Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lampight

Default Lampight

When the batteries run out forever in a post-apoc world, what'll be the best lantern to use to give just enough light to read by and to get around the room without bumping into the furniture?
    Is a kerosene (aka paraffin) lamp our best bet? Are some models more efficient than others?
    How long will the flame last with one filling?
    And when kerosene/paraffin supplies run out what'll we do then?

Candles? Pitch? Animal fat. There are lots of options. Assuming of course, you survive this post-apoc world you envision. The word "victim" was coined for a reason.

I thought about becoming a pirate, post apocalypse of course, but I get really seasick. Of course I guess I could coordinate my Aaaarghs with the heaves and no one would know. Pirates are supposed to stink anyway.

“Heave Ho me hearties! Aaaarrgh….

Alan

An oil lamp. Most any kind of oil and most any kind of wick will do.

Alan

Being a Barbarian would solve the problem of seasickness and still retain the stink. I'd prefer being a Barbarian of 1. That whole wielding a sword thing is beyond me. Dragging a sword is a bit more my style these days. I guess I could carry a hammer but it would have to be a curved claw hammer. More utility you know.

I'll be a bay and river pirate. I don't get seasick there... Barbarians have to walk and trudge along. Pirates can sit down and do pirate stuff while the boat floats along...

Alan

Well...uh...Barbarians can ride horses and in wagons. They don't have to trudge. There is nothin' in the Barbarian Code of Ethics that requires a bonafide Barbarian to trudge, walk or skip for that matter. Although I haven't seen many Barbarians skip. You might get trounced if you skip. You could still get tossed to and fro in the bay and what are you gonna do after a big rain and the river rises? Huh? What then? Or the tide goes out in the bay leaving you high and dry.

Barbarian: You need a ride?
    Pirate: Shut up.
    Barbarian: Just askin'

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

But pirates get to talk like drunk Irishmen (a bit of bias here maybe...) but barbarians have to talk like Ahhhnauld Schwatzinaouger.

Alan

I've got to think about that. I'll be back.

John Wayne played Genghis Khan in a movie. He talked like...well, John Wayne. (It was bad.)

The big advantage of barbarians skipping is that, if they can get away with it they're understood to be Really Bad A@@ed. Otherwise they'd be labeled "Hanna Barbarians".
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

John Wayne notwithstanding, his gait lent itself nicely to his portrayal of Timur the Lame, I'm still going Pirate. Barbarians only get to ra.... uh, yeah that and pillage, but since Pirates are on a ship (or in my case a boat), they get to fish too!

Alan

You forgot plunder. We get to pillage and plunder. There is a lot to be said for plundering. Oh, yeah...looting. Love me some looting. Carry off a wee maiden and...well, I forget the rest. It's been a while since I've been on a good raid but plundering and looting. Good stuff.

I can see where plundering as a pirate might be a little tiresome... you gotta plunder the plunder, haul it to the boat, go find a desert island someplace, make a map on an old grocery sack, step off a bunch of steps (there's that walking thing again), count the steps, remember the steps, draw little x's on the map for the steps, dig a friggin hole, dump the plunder in it, cover it up and disguise it like it's not there... dig it back up to get the map that was in the plunder box, rebury it... get back on the dang boat, drink a bunch of rum, forget where you put the map.... yeah, plundering is going to be a problem, but not as much of a problem as carrying off a wee maiden.... especially if they know where they plunder is....

Alan

Yeah...See there. Barbarians just toss the plunder in the wagon and ride off with ye maiden back to the fortress to drink ale and have a feast. Sadly, the fortress is full of wenches. Bossy wenches. That's why we get together and plunder. Aaargh.

Bossy wenches are the worst. Take all the fun out of pillaging, plundering, and they take an awful dim view of bringing home maidens to ravage...

Alan

If this keeps up we'll be down to card games and smoking cigars.

Can't do that in the fortress either... or swill ale... oh and wipe your boots... it just goes on and on and on.....

Alan

Is there room on that boat?

Barbarians are welcome on the boat, ... as long as they bring extra ale to swill and perhaps a maiden or two. Sharing is caring...

Alan

I’m not really sure what we’ll do with the maidens… maybe they can paddle the boat…

Alan