Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best survival gun and type?

Default Best survival gun and type?

I would have to say a M-16 style rifle for woods and a Ak-47 for urban survival. M-16 better range for hunting wildlife. Ak-47 better urban gun for penetration and knockdown. BTW love the site.

In an urban survival situation, you need to take ammunition into consideration.
    You might use it up defending yourself. Something for which ammo would be easier to find is better, like a hunting rifle or something at uses common ammo.

I'll always go with an AR-7 if I have a choice.
    "That's not drunk driving; I'll show ya drunk driving!"

Damn, you guys are packing AK's and M-16's in the woods? I can see military-issued weapons in urban terrain, but in the woods? Oh well. Dude I would have a Barret 50. cal. or like Flavor Bear said, a hunting rifle. Ak-47 do have knock-down power but I avoid them, there cheap Soviet-made weapons that make you look like a terriosts lol. M-16 sometimes break down quickly, or i think that was just in Vietnam.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Ya bro Ak-47 for hog hunting and a Bushmaster for deer and other wild game. If you had to just have one gun on you assault rifles are the best in my opinion. Ya the AK gives a negative feel but in a urban survival enviroment someone sees that gun and stays away. On the flip side a M-16 gives a good guy feel to it when PPl see it. Depends if your social or not lol.

I would think it would be better to not let anyone know you have a gun at all.
    "That's not drunk driving; I'll show ya drunk driving!"

Welcome to the forum Bdog. How 'bout heading over to the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. You can find it here http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...splay.php?f=14
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Thanks Crash I might just do that.

Yeah Ak-47's are the best in Urban enviroment when it comes to scaring the enemy. I hate when people cover there gun stock with bright colors or gold. It provides no tactical advantage what so ever. Yeah maybe in a gang fight.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Actually, we have a thread on survival guns.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...urvival+weapon

and several more as well.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

I reckon if I'm ever in an urban survival situation and feel I need an automatic weapon I'll just shoot someone who has one with my old bolt action hunting rifle.

I dislike this kind of chat. I find it especially boring when folks talk about weapons they have never trained with.
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

Guns are for when you screw up. Mac
    The Colhane Channel TV for guys like me.

Yeah I never shot guns before, but from what I have seen before is what I have based my opinion on. Im all primitive weapons.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

Blog Entries

The best survival gun is the that gets the job done for you, be it a .22 or friggn .50 cal
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

Now if I was home I would check the gun safe and try and decide which would be the most effective. One problem, while I was trying to decide I reckon it would be too late so I guess I would grab the first one I came across.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Default Knowing your gear

I have to preface with the fact that I have never needed or used a firearm in a "survival scenario" and feel quite lucky about that. I do have some familiarity with firearms, primarily in remote areas and hunting.

I see a weapon as any other piece of equipment chosen for use in a potential "worst case scenario". Criteria I look for in my gear include:

Familiarity-
    you have to be able to fix, maintain and trouble shoot problems with this piece of equipment, better than anyone. This potentially included fabrication of parts. You should also be well versed with its use, in multiple environements and settings. For example, I may have a really great, shiny item that will not work so well at night, in the rain, covered in mud and with hands numb from cold.

Use of consumables-
    be it projectiles, cloth, meat or what ever this item uses...you will need to get more of the consumables, eventually. I have a friend who drives a really nice, foreign car. It broke down in a rural area and he couldn't get a very basic part to get him back on the road. Finding that rare calibre round might get a little tough.

Durability-
    it has gotta take some use, in a rough environement.

Redundency-
    two is one, one is none.

Any other things people look for?

Blog Entries

Straight up... the Potatoe Cannon is surely the best all around weapon
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Well, nice post. I like your redundancy statement. I think I'll start using that one.

Price is a consideration. I don't think you have to pay huge sums to acquire something good nor do you want to purchase the cheapest just because of the price.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

awwww......shucks, thanks

In truth, that is not my statement. As with most everything I know, it is repeated from more proficient people than myself. That "two is one, one is none" came from some friends in the Navy. But it is a GREAT concept.

Overall, just one rifle?

.22LR

Most game is small not large
    Can carry alot of ammo
    Inexpensive ammo
    Easy to shoot even for small people
    Low report - stealthier
    most common caliber for resupply
    list goes on...
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

As do the threads.......