Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Backpack guns

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Everyone has to make their own decisions, but I have been roaming the woods, hunting game large and small, and protecting livestock from predators for 60+ years and I have developed some firm opinions on firearm priorities.

I am of the belief that the first gun an homesteader or farmer in any country or hemisphere should buy is a shotgun in whatever the common bore for your area is.

With the correct ammo a shotgun in 12, 16 or 20 gauge will kill any animal or game one ever encounters if used properly.

A pistol in .38/9mm or larger is convenient and easy to conceal or carry on the belt, but it does not have the range, versatility or power of a shotgun.

I am not anti-pistol, I carry one daily, but that is because a shotgun takes up too much room on the table at Waffle House.
    My dad is always buzzing my ears for getting a .22LR instead of a shotgun. He owns a shotgun and a revolver like an old school cowboy Should I get a shotgun earlier and leave the handgun for later? I can't choose because if I got the handgun I can concealed carry but if I got the shotgun I can (legally) hunt some waterfowl more easily. And I can't get both at the same time.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Deimos View Post
    My dad is always buzzing my ears for getting a .22LR instead of a shotgun. He owns a shotgun and a revolver like an old school cowboy Should I get a shotgun earlier and leave the handgun for later? I can't choose because if I got the handgun I can concealed carry but if I got the shotgun I can (legally) hunt some waterfowl more easily. And I can't get both at the same time.
    Only you can decide that. Is the need for concealed carry and personal protection greater than the need to put additional food on the table? Whichever one scores the highest for you, well then that's your answer.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Yea, what Crash said.

That was what I meant when I said each person had to decide for themselves.

Everyone will be in a slightly different situation and will make their decisions based on that situation.

Plus everyone has their own set of local and national laws shaping their decisions.

In my situation a shotgun is the most logical primary weapon for game or personal defense of my homestead. It is probably the most logical weapon to fill my needs anywhere in North America. There are no barriers other than legal age placed on shotgun ownership. The background check is computerized and fast. Ammo is plentiful in most cases and as cheap as pistol ammo. It's performance will allow me to hunt any small or large game in my area, which is anything from squirrel to elk, with the same gun.

If personal defense in an urban area was my primary concern I would probably chose a handgun.

If hunting at long range was my primary firearm use I would probably chose a powerful centerfire rifle.

When would I chose a .22LR as my only weapon? Never!

I own several, but I have not fired one other than at the target range in years. I have not fired one at all in the past two years that I can remember. Any use the .22lr might have, I own another firearm that will do that job better.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 09-08-2022 at 12:32 PM.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Only you can decide that. Is the need for concealed carry and personal protection greater than the need to put additional food on the table? Whichever one scores the highest for you, well then that's your answer.
    I'm not starving neither endangered. I live in a very small city, crime isn't a big deal here and I don't need to hunt, I Just like to keep my skills sharp and eat some game once in a while. Still, I' share my father's taste, I think that I will buy a revolver first, then a shotgun later. You can hunt with a revolver in a pinch but good luck If you intent to concealed carry a shotgun

Quote Originally Posted by kyratshooter View Post
    Yea, what Crash said.

That was what I meant when I said each person had to decide for themselves.

Everyone will be in a slightly different situation and will make their decisions based on that situation.

Plus everyone has their own set of local and national laws shaping their decisions.
    That's true, but I can't sit and complain about our gun laws anymore. I'm not a hipster that wants to shoot photos th the range. For me, guns are tools. And a Man without his tools is incomplete. Better to deal with the paperwork soon rather than later.
    Thanks everyone for the advice.

IMO, you're correct a firearm is a tool. One that can be used for target shooting, plinking tin cans, hunting, shooting varmints, and rarely if ever used for defense.

Often decisions are also made by draconic State laws.
    As her first husband died, ours is a second marriage. He bequeathed a pistol to her brother who lives in New York State. As the pistol was registered with the NY State Police. As my wife and her first husband moved to North Carolina. There is no way that pistol can be brought back to NY and given to her brother.

food is free in the US, just ask at a church or the Salvation army or food bank. Nobody needs to hunt. That's a crock. If you DID need to forage flesh food, netting, trotlines, rotenone fish poison, bird lime for roosts, steel traps, cable snares for big game, all are many times more efficient ways to "put food on the table" than hunting, especially small game hunting., No, a shotgun does NOT have more effective range than a good 22lr pistol, either, if you can shoot a pistol wort a hoot. I can reliably hit a cottontail at 50m with any of a number of 22lr pistols, preferably a suppressed one, like a polymer Ruger with an alloy upper receiver and skinny 4" barrel, 22 ozs, with the front sight mounted on the "can". You wont do anything of the kind with birdshot. When you come to town for food, you can sell your plasma for $50, once per week. you can get $80 per week, but you'll have to be at the CSL plasma place twice, and the "donations" have to be 2 days apart, as in Monday and Tuesday. It's probably not worth staying an additional time for you "mountain men".
    Last edited by didnot; 12-26-2022 at 02:00 PM.

sure there is, you just have to grow a pair, that's all. Our founding fathers were committing treason and murder, over a 5% tax. We let them tax us 50%. SS is a tax, 13% and no, your employer does NOT pay half, either. Sales tax, tax on gas and tires, income tax, property tax and (real) inflation is 17%,Dec of 2022. Inflation is a tax.

who says you can't carry two pistols, hmm? a 1 lb pocket 9mm and a 1.5 lb suppressed 22lr total no more than a 1911 govt model's 2.5 lbs. Half a lb of ammo, total, for the pair is as much as 2 mags o 230 gr ammo for the .45. So, no, you do NOT have to rely upon just a .22 for defense. Put the 50 gr, 2000 fps solid copper hp Liberty arms ammo in your little 9mm and you'll have 450 ft lbs and tremendous levels of shock and tissue destruction going for you, plus 6 hits per second, twice as fast as can be managed with a 357 snubby and more effective power than 125 gr jhp's in the 357, too. Just gotta know what's what, guys. You're at least 20 years behind the times.

Quote Originally Posted by didnot View Post
    food is free in the US, just ask at a church or the Salvation army or food bank. Nobody needs to hunt. That's a crock. If you DID need to forage flesh food, netting, trotlines, rotenone fish poison, bird lime for roosts, steel traps, cable snares for big game, all are many times more efficient ways to "put food on the table" than hunting, especially small game hunting.,.

Ummm, what? I have read some interesting posts in the 20 yrs I've been on the internet, but this one is, well, fascinating.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Yeah, DIDNOT has some "fascinating" posts.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

I'm trying to be kind. I'm relatively new at it.
    I had a compass, but without a map, it's just a cool toy to show you where oceans and ice are.

Being kind can be a survival skill as well. I know from experience. It helps to keep the cast iron frying pan from flying across the kitchen at me.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

It's easier to wear a smile than a helmet.