Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to operate a "HANDY'MAN Jack" aka "HI-LIFT JACK"

Here is the instruction manual, check out page 11 for winching:
    http://www.hi-lift.com/media/pdfs/jack_instructions.pdf
    Geezer Squad....Charter Member #1
    Evoking the 50 year old rule...
    First 50 years...worried about the small stuff...second 50 years....Not so much
    Member Wahoo Killer knives club....#27

Yeah, my grandfather did that with a car once and it fell on him. Pinned him underneath for several hours before someone found him. God he was a tough old bird. I would have cried myself to death but he lived a lot of years after that.

Glad it worked out for you, Sourdough. I can't imagine what it would be like to be pinned and see a bear lumber into the yard. Just when you think it couldn't get any worse........
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by hunter63 View Post
    Here is the instruction manual, check out page 11 for winching:
    http://www.hi-lift.com/media/pdfs/jack_instructions.pdf
    Cool ,, Thanks

I started reading the thread and thought - what the??????? Could have sworn you did that last summer. Nice to see that I still remember some things.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Good reminder. When I was a teenager , many moons ago on the farm, had a cousin pin his hand while jacking a hay wagon. We had one heck of a time getting him unpinned. He was understandably upset and the next available jack was almost half a mile away. I guess he was one of the lucky ones, he kept his hand and fingers, just has limited mobility.
    .45 ACP Because shooting twice is silly... The avatar says it all,.45 because there isn't a.46

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Case View Post
    Love those Jacks, Priceless when you get stuck in the sand, Just Jack one end up all the way , The "Push" the vehicle and it fall on flat again, If you buried both ends, do it to the other as well , One man 20 min tops
    We use this technique to get out of mud as well. I wouldnt drive into the woods without my hi-lift, and a good chainsaw.

AKA the "jack-all" when I worked on drills in the bush we used those suckers for everything. I know a few fellas with fairly misshapen knuckles courtesy of those things (fortunately I'm not one of them although I found plenty of other ways to mash my knuckles over the years). That lever can come back on a body in real hurry sometimes.

One job I worked we followed another company's road that they'd cut in to the area we were drilling, apparently these guys went broke on that job. When I saw how they cut roads I could see why they went broke, they had more unnecessary switchbacks and huge u-turns than you could imagine. I don't know how many hours I spent using one of them jacks just lifting our bunkhouses and kitchens back onto their skids, righting the drill after it did about a 40 degree lean to one side, fun things like that. One guy on a jackall on one side, another guy on a come-along on the other side.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Keep some motor oil around. They need a splash on a regular basis.

Ok so I have a Harbor Freight version, and I have used it about 5 times to jack up my Ford Bronco.
    I don't understand what you mean about only using one hand, I would think 2 hands on the handle gives more control. Luckily I have not had any issues with mine.
    Surviving in Los Angeles-

Quote Originally Posted by jrock24 View Post
    Ok so I have a Harbor Freight version, and I have used it about 5 times to jack up my Ford Bronco.
    I don't understand what you mean about only using one hand, I would think 2 hands on the handle gives more control. Luckily I have not had any issues with mine.
    They are just telling you to keep your hand/self out of the way, it's bad habit reaching for something falling, slipping or steadying.

Banned
    Blog Entries

If you are jacking with your right hand, there is a "NATURAL" tendency to stabilize the jack or push against the top of the jack, It a natural place to rest your left hand is to grip the top of the jack. Just keep your left hand off the jack and you will be happy.

and always make sure you follow through on the down movement so that the jack locks into it's next 'notch' or the backswing could cost you a paw.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by trax View Post
    and always make sure you follow through on the down movement so that the jack locks into it's next 'notch' or the backswing could cost you a paw.
    Or a voice changing experience, I hear ya.

Next best thing to a good winch. I've got one mounted on the roof rack of my jeep on the drivers side. ( shovel and axe on the other side) I bet I,ve used mine a couple hundred times to unstick vehicles, change a tire, move something heavy over, and even used it to "pull" a couple of small tree stumps.
    If by what I have learned over the years, allow me to help one person to start to prepare. If all the mistakes I have made, let me give one person the wisdom that allows them to save their life or the life of a loved one in an emergency. Then I will truly know that all the work I have done will have been worth every minute.