Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where'd That Come From?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Where'd That Come From?

Anyone else ever go through the stack in the corner and find one you can't remember and wonder, "When the He!! did I get that?"
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

All the time. And just as often, "Where the heck did I put that?" The latter is almost always something I have placed in some location with utmost care so I will remember where it is because I will, no doubt, need it at some future date only to find that I have forgotten where that place is. The only good thing is that I then have to look through all the other places I placed important things which generally arrives at me asking "When the He!! did I get that?"

That's the way I get new stuff. I "organize" my shop/tool room/gun room/etc... Then I can't find anything for six months. After that time I start finding unrelated stuff that I've "Organized" and it's like getting something new!

Alan

I remember looking all over the shop for a milling cutter once. Looked for two days, tore the place apart. I finally gave up and went to town and bought a new one.

I used it and finished the task and put it back in the plastic case and thought, where can I put this so I will remember where it is. I finally had a flash of inspiration and pulled down a cigar box to put the cutter away and guess what was in the box?

Yep, the duplicate of the cutter.

What I found today was one of the roughest looking black powder guns I can't remember making. Cheap Spanish lock, cheap Spanish barrel, stock apparently flame finished with a propane torch and trigger guard made from the handle of a silver spoon.

I might just have to test fire that beast tomorrow.

You know you have probably accumulated too much important "stuff" when your most fervent prayer for assistance in finding something is answered with a chuckle and a response of, "In all that? Seriously?"

Yep, happens all of the time. Like Rick, moreso in the where did I put that than where did I get that.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Sure! I can't wait until tomorrow; I meet new and interesting people every day.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880

Every time I do a full clean up (so, not very often), I find new things that I had no idea I owned.

Tool & Die Maker

It's like Christmas everyday at my place, finding stuff i forgot I had

Every day is getting more and more like that. Sometimes, it's what the heck is this? Then a few days later it's...oh, yeah, I know what that is now, where did I put it?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

If you want to have a "Kid in a Candy Shop" experience, just try moving! It took me months of unpacking nostalgia after we moved.

I had boxes with bags of once fired brass, and gun parts from when I was 14... There was so much good stuff in the attic that I had to buy a 40' shipping container because much of MY good stuff was condemned and forbidden from entering the new premises...

I kinda looked at it like having a brand new attic!

Alan

Why is our stuff "junk" and 40 pairs of shoes normal? A change of seasons require an all new wardrobe and all I need is a the same jacket I've had for the last decade? Okay, two decades. whatever.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I think it's "Junk Envy" myself.....

Alan

Well, our junk is junk and theirs is junque (pronounced "zhunk")
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I think it's "Junk Envy" myself.....

Alan
    When my wife passed away the female part of the clan converged and sorted out the "craft room". They removed and divided up a pickup load of knitting yarn.

The woman had paint and art supplies in a cabinet that reminded me of the top model Snap On tool boxes.

She had a sewing machine that riveled any piece of reloading gear I have ever owned. That device would make button holes with the press of a button. And when I googled the name etched into the fabric shears she used I discovered they cost as much as a M29 S&W .44 mag!

The old girl believed in using good quality gear and had her share of it. I filled up the garage with stuff, she pretty much stockpiled the other 8 rooms.

Honestly, because I was more or less joking about it junk/junque, I realize that the other guy's junk is junk, simply because it's not my junk.

My room is packed with labware, especially labware I can pack out on the trail, because half of my online presence is encouraging people to leave their houses to "explore their world." Most people would walk in, look around, and say "what is all this junk?" Actually it looks like junk because I try to keep it light and affordable.

We're all programmed with on-board software called cognitive biases. They can be useful when we have to make snap decisions, but they usually interfere with developing effective solutions.

One is called attributional bias. It tells us that, when we have it good, we got it through hard work and wisdom, but when we have it bad, we didn't get the breaks and others stood in our way. When "they" have it good, they "had all the breaks" and a lot of help and when they have it bad, they were lazy and dumb.

Same goes for valuing our/their stuff. Ours is junque and theirs is junk.
    Last edited by WolfVanZandt; 06-11-2022 at 01:06 PM.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Last year My Ex finally called it quits, and that was that. I had boxed up more then 1/2 my stuff and put it in the attic prior so she would have room here at my Condo, and this past year I have been taking all those boxes of my stuff out of the attic each month that have been up there for over 16 years.

So, I have had 12 months now of saying to myself

" Where the Heck did I buy this, and when"
    " OMG what was I thinking when I bought this"
    "Wow I have one of these, Cool."
    " Ah crap I left the batteries in this & now its fried"
    "Hmm, but where is the power supply to it?"
    " Oops, I never returned this to my friend"
    "Hey a box of VHS tapes, boom chakka bom bom"
    "Holy S#%& I found my Star Wars movie on Vinyl" (still runs despite being in attic)

and my favorite, which happened this past week

"Ahh that's where I hid the box Of Thin mint Girl Scout cookies" (now in the garbage)

I call it "The 12 months of Christmas"

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    Honestly, because I was more or less joking about it junk/junque, I realize that the other guy's junk is junk, simply because it's not my junk.

My room is packed with labware, especially labware I can pack out on the trail, because half of my online presence is encouraging people to leave their houses to "explore their world." Most people would walk in, look around, and say "what is all this junk?" Actually it looks like junk because I try to keep it light and affordable.

We're all programmed with on-board software called cognitive biases. They can be useful when we have to make snap decisions, but they usually interfere with developing effective solutions.

One is called attributional bias. It tells us that, when we have it good, we got it through hard work and wisdom, but when we have it bad, we didn't get the breaks and others stood in our way. When "they" have it good, they "had all the breaks" and a lot of help and when they have it bad, they were lazy and dumb.

Same goes for valuing our/their stuff. Ours is junque and theirs is junk.
    This is very true. It's important to keep in mind that you never know what other people are gonna value. Everybody has their own values that are all equally important and arbitrary.

I am about as arbitrary as they come. Probably unnecessary too.

I never had much of a problem with this until I got married. My wife is constantly "putting things away" and then has no IDEA where she put them. I can put all I own in my minivan. she'd need a pair of 18 wheelers. I've told her a dozen times to put my stuff on my work bench and the last time, I left and stayed gone for 2 days. I think she finally got the message. Hasn't been a problem for several months now and it used to occur almost weekly.