Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backpack guns

Where in the glades do you gator hunt?

I have never met an Alligator on wildlife, but I plan to hunt on them. I am going to Michigan because many people say it is the perfect place for hunting them. I was going to hunt on them with my rifle, but my father told me that I would need a small pistol. After reading many reviews on SIR SPAMALOT, I have stopped on Ruger-LC9. In my opinion, it is a good pistol for people with small hands like me. I like that it is affordable, and I could easily buy it, so even people with a small budget can buy it.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 01-19-2022 at 03:09 PM. Reason: Idiot Spammer

So, Mannlicher and I have drawn only a few times in decades of woods walking in FL. Handguns. 2 legged scary nuts.. bears really don't bother me. And vice versa. Hogs are another story. If you're frightened by them (justified) you need a big 'un. Those hogs are tough. Frankly I carry to stop the threat of 2 legged methheads. A 9 mm is sufficient.

I'll bet you plan on hunting with spam. Just a guess.

I hear that bathing in SPAM and then swimming in gator infested waters works very well. When the gator sniffs you, you grab it and spin around and around with it till he's dizzy then drag him up on the bank.....

Alan

Just thinking about that made me fall out of my chair. Old men have vertigo. I'm not sure if they have horizontigo gut if they do that went a long time ago.

My lazy boy has side rails that keep me stable when I drop it into low gear. I do my best work (which is no work) when I get horizontigo.

Alan

I like that. Yeah, I like that a lot.

I carry a 9 mm in FL. I carried a .454 casul in Alaska. The 9mm is for methheads in FL woods. The .454 was for oh **** this monster is gonna eat me alive.

I'm shocked. Shocked I tell ya that ole Azazin came back and edited his/her/it's (want to use the correct pronoun)post.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

That was a ban hammer just waitin' to drop.

if you're skilled with the pistol, there's no need of a longarm unless it's shtf. If it is the latter, you'd better have a short barreled AR-15, taken apart, lashed to the outside of your pack and cover the entire package with a drum-liner, so nobody can see what you have and everything is out of the rain. The pistol should suffice to get you to cover. Then 10 seconds suffices to assemble the AR. Leave a rd in the chamber, tape the charging handle in place, leave the hammer cocked, the safety engaged and the loaded mag in the lower.

Ruger DA revolver in .44 or .357

A lot of people don't realize that there are more predatory black bear attacks than grizzly.
    Here in British Columbia both black bear and grizzly numbers have been increasing since the 1980'start
    We cannot carry pistols here so our options are more limited
    For decades I would hike and camp with no protection, however over the last 10 or so years that has changed
    We have had cougars come into camp that wouldn't leave and some aggressive bears.
    Now I always carry bear spray.
    For a while I carried a marlin 44mag, then about 5 years ago I bought a rossi ranch hand in 44 mag, but soon figured out that I couldn't hit the broadside of a barn with it.
    I put a full stock on it (legal in Canada) and am now quite pleased with it.

Tool & Die Maker

"Just Right Carbine" makes rifles that shoot pistol rounds. I have one that fires 45 ACP. They offer "take down" models that could be used for backpacking.

I don't have a proper handgun yet. My only firearm is a rifle in .22LR caliber.
    I do have a pretty powerful PCP pellet pistol in .22 caliber and an spring powered .22 pellet pistol. I use them both for small game hunting when I'm away from either my firearm or my full-sized airguns. Or when I'm away from my heavy 200lbs crossbow.
    I would never enter dangerous game territory without my crossbow. But for birds and rodents the pellet pistols work fine. Even the sping-powered one managed to kill a rabit.
    I don't use CO2 pistols but some are powerful enough for small game.
    But that is not my concern, soon I will have a proper handgun, even if it is an old but reliable Taurus revolver.
    I own some stuff, and I know some things. But that's all.

There's nothing wrong with a Taurus unless you can't buy ammunition for it.

I enjoy shooting and I have a very understanding wife who also enjoys shooting. Life is good.

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Everyone has to make their own decisions, but I have been roaming the woods, hunting game large and small, and protecting livestock from predators for 60+ years and I have developed some firm opinions on firearm priorities.

I am of the belief that the first gun an homesteader or farmer in any country or hemisphere should buy is a shotgun in whatever the common bore for your area is.

With the correct ammo a shotgun in 12, 16 or 20 gauge will kill any animal or game one ever encounters if used properly.

A pistol in .38/9mm or larger is convenient and easy to conceal or carry on the belt, but it does not have the range, versatility or power of a shotgun.

I am not anti-pistol, I carry one daily, but that is because a shotgun takes up too much room on the table at Waffle House.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

My favorite Col. Jeff Cooper quote...

"Engagements involving a shotgun are of relative short duration."

Alan

My favorite, all time, go to, rid the place of varmintry, firearm is...

The "Brandon Special" Double Barreled shotgun in any of several bore sizes and barrel lengths. There's not much that will withstand or hang around or run away (if it does, it's limping) a double dose of whatever mass of lead the double regurgitates in their direction.

Aside from its effectiveness the double can be rendered completely inert with the push of a lever.

Alan