Thread: Bushcraft interest

Default Bushcraft interest

Recently got interested in fixed blade knives; now I'm getting interested in bushcraft. My forum name is Cephas. He was one of the disciples of Jesus, who probably used fixed blade knives also. Cephas was also called Peter. One time in a garden Jesus told Peter to put away his sword. Jesus told all His disciples to buy a sword, He probably thought they would need one. Sometimes I think I need one.

After being here on this site for several months, I have seen a pattern, umm Ban incoming.... and yea Dip !@#$ he didn't have a folder back then...

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I hate to bring it up, but one of the most common archeological finds in the Roman military camps are folding knives.

They had friction folders, slip joints and lock blades. There is even one example that can only be described as resembling a Swiss Army Knife.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Kyratshooter, I was puzzled where your response came from, until I re read what I wrote and now I can see how you came up with that assumption.

My intention was to point out that the son of God didn't carry any earthly possessions, so of course he didn't have a folder,(as by time he had disciples, he no longer had earthly possessions) and it read "He didn't have a folder back then" & not "They didn't" " but my incomplete sentence and thought does indeed lead to your assumption more so then my intended inference.

Regardless, of how bad my thread was written, & how many loop holes, this is a moot point, as after re-reading the initial post, the dip S!@# here is me, as I misread it. " He " referred to the disciple & not Jesus, totally negating my point.

With that said, that Roman knife you were talking about I think was known as a Jackknife. And yes, even in BC, humanity had the equivalent of a folding knife, BUT I believe your assumption they had locking folders, is incorrect. If memory serves, locking folders were not invented until over a 1000+ years later, in Spain.

I am aware you are a retired History teacher, and if you were a retired archeologist, I would not risk potentially putting my foot in my mouth (again), but unless you can link some sort of historical link to the existence of locking folders prior to 15th century, I am sticking with my memory. (my belated mother was a retired History teacher too, and she surely would not know this, then again, she would not have been able to properly identify current day Cutlery either)

Anyway, the main point of my thread, was Ban incoming, which to my surprise, has not happened... not that I care one way or another, as these spamming Trolls are occasionally entertaining.

I believe Vikings use clasp knives in the 1st century.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

i think "Clasp knives" were 1st used a few hundred years BC, several centuries prior to the Viking era. key word is "think" not know...

Quote Originally Posted by Michael aka Mac View Post
    After being here on this site for several months, I have seen a pattern, umm Ban incoming.... and yea Dip !@#$ he didn't have a folder back then...
    No reason yet for that. Trust me, after doing this as long as Rick and I have......we have it handled as needed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Cephas View Post
    Recently got interested in fixed blade knives; now I'm getting interested in bushcraft. My forum name is Cephas. He was one of the disciples of Jesus, who probably used fixed blade knives also. Cephas was also called Peter. One time in a garden Jesus told Peter to put away his sword. Jesus told all His disciples to buy a sword, He probably thought they would need one. Sometimes I think I need one.
    I didnt know that Peter was called Cephas. So much stuff is lost in the translation. I really need to study latin some more.
    I have some fixed blades and even a gladius sword, but these days and age you will also need folding knives. And guns.
    Rigth now I have an standart rifle in .22LR caliber, a heavy 200 lbs recurve crossbow, some airguns in .22 caliber both spring and pcp (i call them my "coyote guns" because this is the bigest animal that i managed to kill with an airgun), and loads of ammo, pellets, bolts, broadheads, spare parts, molds, tools.. My garage is my own little workshop, lol.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Cephas is actually Aramaic while Peter is Greek. Both names mean "stone".
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Cephas is actually Aramaic while Peter is Greek. Both names mean "stone".
    I don't know Rick, it looks fake.
    Ok, I'm going to sleep now.

Before we signed up for satellite TV and satellite internet, we subscribed to a lot of magazines. As I've always had an interest in Archaeology, Biblical Archaeology and History.

From what I remember the earliest pocket knife found so far dated to 500-600 BC in Hallstatt, Austria. Folding knives have been found in various burial sites on the Iberian Peninsula of Spain that predated the Roman Empire. Later, the Romans recruited the Iberians as they were ferocious fighters.

As archaeologists continue to find new (to us) ancient sites to excavate, there is no telling who invented the first pocket knife. As a pocket knife is such a useful weapon or tool, they are found as early as the Bronze Age.

What came first, the pocket or the pocket knife?

Alan

I sure hope the pocket. If not, the pocket must have come shortly after. You should would get tired of losing all those knives.

"Dang it, I lost my pocket knife again."
    "What kind of knife?"
    "Pocket knife. Pockets haven't been invented yet."
    "Oh, okay."
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    What came first, the pocket or the pocket knife?

Alan
    The folding knife came first.

Most of the people we are talking about were not even wearing trousers, much less trousers with pockets!

Pockets were a post medieval addition to clothing. They were added about 1830 as a regular thing. Originally pockets were portable and were attached to a waist belt and worn under the clothing as an evolution to the string closure purse. You could move your pockets from one outfit to another. Women's skirts had slits on the sides to access their pockets tied under their skirts.

You guys that were sailors might have joined early enough to have had whites with no pockets. You hung your wallet over your belt.

Even in our colonial history there were observations that the French liked to carry their folding knives on strings hanging from their belts or around their necks. The French and Spanish folders had a ring on the back spring to assist in unlocking the blade. The string was often tied to that ring.

(random mutterings from a bored retired guy)
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Slits to access their pockets.... Hmmmmmm..... I'm listening...

Alan

I don't carry a knife with me everyday, but I do have a blade at my multi-tool. I wonder how the ancient lads get by only with a folding knife. Sometimes I dont need a knife at all, but instead I need a scissor, or a screwdriver, and my multi-tool gives me all that.