Thread: My EDC bag & gear for City area in NY

Default My EDC bag & gear for City area in NY

The hardest part of putting together my edc system, was finding the bag itself. I am not a huge fan of fanny packs due to having a bad back, and I didn't want anything as big as a daypack. All of the shoulder bags that I was looking at weighed too much and were still too large. I already have my camping/bugout bag in my SUV, so all I really needed was something that I could bring the basic essentials. ( realize I live in Queens, NY, and unlike other parts of this country where one could be in the middle of nowhere with miles away in every direction from civilization, I am not too far away from help, so my edc bag may have less items then others).

What I finally settled with is an adjustable water bottle sling bag with cell phone compartment and mesh pocket ( similar to the Adidas Hydration Crossbody Water Bottle Sling Bag ) The 1st thing that went into this bag is what I use the most, my Victorinox SwissChamp or the WorkChamp XL pocket knife/tool. I bought the knives with the Swiss Army Sheath w/sharpening Rod and both will fit perfectly inside the cell phone compartment of the bag.

Since I am not using this bag for a water bottle, the inside compartment is just one large area for the rest of my gear. in a zip lock bag I have the following:

1. Mini LED Flashlight ( 3 AAA Batteries and I placed a non conductive plastic insert under on/off push button so the batteries do not drain )
    2. Ferro rod and striker
    3. Doan Magnesium fire starter
    4. Permanent Matchless lighter (capable of starting 15,000 fires)
    5. Survival Wire Saw (also known as a commando wire saw: 2 strong thick key chains connected to a barbed like wire, used like a chainsaw)
    6. Two Mylar Solar Blankets
    7. Water Purification Tablets
    8. Compressed Camp Towel ( looks like a miniature hockey puck until opened)
    9. Bic Lighter & waterproof matches
    10. extra 3, AAA Batteries
    11. Waterproof poncho
    12. Meds
    13. Cell phone

I also Carry the Schrade SCHF57 behind the gear (which is in the Zip Lock bag), but not in the bag, so that I have easy access to this knife for Bushcraft choirs. Last but not least, attached to the harness strap I have a 550 lb. paracord bracelet/w button compass that is wrapped around the strap.

I should also note that this water bottle bag is waterproof so that I can use it as a water container and drop the water purification tablets right into the bag filled with water. I also have a couple of supermarket produce bags used for water storage too. And of course, my wallet and a tactical pen are in the bag too.

On my Keychain that I attach to this edc bag, I have a Magnifying Glass, a mini folding pliers that I bought in Europe at a hardware store, the military P38 can/bottle opener, a mini high pitch whistle, and a Lucky Rabbits Foot ( think Tinder)

What this setup gives me?

Light: Having a non conductive piece of plastic over the battery compartment means that I will always have light, up to about a year after the battery expiration date. This prevents accidentally having the flashlight turn on inside of my pack and prevents the slow drain on the batteries from being connected, so no power drain over over the years during inactive use.

Shelter: The paracord survival bracelet separates (untangles) and can be used in conjunction with one of the Mylar Solar blankets to create a makeshift shelter while the other Mylar solar blanket is used as a reflective heat blanket.

Water Storage/Purification :The plastic produce bags can be filled with water then tied and left upright in the sun for 6 hours for SODIS ( Solar Water Disinfection), or can be used to collect moisture from foliage from the morning dew, and the shoulder bag can also be used for more immediate water purification via tablets.

Rain Gear: The waterproof Poncho is great for getting out of an unexpected downpour.

I have 6 means of creating fire, Bic Lighter, Magnesium Fire starter, Ferro rod and striker, permanent Matchless Lighter, & Magnifying Glass (focusing sun rays onto tinder), & waterproof matches.

I also have the means to procure firewood: The Swiss Army knife has a wood saw, then there is my Commando wire saw, and my Bushcraft Schrade knife can split logs using baton method, chop down dead trees and branches. Don't forget the rabbits foot which is like tinder when you apply a spark.

Food procurement: Both the wire saw & paracord can be used as a animal snare, the paracord can also be used as fishing line, and the needle in the Swiss Army Knife can be used as a makeshift hook.

Communication, Navigation & Survival info: The cell phone has apps for GPS, compass, flashlight, Maps and star mapping on top of being able to make phone calls. Downloading the PDF Viewer app or Kindle App allows you to read full downloaded books on your phone such as EMT books, edible plants info, and “How to” books.

For someone that lives in a more woodsy, outdoorsy, isolated area, I would suggest a heck of a lot more stuff. Items like : a map & compass, walkie-talkie, firearm, a more in depth 1st aid kit, canteen, & Ezbit stove or hobo stove, MSR mini-works water filter, and more paracord.

the edc Knife I use : https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Might think about a water key to open those weird faucets on schools and municipal buildings. Also a crow bar and bolt cutters.
    I'll post up the riot gun (It ain't legal in your neck of the woods) I built in the spring of '20. We had to pass through Atl and Charlotte. They were rioting.
    Last edited by madmax; 06-16-2022 at 04:29 PM.

Madmax, yea well no riot gun, and nor do I want one, but the rest of those items, I got them all, realize this is just what i carry with me when I go out,and not what i have stored in my Truck or "bug out" bags.

I have suitcases designated for specific jobs, from welding, soldering, electrical repair, electronic repair, computer repair, plumbing, auto, etc.

The bolt cutters ironically were a life saver... My Ex would lose the keys to the garage's door (used a padlock) and she would lose the Shed padlock key, her bikes padlock key, well she just lost keys lets just say that, so it paid for itself 100 times over past 20 years...

ok with that said, something I do STRONGLY recommend, is those all in one ratchet sockets. It is a socket that has like these steel pins that can adapt to and size nut and bolt head, or even eye hooks, so its like one socket that does the same as 3 drawers of socket sizes.

this isnt the one i have mine is the original brand that designed it but to get a looksie

https://www.amazon.com/Professional-...a-569486335411

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

You live in Queens?

It does not matter what you carry, you're gonna' die!

No need to waste time talking about the merits of the gear in question.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I am practically at the border between Queens & Nassau County, less then 2 mins, nothing around here more then 2 stories high, zero sky scrappers... SHFT hits I aint going to the airport, nor am I going to let myself get stuck in traffic for hours/days going over bridges, but rather take a Ferry to CT. Fall back plans are woods in the East.

And Glad to see you are a glass half full kind of guy Kyratshooter

Default Topexamhelp

I'm just an idiot spammer living in my mother's basement. I'm a loser, but hey......it's a living.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-14-2023 at 06:28 AM. Reason: Idiot Spammer

I wonder what kind of money spammers make? Do they get paid by the can or by the bite?

Alan

Apparently, by the bite as prolific as they are. Several years ago, it was Chinese spambots. Today it's every loser with a keyboard. Today, grandkids ask, what did you do, grandpa? Me? Why, I was an educator, a plumber, I drove a truck, I had a career in the military. Thirty years from now the answer will be...I sat in your grandmother's basement and annoyed the bejessus out people on forums by placing stupid posts that had no meaning. Sadly, the kid will probably answer, cool. uh, what's an educator, grandpa?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Michael AKA Mac,
    Bear with me for a moment, if you will. Obviously it sounds like you have spent quite some time, effort and money developing an in-dept plan. I admire and respect that effort and level of concern. I also realize your original post was about your EDC bag and what you typically carry on your person when you leave your home. I have not looked at any of your other posts but i would like to hear more about your plan for how you will manage/deal with a major winter storm or extended (5 to 7 day) power outage. I live in a fairly rural area of Oklahoma. I have driven through New York several times and one time a spent 3 weeks helping install and train employees on a sprinkler system in a 16 story building in midtown Manhattan, the idea of have to navigate 50 to 100 miles to "get out of the metro" is so at contrast to my world, I would like to hear more about your thoughts and plans, if you are so inclined and have the time. Merry Christmas. Dave