Thread: Two easy methods to save money at major retailers

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Default Two easy methods to save money at major retailers

Two things you should do before any major purchase. ("Major" being defined as any amount you choose.):

1) Visit the Gift Card trading websites to see if they have a discounted card available from the merchant where you want to shop.

http://www.plasticjungle.com
    http://www.giftcardrescue.com/merchants/sell
    http://www.monstergiftcard.com/search.php

For example, right now there are 2 Sierra Trading Post cards available at http://www.monstergiftcard.com/searc...category_id=29 for 15% off. (That's a $100 face value card you purchase for just $85. Gift Cards from many major retailers are available from 5-15% off. I often save 10% at Lowes & Home Depot. Target, Walmart, Macys, Best Buy always seem to be available, albiet at lesser discounts. Some of these sites (Plastic Jungle for sure) offer a free "Alert" service that sends you an email whenever a card you want is posted. Very handy!

2) Visit eBay and search the retailers name for discount coupons. For example, there are always 10% off coupons for Lowes and Home Depot available, usually for just a few dollars. (eBay is also a huge seller of discounted gift cards, however most are auction format which means it'll be days before you win and you could easily be overbid. My experience is bidding on gift cards at eBay is frustrating and rarely a good deal. I much prefer the sites above.)

Using these two methods, I routinely save 20% on my purchases, BEFORE the retailer's sale or everyday price.

A final note: most retailers accept gift cards and coupons online, so you can use these methods to make purchases from retailers not located in your area or on products not normally stocked. Sometimes, I buy it all online, have it "shipped to the store for free" and then just pick-it up. Saves time and money.
    Last edited by TucsonMax; 01-18-2010 at 12:30 PM.
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

You can also find discounts with places like:

http://www.savings.com/
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Good tips. Thanks.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Banned

One thing most people don't realize is you can actually reason with people and get a discount or even free things. Here are a few examples from my own life.
    1) I went to a BIG sporting Goods Store. They had a pair of boots I really wanted. They let me try them on and even wear them around the store for an hour or so. They were the one pair of hiking boots NOT on sale that week. I asked to talk to the manager. When he came up I said, "I really like these boots but they are a little out of my price range. I see all the other boots are 35 - 50% off right now these are the only boots not on sale. I don't suppose I could get 25% off the price since I've had my feet in them the past hour?", and I chuckled and said everything as jovially as I could. "Yes Sir I think we can do that for you. Would you like to wear them out." Yes it did go just that easy. These were $200 boots so 25% was $50. No small discount in my opinion.
    2) I had the tie rods go out in my car. I'm no mechanic, beyond oil, tire and simple part changes. I took it to my(at the time) regular shop. They looked over my car and quoted me a price. I said to the guy, "Look can I ask you a favor? I'm a little short on cash right now and that's more than I can spend. Can you treat me like I'm your best friend or brother and work with me on that price a bit? I wouldn't ask but just like everyone else I gotta have my car. Could you help me please?" "Well you ARE a regular customer.", he said and walked back over to the computer and gave me his employee discount. The repair went from just over $600 to just under $500.
    3) My modem went south. I called AT&T about it and they told me a new modem would be $79.95. I expressed my disbelief. "How is it I can cancel my service, then call back tomorrow and sign up for service again and get a new modem; but if I continue my service I have to pay for the same device? I find that unreasonable on your part and don't think I should have to pay for something that will keep me using your services. I think you should tell your manager that I feel that if I have to pay for new equipment on an old account I may as well cancel and go with someone else." I said all this calmly and as pleasantly as I could. The operator excused herself and the manager came on the line and I repeated my argument. The manager saw the logic in it and agreed to give me the new modem for free.
    In the first two examples asking nicely for help appealed to the better angels of the men's natures. They helped out of the goodness of their hearts because I was a nice guy. In the third I showed them I wasn't a stupid sheep to just be charged for something that should have been free and they conceeded. Still being reasonable, logical and friendly can accomplish the same thing as a coupon.
    My exwife loved for me to go to flea markets and antique shops with her because she enjoyed watching me haggle, because I was good at it. She even bragged to her parents and siblings about how good I was.
    Last edited by hoosierarcher; 01-19-2010 at 02:44 PM.

I do this all the time for Lowes and Home Depot. I've bought probably a hundred Lowes coupons on eBay.

110 degrees in the shade TucsonMax's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    I do this all the time for Lowes and Home Depot. I've bought probably a hundred Lowes coupons on eBay.
    Great... so you're the guy I'm bidding against?
    Chance favors the prepared mind.

Currently there are many websites that provide free coupons and discount code that are very simple and easy for consumers. But I'm just an idiot that thought I could spam your site and get away with it. I was wrong.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 06-26-2022 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Idiot Spammer