Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scrounging ammo

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Scrounging ammo

I just ordered some 22WRM ammo at $25 for 100 rounds and felt like I was getting away with robbery.

Such are our times.

They will most likely see they have marked the cost wrong and cancel my order.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

In the Pre-Obama days nearly all ammo except Weatherby and Norma was cheaper than that....

Alan

Of course, that was well over a decade ago too. Not much hasn't risen in that time. A few things maybe but just shut up and put on the coffee.

That's the dang trouble with all this newfangledry. It costs more to than it did back when!

Alan

I'm nowhere near as old as most here. But I remember buying 22lr for $12 a 500rd brick. I loved it. Plinking all weekend for less than a tank of gas. Of course a tank of gas was about $20 then, not $70🙄
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

We voted in $70 a tank. Did I say that out loud?

Yes you did, and some of us warned of it early in the game.

$70 a tank gas, lock down on ammo, and a serious gun grab.

Hey Nate, I paid $0.25 for my first box of .22lr way back in the day. A brick was $2.25 but I could not afford that.

But I was throwing newspapers for $12 a week and thought having two boxes was an extravagance.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-18-2021 at 01:32 PM.

The light came on int the Tundra the other day and by the time I was through topping it off the pump was over $90.... I didn't look at it any more after that....

I too paid a quarter a box when I was forced to start buying my own ammo. Of course I was rolling in dough. I got $2 for mowing, edging and trimming a yard. Fortunately my dad let me use the mower and tools plus I didn't have to pay for the gas either. I guess he figured he was encouraging work ethic...

Alan

An interesting point was how much longer the boxes of ammo that I bought lasted than the ones that had been given to me....

Alan

It's interesting, too, how long the last .22, 12 gauge, etc. you had stayed in your jacket pocket. When it was gone, that was it.

My truck holds 36 gallons. I try to not let it get too low before I fill it............crying in front of that many people is embarrassing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

We all still had a "make do" attitude inherited from our Depression Era parents. Anything above survival was a luxury.

A box of shells should feed you for a long time, no wasting them on tin cans, and that one last shell was enough to go hunting with. If you wanted to shoot tin cans or targets there was a BB gun on the back porch.

When I was in college I once went deer hunting for a weekend with an old Mauser and three rounds. Why would I need more? Back then the limit was one buck a year, no does. If you killed one a singe round should do it and you still had two as backup.

I want to ask a question. I am now driving a Jeep Liberty. It has a Dodge engine in it.

Is Dodge the only brand that makes a 4L V6 that has the power of 4 cylinder and the gas mileage of a 454ci 1971 Buick Estate Wagon?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 12-18-2021 at 06:52 PM.

The good folks building that Jeep also build the Fiat and Alfa Romeo brands. I wonder if they have the same problem zipping through those Italian Alps. "Mora petro Alfonso, give it more petro!"

Kyrat, I've had a few friends own the liberties. They all said the same thing. Gas mileage sucks for being such a tiny SUV and they said they broke down more then they could have ever imagined being a jeep. They all parted ways with them in the 100 to 120k mile range. 2 bought an f150, another bought a ram 1500. They figured an improved 5mpg and the ability to haul something was a much better upgrade.

I am starting to understand the depression era mentality on stretching things. Being a single father of 2 and not making a ton of money, frugality is a necessity. Shopping the clearance section in any store is my 1st go to. I've learned to plan my meals more on what cans were dented and what boxes were crushed instead of what sounds good. I save the good stuff and great cooking for when the kids are with me.

I've cut back on shooting for the last few years, although I might pick up heavier on .22lr and muzzleloader next spring. I do find myself plinking with a BB gun for some amusement. My son loves the BB gun too. I just can't ever not shoot. Been with me since I was about 8 yrs old.

I had a Jeep Cherokee once. It would go anywhere and turn on a dime.... as long as it was running... I had the engine rebuilt at around 80K and sold it before 100K. Working on it was impossible for me. When I sold it I left the Chilton book in the back seat. During my ownership period I coined the phrase, "Piece of Jeep". For a while I thought about getting a Rubicon but I came to my senses...

Natertot, there's absolutely nothing wrong with frugality regardless of ones financial situation... It is a virtue...

Alan

I have started going to estate sales and yard sales and buying whatever ammo, regardless of caliber or gauge. I figure I can barter it or salvage the bullets and powder. It really irritates me that even though I have lots of supplies and ammo both, the idea that I can not easily replace them makes me very hesitant to do any casual/pleasure shooting.

Never barter with anything that can be shot back at you. Just sayin.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    So remove powder from bullets first? Got it!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Wisdom! I will remember that.