Thread: ghost guns outlawed in Illinois

Tool & Die Maker

Default ghost guns outlawed in Illinois

Does anyone know what we are up against with ghost guns. I read where serial numbers can be stamped onto the ghost gun receiver to be legal but then I hear
    they are not doing that either.

Any thoughts on this

Thanks
    Jim
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-27-2022 at 07:46 AM.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

If I were in such a situation, and I am not, I would finish building my new lower, and if I had parts left over I would secure however many parts I had left in a safe storage locker, or safe deposit box, in a state where such things are not illegal, like Florida.

Then I would never again speak of such a thing on an open internet forum.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Canoe accidents happen. They are terrible things but they do happen. When transporting "things" they sometimes get lost when a canoe overturns. Such happened to me in 1919...of was it 2019? Matters not. All my guns and gun parts were gone in one fell swoop.

Tool & Die Maker

Thank you for the replies. So, whats next? Hi capacity magazines?

How does the ban work? If I print a lower for of my Glocks it's a ghost gun? But, if I print a a grip module for one of my SIGs I am alright? Same part, different semantics. Can I print or buy a non serialized Glock 19 grip module as a practice module to learn stimpling?

Vague laws and constantly changing definitions. Hobbyist making plastic grip modules and the AFT (sic) making criminals.

Tool & Die Maker

We have lots of unanswered questions. In Illinois the receiver or frame needs to have (must have) a serial number. Other gun parts you can still make yourself for your own use.
    I was told in Illinois I cannot replace a screw in someone else's gun without an FFL license.

A gun shop owner told me a story about a guy that was building AR-15 ghost guns for his co-workers. He built 15 of them before information got out he was building guns. The ATF came down on him and charged him with 15 felonies and tax evasion for not charging sales tax for each gun. I think he was also charged for transporting the guns.

I had two buddies asked me to build them guns last year. I declined both times telling them I couldn't get parts. The gun shop owner told me I could tell someone how to build their own gun but I think I'll even avoid doing that. If that gun was ever used in crime I wouldn't want my name to come up.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 04-29-2022 at 05:37 AM.