Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Covid 19 food shortage, 2022, supermarket shelves were bare, How did you get by?

Default The Covid 19 food shortage, 2022, supermarket shelves were bare, How did you get by?

Starting this thread out of curiosity, and cause I think it will be a hot/useful topic. So how did you get through this stage of the pandemic.
    Were you one of the lucky ones that already had their food stash?
    Did you get online in time to get freeze dried food buckets & #10 cans.

Were you buying as much meat as you could? If so did you freeze them, canning, Jerky?

What was your focus on? Canned goods, Pastas, Grains, Beans, Flour, Meats

Many of us on this site were already prepared for this Pandemic with regard to food storage supplies, But there is always something one doesn't stock up enough on
    What was yours?

(ok so never ran out of TP, but sure was damn close Found some mini Chinese tp rolls online, and was lucky to get a huge Commercial Size box of Bathroom stall rolls that places like train stations use, and rest stops)

My personal biggest struggle was getting medicated pet food for our Stage 4 kidney disease cat, and in the end, the hardest part was finding a replacement Vet, when our Vet disclosed that our pet took up too much of their time for his monthly procedures so they dropped us due too their staff shortages. That resulted in his passing...

What you did, how you did it and where you got it may help others in future events.

What was the hardest thing to get for you,
    The biggest obstacle to overcome

#1 wife went to the store and bought what we needed. It was rough but she pushed that shopping basket around like a trooper... Sometimes it took me 6 - 7 trips out to her car to unload it when she got home. Fortunately I was able to gain 15# so I'm set for next Winter. Our dog and cat pretty much stuck to their diet of Kibbles and Bits and Kit&Kaboodle...

I don't know how we did it... We like those Target Fudgecicles and sometimes they were out of them...

Alan

Whoever horded my favorite cookies is a jerk. I am stocking up on them just so that never happens again.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Planned ahead. Not so much as a bump in the road. Other than ammo. And I just shot a .22 pellet gun. Until they got more in. I saved the good stuff.

Maybe working towards prepping super foods right now some. Canned beets comes to mind.

I'm thinking mylar packing with o2 absorbers some dog food. As big of a pia Tellico is I would not want to see him hungry.
    Last edited by madmax; 06-14-2022 at 06:45 PM.

Michael I'm not a cat person but I understand the connection with our pets. That's a tough way to lose one. So sorry

Howdy all
    We always have a stocked pantry, easily get by for 8 months to a year. The garden size is doubled this year also.
    I have been stocking up on fishing gear, hunting, and looking at ordering foraging books specific to my area. The daily meds are my biggest concern.
    Sometimes I wander because I’m lost

I've always been a bit of a prepper. Now, more than before. As far as covid shortages............I live in the free state of Florida. Went grocery shopping as usual.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I live in Queens, NY practically bordering Queens & Nassau County. By the time it was announced on Iheart radio of the food shortage, it was already too late. My spouse and I arrived at the Stop & Shop Supermarket , to find nearly 90 % of the store was emptied. Shelf by shelf , isle by isle we walked seeing practically nothing of use.

All that was left of the meat section was a few expensive corned beef briskets, and a handful of perdue fun shaped dinosaur chicken nuggets ( i left a few for the next shopper).

Pasta isle was no more, but it dawned upon me to check the foreign/international isle, and I found a few boxes of unusual shaped pasta from spain, and a couple of cans of spaghetti sauce.

After hitting the international isle and buying our small cart of food, the very next day I took off to a queens Indian market. There I found TP, and food. Anyone for some Aloo Gobi?

MADMAX thx for the kind words. The reality of covid 19 didn't happen until my biological mother died, found out from my younger brother's Facebook page (haven't spoken to him since, need to cool down) then our pet died when the Vet dropped us due to staff shortages, followed by 4 months later my spouse of 28 years kicking me out of her life, lost the house, forced to move (that was easy as she donated and threw out most of my stuff and emptied the bank account) and this was exactly 1 month after our 28th year anniversary, 1 day after my 2nd vaccine dose.

anyway i digress, One of the major drawbacks of living in the city, is the competition. A panic to get food here resulted in all the markets being totally wiped out, with a hording mentality approach, a domino effect occurred where everyone started to buy in bulk. In a smaller town on the other hand, the amount of people is more qual to the amount of food available in stores. ( with exception to individual food shortages nationwide like the Baby Formula situation this country is having.)

Quote Originally Posted by Michael aka Mac View Post
    Starting this thread out of curiosity, and cause I think it will be a hot/useful topic. So how did you get through this stage of the pandemic.
    Were you one of the lucky ones that already had their food stash?
    Did you get online in time to get freeze dried food buckets & #10 cans.

Were you buying as much meat as you could? If so did you freeze them, canning, Jerky?

What was your focus on? Canned goods, Pastas, Grains, Beans, Flour, Meats

Many of us on this site were already prepared for this Pandemic with regard to food storage supplies, But there is always something one doesn't stock up enough on
    What was yours?

(ok so never ran out of TP, but sure was damn close Found some mini Chinese tp rolls online, and was lucky to get a huge Commercial Size box of Bathroom stall rolls that places like train stations use, and rest stops)

My personal biggest struggle was getting medicated pet food for our Stage 4 kidney disease cat, and in the end, the hardest part was finding a replacement Vet, when our Vet disclosed that our pet took up too much of their time for his monthly procedures so they dropped us due too their staff shortages. That resulted in his passing...

What you did, how you did it and where you got it may help others in future events.

What was the hardest thing to get for you,
    The biggest obstacle to overcome
    Dear all
    We can easily survive for eight months to a year because our pantry is always filled. This year, the garden's size has also been increased.
    I've been loading up on hunting and fishing equipment and considering acquiring foraging books that are relevant to my region. The daily medications are my main worry.

I managed to get by because I always keep at least some food on my pantry. I also picked up some potatoes, some manioc root and some fruits from my garden when needed. I went fishing and I went hunting. I bougth food directly from the farmers. I had to get creative.
    I also worked a lot more to make ends meet.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

For those that were concerned about food shortages at the height of CV19, don't let your guard down. I believe it will get worse. There are a lot of factors that cause me to believe this. Keep stocking up. If I'm wrong it just means less grocery shopping down the road.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Kelly went through the food preps yesterday
    We atr going yo top it off today.
    I'm going to top off the .22 and 12 ammo.
    Headed to the cabin then to work on rain catch system and round out a kinda haphazard food prep.

What's all this about prepping? Don't know what you are talking about. (That's my story and I'm sticking to it)
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I'm with OGI on this one!

I have no idea how those flats of canned goods got under the beds. Doesn't everyone keep 20# of Chock Full O Nuts in reserve? 2,500 gallons of water in reserve,, that's in case of a fire!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

That 2500 gallons of water on the second floor is in case those 10,000 rounds on the first floor catch on fire. Genius, pure genius.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

It wasn't that bad here in NE Georgia. The local grocery stores (there are 2 in town) had some empty shelves. We are about 20 or so miles from the nearest town of under 9,000.
    We buy our beef and pork from a local farm. We supplement vegetables we grow with ones we buy at the local Farmer's Market. When COVID was running the nation; the county shut down the Farmer's Market. As it's a small town, we went to the farms during COVID. They were glad to see us and others and everyone was glad to see they had vegetables to sell.

We buy cases of canned vegetables at Sam's or Costco.

Attachment 12080
    I hope no one is offended. But, there is a lot of protein to harvest here, deer, fish, turtles, and snakes. Due to the steep terrain, not many people hunt here. Those that do wear snake books and gaiters.

Your attachment doesn't show up, but, it is extremely hard to offend anyone here....

Alan

Weird.. It could be I don't enough posts to upload a picture?

making venison.JPG

Anyhow, it's two deer in the "backyard" making venison.

Hey, it worked that time..

Thanks, Admin or a mod!!

We live in a national forest on privately owned land or it was owned before the NF was created.

Just make sure you really cook those turtles and snakes completely through, as they can have worms in them.