Thread: Best method to store pre cooked and raw foods for longevity ?

Default Best method to store pre cooked and raw foods for longevity ?

Hi Everyone..........I'm just looking into food storage and how best to go about it, is one way better than the other or is it a combination situation where its best to dehydrate then vacuum pack ?
    If i can get safe food for a year then I'm good as we can always re stock after going off grid for a while, I'm in France and its getting close to where no jabs means no health passport which means no shopping, so we are preparing to take off in an RV and stay out of it as long as possible, I'm thinking that although we have a refrigerator it might not be for long as one gas runs out the solar will struggle to keep up, so want to look at food preservation without a refrigerator just incase !
    Its a total **** show but we need to try do something and prep for the worse case between now and January.
    Any advice will be taken that's relevant....we are just a couple, no kids to worry about, I will fish and bow hunt when possible but looking at that as bonus food rather than survival, occasional forage but basic knowledge so will stick to what i know.
    Thanks in advance guys.

Fox Lover

As for raw meat, if you like jerky, the best way would be to smoke it and dry it out. Jerky lasts a long time, otherwise you could salt it (which would also make it taste like ****. For fruits, usually canning it (if you do it properly and have jars on you) will preserve it for a long time. That's as far as my knowledge goes, but I hope I helped a little.

I do feel bad for your situation. The protest there have been pretty bad. I assume you have fishing and hunting licenses and plan to obey the laws for both. Being arrested for poaching and leaving your wife to fend for herself or, worse, having her arrested too, would be pretty bad.

You don't say what equipment you have for food preparation. You can, of course, dehydrate in an oven, but do you have a vacuum sealer or a canner?

Here is a link to some information on drying food. It is an excellent source and has great information: https://nchfp.uga.edu/how/dry/pack_store.html

Canning is, of course, another alternative, as is purchasing freeze dried foods that simply need water.

You can also do these same preps and stay home in an environment you are familiar with and not have to worry about purchasing petrol or figuring out where you are going to stay.

Thank you zippywoop1 and Rick.....Valid and welcome points raised guys , I dont mind jerky and may well try my hand at making some and would certainly buy some as stock items to take with us.
    We intend to buy a dehydrator and vacuum sealer , thanks for the link Rick....regarding staying home and not having issues with gas and travel, long story but in a nutshell the constant oppression of the government has led to a pretty extensive Resistance movement, the French have History for this ;-) ....its manifesting in variuos ways but one of which so far as concerns us is the development of listings of various small business's that are non compliant, meaning they will continue to trade with everyone, jabbed or not, at the moment there are not many in our department but if we move about we can find many...so thats kind of the plan sitting here today :-)...until we hit the road we just continue gathering info :-)