Thread: Not A Machete Guy

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Not A Machete Guy

I have never considered myself a "big knife guy" or a machete guy. Not my type of forest or gear.

Even watching the excellent videos now on You tube of people working in SE Asia and the Amazon basin has not budged me much, they are not in the eastern hardwood forests.

But I do love a good knife even if it is as long as your leg, so I decided to do some upgrades on one of my machetes the other day. First I had to find it!

I found one in the tool shed, not the right one, keep looking. Found another one in the other tool shed. Then another in the bike shed, and two more in the workshop. There was one in the tool bucket in the utility room and another under the sofa. I finally found the one I was after under the seat of the truck.

If I am not a machete guy why do I own 7 of the blasted things?

They are not the cheap Walmart or Harbor Freight junk either, they are all the Brazilian and Central American made blades. Good steel that rings when you tap it.

I have now decided to make a set of wind chimes and hang them all on the back porch.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

They should sound real nice. And, anyone thinking about sneaking in your back door might just think twice seeing a machete wind chime. They might give pause to wonder what might be waiting for them inside.

Oh my. This sounds like the start of a good horror movie script. Call Rob Zombie!!!

I might hang one of those on my FRONT porch! Not that I'm anti-social or anything like that!

I've often thought about making a doorbell that shakes the door and sounds like a large snarling, barking dog....

Alan

Tiger, Alan. Large snarling tiger. Anyone can have a barking dark. They hear a tiger they are sure to back slowly off your porch before breaking into a dead run.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Or a loud rattlesnake! Several in succession first one then a dozen, and very loud.

I'm still looking for my cane knife, anyone seen it? Wide blade, got a hook on the back, Makes a ringing sound when you cut with it....
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I actually thought I would love the machete, considering I was into Kendo ,& a Fencer in HS & in college, but when I finally got one, it was more a pain in the @## due to its large form factor. Pain to pack, gets caught on everything when not in hand, and honestly, I cannot remember the last time i was so knee deep in the thick of it to need one. I mostly just use it at home for spring clean up around my place.

On the other hand, of love the Indian Gurkha Kukri knife. Smaller form factor, (mine in particular a lot smaller then my machete blade length,& other kukri's that I have seen, and the curve makes it seem even less so) and it has a good weight to it too. I don't need as much of an arc or room to swing as I need when I use my machete either. I never did bother finding out what those 2 smaller knives in the hilt were for.

The two small knives have two distinct purposes (for the traditionally make Kukri). One is for whatever you would use a small knife for and the other (is much duller) is traditionally used to start fires.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Ah thx Crashdive, lol been curious about that for decades, just not curious enough i guess to get off my !@# to find out. I thought it was like some ninja type thing lol like you see attached to Ninja Swords... glad to finally know what they truly were designed for

thx again Crash

How did the knife forum survive without me?

The Kukri/khukuri/khukri is Nepalese. The little "knives" are the Karda and Chakmak. The karda is a small knife. The chakmak is a sharpener much like a really small honing steel used in kitchens.

Until next time.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.