Thread: Bushcraft interest

Default Bushcraft interest

Recently got interested in fixed blade knives; now I'm getting interested in bushcraft. My forum name is Cephas. He was one of the disciples of Jesus, who probably used fixed blade knives also. Cephas was also called Peter. One time in a garden Jesus told Peter to put away his sword. Jesus told all His disciples to buy a sword, He probably thought they would need one. Sometimes I think I need one.

After being here on this site for several months, I have seen a pattern, umm Ban incoming.... and yea Dip !@#$ he didn't have a folder back then...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I hate to bring it up, but one of the most common archeological finds in the Roman military camps are folding knives.

They had friction folders, slip joints and lock blades. There is even one example that can only be described as resembling a Swiss Army Knife.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyratshooter, I was puzzled where your response came from, until I re read what I wrote and now I can see how you came up with that assumption.

My intention was to point out that the son of God didn't carry any earthly possessions, so of course he didn't have a folder,(as by time he had disciples, he no longer had earthly possessions) and it read "He didn't have a folder back then" & not "They didn't" " but my incomplete sentence and thought does indeed lead to your assumption more so then my intended inference.

Regardless, of how bad my thread was written, & how many loop holes, this is a moot point, as after re-reading the initial post, the dip S!@# here is me, as I misread it. " He " referred to the disciple & not Jesus, totally negating my point.

With that said, that Roman knife you were talking about I think was known as a Jackknife. And yes, even in BC, humanity had the equivalent of a folding knife, BUT I believe your assumption they had locking folders, is incorrect. If memory serves, locking folders were not invented until over a 1000+ years later, in Spain.

I am aware you are a retired History teacher, and if you were a retired archeologist, I would not risk potentially putting my foot in my mouth (again), but unless you can link some sort of historical link to the existence of locking folders prior to 15th century, I am sticking with my memory. (my belated mother was a retired History teacher too, and she surely would not know this, then again, she would not have been able to properly identify current day Cutlery either)

Anyway, the main point of my thread, was Ban incoming, which to my surprise, has not happened... not that I care one way or another, as these spamming Trolls are occasionally entertaining.

I believe Vikings use clasp knives in the 1st century.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i think "Clasp knives" were 1st used a few hundred years BC, several centuries prior to the Viking era. key word is "think" not know...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael aka Mac View Post
    After being here on this site for several months, I have seen a pattern, umm Ban incoming.... and yea Dip !@#$ he didn't have a folder back then...
    No reason yet for that. Trust me, after doing this as long as Rick and I have......we have it handled as needed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel