Thread: I saw someone mention that they make their own knives

Default I saw someone mention that they make their own knives

Hope I am posting in the right area for this... I saw the other day someone mention that they made their own knives but for the life of me i cannot remember who it was or if there were others that also made knives that may have posted some of their creations.

Just looking for someone to point me in the right direction...

Thx in advance.

words to live by, words to remember

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    If it is broke, it wasn't me.

There are a few forum members that make knives. I am one of them. What questions do you have?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I can provide some reviews if needed......

Alan

Well I guess you can call me a voyeur, just wanted to see some photos, show me those hot tangs.

Ah crap there are questions...
    Do you use a forge for any of these knives? Are you folding the metal for increased strength? Have you ever made a knife from a mold?

Years back when I had access to a forge, I made a wooden knife using a jigsaw and used that to make a mold, and then poured the molted metal into the mold and let it cool down and then started my grinding and sanding and polishing. The jigsaw allowed me to make intricate designs in the blade and handle.

A simpler knife style I had made was using metal and a wood files, tool steel, to make knives. Even used a wrench once and turned it into knife. I actually liked having the large hole in the handle that I grinded down (the inside).

I just am always curious of what other knife makers have made and how they have made them, and what their finished product looks like.

Sadly after moving over 35+ times, I no longer have any of the knives that I have made, and also had a few swords and my grandfathers Gurkha Kukri Knife stolen during some of these moves too. I probably have had more knives lost, stolen, or broken then I probably currently own now.

The search tool is your friend. There are loads of threads on knife making by members. Loads.

Well Crash, have you ever molted and folded any metal and poured into a mold to make a knife?

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Well Crash, have you ever molted and folded any metal and poured into a mold to make a knife?

Alan
    Nope...........
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Michael aka Mac View Post
    Well I guess you can call me a voyeur, just wanted to see some photos, show me those hot tangs.

Ah crap there are questions...
    Do you use a forge for any of these knives? Are you folding the metal for increased strength? Have you ever made a knife from a mold?

Years back when I had access to a forge, I made a wooden knife using a jigsaw and used that to make a mold, and then poured the molted metal into the mold and let it cool down and then started my grinding and sanding and polishing. The jigsaw allowed me to make intricate designs in the blade and handle.

A simpler knife style I had made was using metal and a wood files, tool steel, to make knives. Even used a wrench once and turned it into knife. I actually liked having the large hole in the handle that I grinded down (the inside).

I just am always curious of what other knife makers have made and how they have made them, and what their finished product looks like.

Sadly after moving over 35+ times, I no longer have any of the knives that I have made, and also had a few swords and my grandfathers Gurkha Kukri Knife stolen during some of these moves too. I probably have had more knives lost, stolen, or broken then I probably currently own now.
    I have done some crude, primative forging, but my knives are mostly stock removal. I use stock that I purchase or re-use steels (files, rasps, sawmill blades, etc.)

I have not poured molten steel to form a knife, as I do not believe it will perform well enough for my standards.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Crash has very high standards. About this high...

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

Crash, do you have any photos of the repurposed steel knives, files, rasps, etc.? Never tried making one from a saw blade curious how that came out too.

& with regard to making a knife from a mold, or casting as it is commonly called, you can get a knife up to 55 HRC casting with tool steel, where as aluminum bronze is at 35 HRC .

Crashdive123 is a pretty outstanding knife maker. He is a longtime member of our bushcraft group in FL. Many of us have his knives and they are very popular. In fact, I don't know of any that only has one. First class knife maker and leather worker. Take what he says from a master.

Quote Originally Posted by madmax View Post
    Crashdive123 is a pretty outstanding knife maker. He is a longtime member of our bushcraft group in FL. Many of us have his knives and they are very popular. In fact, I don't know of any that only has one. First class knife maker and leather worker. Take what he says from a master.
    madmax since this is the 1st time we are communicating, let me begin by saying, I love the madmax movie, same with the 3rd movie, Fury Road the remake also 2 thumbs up.

But I think you have missed the point of my thread, all I am looking for is photos of knives, that and only that ,

I am out of new magazines of knives got nothing to view so I thought Hey people here make knives, so I asked if anyone can post them

Quote Originally Posted by Michael aka Mac View Post
    Crash, do you have any photos of the repurposed steel knives, files, rasps, etc.? Never tried making one from a saw blade curious how that came out too.

& with regard to making a knife from a mold, or casting as it is commonly called, you can get a knife up to 55 HRC casting with tool steel, where as aluminum bronze is at 35 HRC .
    Here are a few.

Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Damn Crash you got talent. Great workmanship and very nice quality blades you made there.

Do you have a favorite?

also nice to see parka wood for handles. Only time i see parka wood is from knives made from India or Pakistan, shame its a colorful wood and more knife makers should try using it.

Ya know Mike... I'm really not sure how exactly you missed it, and at the risk of opening a whole nuther can of worms....

If you scroll down a bit more in this section there is a sub forum dedicated to general cutlery and accoutrements. There's enough pictures to keep you occupied most of the night...

Alan

Thx Allan,
    and no worries about opening up a can of worms... One can only see photos if they are logged in and I cannot view this website if I am logged in for more then 2 minutes. any longer then that and I am locked out of website and recieve a DoS attack (denial of service) it spoofs the ip address so that the website is not found and it will remain that way for hours if not the whole day.

seems a few members have had this problem but I have yet found out how they resolved it. Tried something that Rick suggested but that French hacker seems to have gotten the best of me.