the next day.

One can make a joke about primitive weapons, but even if you have your knife, you still are going to need to make some items to help you survive. Trying to kill a fish for example with your knife or catching them with your bare hands is truly difficult. But using that knife to make a forked spear greatly increases your odds of spearing a fish, or using the knife and making a fishing net out of vines or long thin strips of bark. Setting up a man made bottleneck in the river also will increase your odds

I especially enjoyed watching a video on this website of that foreign fellow that made a stone knife & a stone axe and digging tool to create a shelter with hand made clay tile roof, and a pool for fish.

Many might think hell if he can do it I can do it, but truth be told, what he did takes knowledge, skill and practice.

Point being, I rather learn and practice a skill like building primitive weapons and never have the opportunity or need to make/use them, then being in a situation with no gear and far away form civilization and need to make them but not know how. Also take into consideration, how many people have died being only a few clicks away from civilization. Sometimes one just needs to survive the night or weekend, and every little bit helps increase ones odds of survival.

Surviving most of the life threatening situations I've been in involved simply getting out of the bar and the parking lot....

Alan

Mine have been failing to explain to the wife...just about anything. For some reason, I was always a work in progress.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Mine have been failing to explain to the wife...just about anything. For some reason, I was always a work in progress.
    Happy Wife...Happy Life...

There is an old saying Hell hath no Fury like a woman's scorn...

O.O placed that in wrong thread
    Last edited by Michael aka Mac; 07-09-2022 at 04:55 PM. Reason: wrong thread

To satisfy my curiosity, I built a V with rocks in the creek and it trapped trout. At least until my guess, a game warden dismantled it.

What one can do depends on where one lives and what is available there.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael aka Mac View Post

So saw this and immediately thought that it was like taken out of our own neck of the woods.. Was thinking though, how many more primitive weapons could be made in the wild.
    Well I doubt anyone is going to recreate Leonardo da Vinci's crossbow or a Chinese nun chucks in the wild (though both can be fabricated in the wild) but a Blow Gun is a real possibility, a spiked Bull Whip, a stone axe (tool or weapon), a weighted paracord netting for fish or small game (Gladiator reference anyone? JK), dyi smoke bomb (no kaboom), poison darts for small game, and either a glass or bone knife.

Lets say you were like on a river and the boat capsizes and you lose all your gear and ammo as you are pulled down the river and end up on a river bank a few miles or so ( as you were disoriented form all the bobbing in and out of the water trying to fight the current) and all you had on you was a small folder. What would you make for additional tools or weapons to get you back to civilization?
    Since I was a kid, I used to make some simple tools from scratch, even without a knife. I crafted mostly spears for fishing and dispatching small game, but also the bola, a simple weapon made of cordage and 3 rocks, amazing for hunting birds in the open or at the riverside, but terrible into dense forest. I also crafted some simple traps and snares. But I used to spend most of my time making fire, since it was and still is hard for me to craft and use the bow drill. But it's better than using rocks like a kid
    Oh, and you guys should not underestimate the wooden knife, it's easy to make and it's "okay" to use at butchering and cooking. But for crafting you are beter off using a stone knife of even a sharp stone.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Deimos,
    Same here except nothing as complex as a bola. I did build a sling once. After lots of practice, I did hit the side of the chicken coop.
    Judging by the depth of the impact; David could have killed Goliath and my parents threatened me with same..

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    Deimos,
    Same here except nothing as complex as a bola. I did build a sling once. After lots of practice, I did hit the side of the chicken coop.
    Judging by the depth of the impact; David could have killed Goliath and my parents threatened me with same..
    I also wreaked havock with an slingshot, an airgun and even a crude pipe gun. I'm lucky that nobody got hurt. Well, no human got hurt. I hunted so much small game and vermins along with my friends that a lot of times I came home and I wasn't even hungry.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.