Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30

Thread: Mushroom class?

  1. #21
    Senior Member WolfVanZandt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,654

    Default

    Mac, I used to say that "mushrooms have little nutrition and are not worth the trouble" until I began getting comments correcting me. Some mushrooms, it turns out, are easy to identify and can be very nutritious. For instance, the beefsteak is loaded with protein.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.


  2. #22
    Super Moderator crashdive123's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Florida
    Posts
    44,556

    Default

    There are old mushroom foragers. There are bold mushroom foragers. There are scant few old, bold mushroom foragers.
    Can't Means Won't

    My Youtube Channel

  3. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Texas
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    I think mushrooms would have to be the only edible thing left on the planet for me to pick a wild one and eat it. I just stick with those white ones in the store. From what I have read "Death by mushroom" or "Toadstool" is not a pretty thing and it happens after you think you've gotten away with eating it... and then carries on for some time after that with all the accompanying convulsions, frothing at the mouth and delirium, and only after all the horrible things imaginable happen to you, you die...

    Alan

  4. #24
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    58,550

    Default

    That sounds suspiciously like what's happening in our government. Did I say that out loud?
    Tracks Across the High Plains...On Amazon Books.

  5. #25
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Texas
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    Yes, you did. It appears that a semester in re-education camp might be in order for you....

    Alan

  6. #26
    Senior Member Michael aka Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    I think mushrooms would have to be the only edible thing left on the planet for me to pick a wild one and eat it. I just stick with those white ones in the store. From what I have read "Death by mushroom" or "Toadstool" is not a pretty thing and it happens after you think you've gotten away with eating it... and then carries on for some time after that with all the accompanying convulsions, frothing at the mouth and delirium, and only after all the horrible things imaginable happen to you, you die...

    Alan
    Mac, I used to say that "mushrooms have little nutrition and are not worth the trouble" until I began getting comments correcting me. Some mushrooms, it turns out, are easy to identify and can be very nutritious. For instance, the beefsteak is loaded with protein. wolf said

    I do not disagree that there are a few mushrooms out there that are high in protein, some even more so then beef, such as the mushroom you listed, Beefsteak Mushrooms.

    BUT the chances of finding it in most people's neck of the woods is unlikely. There is a Food Manufacture by the name of Quorn that uses fungus protein in their plant based faux chickens. (faux meaning fake)

    The problem I have with picking your own mushrooms: ones at the store are grown in a medium and in conditions that only results in the mushroom being grown, so you are guaranteed to only get edible mushrooms.

    Wild mushrooms are created by spores, and these spores can adhere to clothing and travel overseas to USA introducing foreign spores to our ecosystem. Now add the fact that at times a poison species and edible one may only have 1 minor difference between them.

    Unlike having food poisoning, some mushrooms do not show you that you have been poisoned until the damage has set in. By the time you are throwing up and evacuating your bowels, you are already in a world of trouble (think liver transplant) and that is just from taking a bite.

    The more one eats of these deadly mushrooms, the more it is in your system, and unlike food poisoning, these toxins enter your liver killing cells, and even after the mushrooms have left your system, it re enters your liver again through other mechanics in play in essence poising you even further and killing even more liver cells.

    After this it is a domino affect, as other organs begin to suffer, your eyes turn yellow, and now its just a matter of days before death if no liver donor is found.

    It is just that you wont even know you picked the wrong mushroom in some cases, like the Death's Cap Mushroom, until you are already in a life threatening physical condition. The only course of action is something that has yet to be medically proven, introducing a substance that bonds to the poison so that it does not get absorbed into your liver, again from last i read, this was still in the trial phase.

  7. #27
    Senior Member Michael aka Mac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2022
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    169

    Default

    Oh and I would also like to add, I have grown my own mushrooms indoors, I would suggest growing your own vs. picking wild mushrooms. Oyster mushrooms for example take less then a week from start (seeding) to finish (full grown) to dinner plate.

    When asked, would you take a chance on eating a mushroom you identified, many said yes, but when offered a bowl of jellybeans and told that within these 100 jellybeans are 2 poisoned ones, not one said they would risk it. Point being, sometimes our mind needs to see reality as we think we are incapable of being wrong.

  8. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Victoria, Texas
    Posts
    1,763

    Default

    All of which is precisely why, "I think mushrooms would have to be the only edible thing left on the planet for me to pick a wild one and eat it. I just stick with those white ones in the store."

    I don't want canned mushrooms, novelty mushrooms, or those big ones that supposedly, according to some, taste just like hamburger... No thanks... just the plain old white mushrooms, IF I just gotta have mushrooms... While I like them, they are not something that I feel the need to add to my diet on a regular basis... certainly not in a survival situation. Too many grubs and worms out there to resort to eating fungi...


    Alan

  9. #29
    Senior Member WolfVanZandt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Denver, Colorado
    Posts
    1,654

    Default

    I used to rehydrate dehydrated shiitake mushrooms in stuff like bouillon, broth, seasoned soy sauce and such and make cream of mushroom soup.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

  10. #30
    Administrator Rick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Central Indiana
    Posts
    58,550

    Default

    so you used hydrated, dehydrated, rehydrated mushrooms to make something God put in a can?

    Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...On Amazon Books.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •