Thread: Topic discussion: Fixed Blade or Folder….

Default Topic discussion: Fixed Blade or Folder….

So are you a Folding Knife kind of person or a Fixed Blade Knife person, or both?

What is your EDC Knife?

So there are definitely pros and cons to both fixed blades and folders. Over the decades I personally have switched over to full tang fixed blades instead of folders. Knives like my Buck 110 are now in my footlocker, kept as a memento vs. utilizing it as a tool.

My folding knives like the Buck 110 were replaced by knives like the Ka-Bar BK2 companion, Ka-Bar Becker Necker, Condor Rodan, Tops Mil Spie 3, Oerla TAC OLF-1008, Schrade SCHF57, Boker Magnum lil giant, and a few skeleton knives.

The only pocket knives that I still use are the Victorinox Swiss Champ, and Workchamp XL w/locking blades.

Just remember, you get what u paid for, it is better not to go cheap imo. Below is from a google search:

An estimated 8,250,914 knife-related injuries were treated in US, from 1990 to 2008, of those Pocket/utility knives were 47 % of the injures (these were not from an assaults but induced from mechanical failure), 36 % of the total knife injures in that statistic was of self induced injures from kitchen knives.

So what is your EDC knife?

Urban. A 511 flip out lock blade

Woods. Crashdive123 custom sheath knife.

I carry a dedicated Opinel for food prep most of the time.

Every day I have a Victorinox in my pocket, an Opinel in my other pocket and a fixed blade of my own making on my belt. Sometimes more, but never less.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I don't like neck knives, and I work in an office setting that would not allow a fixed blade on a belt even if I was so inclined.
    I find most short bladed fixed blades also have handles that are too short to be used properly.
    So a larger folder rides in my pocket, and on weekends or when I am heading out to the bush I will add a fixed blade on my hip
    Treat all folders like a slip-joint and you will never have to worry about lock failure

You can;t go wrong with the Buck 110 Folder for EDC. However. fixed blade in a sheath certainly has it's uses; just not EDC.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Three blade Case stockman for just walking around.

If doing yard work it is a Marbles 4 blade camp knife.

Other knives as fits the occasion. If it's fixed blade dress up I will break out Crashblade #1 or #2. The knives are handsome but the sheaths are gorgeous.

I was delighted to see a documentary the other night where the natives in the Amazon were using the exact same machetes I prefer down to the brand. Tramontina makes a good knife be it 30" long or 6", and they won't cost you a months' pay. If they will keep people alive in the Amazon they will probably skin fish in KY.

How many hundred times have we done this thread? I guess its been a while.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Every day I put my Original Leatherman and Crashblade B&T on my belt and a KBar stockman and Leatherman Micra in my pocket. During the course of a day in the yard, garden and shop, each one will find a use somewhere somehow. The CB gets the lions share of use. I've probably sharpened about 1/4' off the blade in the 4 - 5 years I've had it.

For most of my life I carried a Schrade LB7 for general duty. Never used a fixed blade except for hunting, and then only for deer and hogs. I got used to that little CB pretty quick though...

When I go out to Dairy Queen with #1 wife I carry a Case "Pocketworn" Trapper that #3 son gave me some years ago.

I probably have several hundred knives of one kind or another. I get a knife, carry it for a year or so, retire it and get another one. Some I just got for the heck of it and then there's some that are just for looking at.

They all have a place.

Alan

Maybe I should have done that, but I'v stuck with my Buck 110 folder for years.

Maybe I should have done that, but I've stuck with my Buck 110 folder for years.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

A 110 is a good knife and if it meets your needs that is all that matters.

I have one in the knife box and I carried one EDC back when I raised cattle and was out on the farm daily. I just don't need a big knife as EDC any more.

I would suspect that everyone here over the age of 30 either owns one our has owned several over the years. They were basically the insignia of the outdoorsman for our generation.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I keep one in the console of my truck. It's one of those it's always there knives. I've got others like it scattered in various places. K-Bars, LB7s, UH7s, etc. you just never know...

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by CoyoteBC View Post
    I don't like neck knives, and I work in an office setting that would not allow a fixed blade on a belt even if I was so inclined.
    I find most short bladed fixed blades also have handles that are too short to be used properly.
    So a larger folder rides in my pocket, and on weekends or when I am heading out to the bush I will add a fixed blade on my hip
    Treat all folders like a slip-joint and you will never have to worry about lock failure
    For the longest time i didn't like neck knives either. Now I have 3, the Ka-Bar Becker Necker is my favorite but i also love this Bud K one.
    https://www.budk.com/High-Tech-Survi...nife-Set-20426

its a skeleton neck knife with finger gimps on top and bottom, slim molded sheath with built in whistle