Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Covid 19 food shortage, 2022, supermarket shelves were bare, How did you get by?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

That is true for almost any prey species in the wild, they are all infested with something from worms to chronic wasting disease and trichinosis in the wild boar. Even rabbits carry trichinosis and should be well cooked.

Be specially careful if you come across a Chinese bat or chimp meat from the congo!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

You gotta know what to eat, when to eat it and how to eat it. Rabbits and Oysters are good well cooked when taken in months with an "R" in them. We generally wait until after the first freeze to eat rabbits, when we eat rabbits.... I love raw oysters... I will NEVER eat another raw oyster as long as I live even if it means starvation...

Our experience with feral hog meat has been that it is much "cleaner" than domestic, pen raised hogs. Grass fed beef over feedlot beef any day of the week.

There are fish that are good to eat in the winter but unpalatable in the Spring and Summer. Some gar roe is poisonous as are some other commonly caught species.

Mushrooms fit right in there with raw oysters for me... Not gonna do it...

Wild plants (Kudzu was mentioned somewhere), come in three parts, roots, stems/leaves, fruit/seeds. Apricot and peach seeds look like almonds... They're not. Potatoes are yummy, Tomatoes are yummy, greens from either are going to give you a hard time even if you make it through.

I'm sure there's more.

I you don't know what you're eating, then it's likely not a good idea to do so... There's experts out there, some are still alive... I'm not, I'm going to take my chances down at the grocery store for most things...

Alan

kyratshooter,
    Well said!!

As you mentioned "Chinese bat or chimp meat from the congo." One of our good friend's daughter is a CDC epidemiologist who was assigned to Africa. Natives in Africa eat hippopotamus and they carry HIV/AIDS.

Wild game carries diseases so it needs to be well cooked no matter what it was. Another risk is when cleaning wild game as many nasty diseases can infect through wounds so wearing gloves is wise.
    Raccoon round worm eggs are so light they can become airborne and infect humans who breath them. Wearing a mask would be wise.
    http://www.austinpug.org/4-common-in...d-by-raccoons/

Even fresh water fish carry parasites if not cooked. Fresh water Sushi is a major no-no.

To survive long term will require knowledge, skill and a lot of luck.

Well, after reading that, I just stopped eating. Not that it would hurt me any.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by VnVet View Post
    kyratshooter,
    Well said!!

As you mentioned "Chinese bat or chimp meat from the congo." One of our good friend's daughter is a CDC epidemiologist who was assigned to Africa. Natives in Africa eat hippopotamus and they carry HIV/AIDS.

Wild game carries diseases so it needs to be well cooked no matter what it was. Another risk is when cleaning wild game as many nasty diseases can infect through wounds so wearing gloves is wise.
    Raccoon round worm eggs are so light they can become airborne and infect humans who breath them. Wearing a mask would be wise.
    http://www.austinpug.org/4-common-in...d-by-raccoons/

Even fresh water fish carry parasites if not cooked. Fresh water Sushi is a major no-no.

To survive long term will require knowledge, skill and a lot of luck.
    I LOVE eating rare meat, but when we are talking about game meat, I always eat well done. Even when we are talking about fish. We have racoons or some relative of them here at brazil but to be fair, I would rather fill my pot with birds. And that is only at a survival situation, we can't hunt a lot of things here, just a small number of invasive species.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.