Thread: Occupying the Winter

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default Occupying the Winter

We have finally had a change of weather up here and the word has been passed finally that winter is near.

Cold air means that I am more confined to the domestic domain and the search for something to do is upon me.

I was cleaning up the spillage from the "knife crate" the other day and found some rustic blades I had forged back in my reenactment hey-day. Pioneer knives!

I also found an old tanto blade I bought from Smokey Mountain Knife Works a decade ago, and when I began the search for handle material I found the old stash of maple I had rescued from a kindling pile, a box of deer antler, and half a machete.

It is half a Tranantino from Brazil so it has good steel. I had cut it down from the 24" length to 14".

After all that I decided to emulate our esteemed knife making leader and make some micarta all by myself! I have made myself up a little press device, cut up every pair of blue jeans I had been saving for making sandbags for the range, and bought some epoxy.

Now if you guys do not hear from me for a while send the SAR unit out because I have glued myself to the workbench out in the shop and I can't get it out the door and around the house so passers by can see me.

They would probably just point and laugh come to think about it.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

I hope you don't seclude yourself too much. Been there. Done that. You add a lot to the forum and the members. Ya old fart.

Tony

Good luck with the build. Let me know if I can help.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm going to have to abandon the house for a while! I mixed up the first batch of resin and the smell is overwhelming!

If I did not already have brain damage it is now well underway.

It's too cold out in the shop for this stuff to cure so I mixed it up in the kitchen. Bad decision for Thursday.

At least the fumes are so bad I can no longer remember what the bad decision for Wednesday was.

Any pics of the progress? Always been kinda curious about giving it a try. Maybe in spring for the sake of my brain cells.

I would like to find a muzzleloader build project though... who knows. Lol
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

My first effort was not a bragging accomplishment. I got the ratios of hardener wrong and it never really dried. As soon as I can pick things up without sticking to them I will try again.

I need to get this worked out, I have a bunch of scales to make and a rat tailed Damascus blade I made 30 years ago that has never been fitted to a handle.

I made the same mistake thinking a little extra hardener would speed things up, but, it seems following directions is the best with these things.

Alan

For me, it really depends on the temperature. In the summer time I use about half the hardner that is called for. Any more than that and I get about a three minute work time. In cooler temps I go with the recommended amounts. Of course, I'm doing everything outside in order to survive the day from she who must be obeyed.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

In the present discussion I think the proper term might be "she who has good sense!"

That stuff stunk up the house every time I touched the press.

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    For me, it really depends on the temperature. In the summer time I use about half the hardner that is called for. Any more than that and I get about a three minute work time. In cooler temps I go with the recommended amounts. Of course, I'm doing everything outside in order to survive the day from she who must be obeyed.
    What do you consider cooler temps on the subject of hardner? Living up north, I have a feeling it is a little different. Curious in case I give it a go.
    ”There's nothing glorious in dying. Anyone can do it.” ~Johnny Rotten

Anything below 75 for a longer working time with the resin. Going to make some paper Crashcarta today - temps will be in the low to mid 70's. Anything colder than about 55 and I warm the resin in my shop, measure and pour it in the shop, mix it and work with it outside. Longer work times when cooler, but too thick when too cool.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel