Thread: Picked up a hunting implement

Smile Picked up a hunting implement

Benjamin 392S air rifle in 22cal. The one in the middle🙂

Don't discredit a good quality air rifle for survival. IMG_20211009_114242949.jpg

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

I once had a Benjamin .22 that was this rifle's predecessor.

I got it back in 1964 for Christmas. It was an expensive present at $20.

What's the price today?

$210 !!
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

And how old are you today? I'll bet you spend more at the pharmacy than that Benjamin is worth. We take two grocery carts in the store now. A large one and a small one. The large one is for the pharmacy. The small one is for food. Times change. (sigh). Your signature tells the story. That really happened to me once upon a time.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    I once had a Benjamin .22 that was this rifle's predecessor.

I got it back in 1964 for Christmas. It was an expensive present at $20.

What's the price today?

$210 !!
    I got mine in 1965 too! Still have it and it accounts for a couple of tree rats a week. 7 pumps is pretty lethal.

Alan

Well gentlemen, it's a rough job but someone has to do it!

Inspired by this thread, and having a new Pyramid Air catalogue beside the recliner, I checked the "mad money" account and wound up with the brown truck at the door by mid week.

Finding that I was short a scope, I also ordered a 3-9x illuminated cheapo from Amazon, which arrived this very morning.

Scope is now on rifle and the shooting has commenced!

I do now, as Rick noted, have a few years under my belt, as well as some excess tonnage. That means I have a nice formal range down by the fence row, a measured 25m from the comfortable roofed and screened back porch. I also now own a chronograph, spotting scope, a shooting bench, and several other items of measurement and comfort that 14 year old me never dreamed of having. No walking back and forth to check targets for this old man!

The wind is very brisk this morning so trying to zero the scope between gusts has been irritating. That is especially true since I am shooting the rifle with only 3 pumps for sake of my torn rotator cuff and general laziness.

Three pumps is giving me a bit over 300fps according to my chrony. 300fps @25m is subject to plenty of wind deflection. 10 pumps gives a solid 650fps, and this model now recommends 10 pumps for full power.. the old model stopped at 8 pumps.

I was shooting two different pellets, H&N Excite Spike @ 15.7 grains and Crossman hollow points @ 14.5 grains. Neither of them are exceptionally accurate in my other rifles so I don't know why I expect them to be better in this rifle?

I am getting what looks like a huge group through the 40x spotting scope, but it is really only about 1 inch. I think it looks huge due to my normal "off the back porch rifle" being an HW30 that shoots 3/8"-1/2" tiny little groups at the same range. That rifle also has the best target grade trigger of any firearm I own.

I had to scale back and tell myself that on a windy day, using a cheap scope, with a new rifle that has a trigger pull equal to the weight of the gun, it's really not too bad!

I have a good selection of premium pellets but I wanted to get the scope roughly zeroed with this cheap stuff before throwing expensive pellets down range. I was also hoping that the rifle would like some form of cheap fodder for general plinking. I got lucky with the HW30 and found that it likes RWS Hobby pellets that only set me back $5/500 pellet tin.

If the weather holds I will test some other weights and brands of pellets this week. I have found that pellet rifles are as sensitive to ammo as a quality rimfire rifle. If you feed them what they like they will make tiny little groups. If you throw any old junk into them they will shoot all over the map.

This thing sure makes a lot of noise! Not while shooting, that is just a gentle "puff". The noise comes from the clacking and clattering of pumping the rifle. It sounds like a one ton Chevy pickup with a rod knocking! I am going to find some form of adhesive cushion to soften the clatter when the pump handle hits the rifle.

Allan, has it ever crossed your mind that the two of us might be twins separated at birth?
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 10-16-2021 at 03:33 PM.

There's paint over spray just inside the muzzle. That will have to be carefully removed first.

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Allan, has it ever crossed your mind that the two of us might be twins separated at birth?
    I was wondering why the law never caught up to me. They don't know where to start looking, Texas or Kentucky (I never claimed to be the smart one)!

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 10-18-2021 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Not TN....

Now that right there could be a country western song.

Two genres in one! Country AND Western!

Alan

No. You see...Yep. Works for me.

Its my hobby

And mine has to do with folks from India.

IMG_20211023_165954866.jpg

Picked up some pellets, and cleaned the over spray out of the muzzle.

I am going to have to take mine apart and do something about the trigger. The rifle is nearly unusable in its present condition. The rifle will hang on my finger without discharging, and it has a scope!

That is somewhere around a 6# pull.

The trigger is a simple lever that hooks into the cylinder shaped hammer. There is not much I can do about the hammer spring pressure since the balance inside the mechanism requires the hammer to strike with a specific weight to move the poppet valve not only for a certain distance but also for a specific time, to completely discharge the pressure.

The freekin' trigger has two springs working on it. One is a torsion spring the size of a piece of railroad track and the other is a coil from the front of a Ford Pickup! I am about to go to work with a set of fence pliers on both of them.