Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Your opinion appreciated

Default Your opinion appreciated

Do you have a hybrid vehicle and would you ever consider getting one?

After 32 years in NYC and not having owned a car, we are contemplating a move (praying with fingers crossed) to a "normal" state down east where we'll have to have a vehicle to get anywhere. Yay!

With the gas scare at the pumps recently I thought that having a hybrid (like Jeep) might make sense. The electric part only fulfilling the need to be better prepared with a plan B of sorts.

It's one thing to read about it but I'd also like to hear from like-minded friends whose advice I've always found useful.

Right now I only have one vehicle. I have thought about getting a used Chevy Volt. About 2 months ago they were dirt cheap, haven't looked lately. Whats holding me back is I am not sure about lifespan of the battery packs and the REAL cost of replacing them.
    A man full of grits is a man full of peace.

I don't own one and never have. Like Chiggers, my concern is the overall life and the cost of replacement. If you plan to trade vehicles every few years or lease vehicles then the issues would be mute. I buy my vehicles, take care of them and tend to drive them longer so I think those are valid concerns for me. I would think you need to decide whether you want to 1. buy or lease. 2. If you purchase, how long do you want to own the car? Not having owned a car, how adept are you and your husband at car maintenance? I see videos all the time of people that pour coolant in where the oil goes, never change the oil and the list goes on. Knowing when to perform simple, periodic maintenance, even if you have someone else perform it, is critical to the longevity of a vehicle. Yes, it's in the owner's manual but like all owner's manuals people seldom read them.

I don't own one either. My go to vehicle for the past 30 years has been a pickup truck. My latest (2019 F150) gets 20 MPG around town and about 25 or more on the highway. With a 36 gallon tank I don't have to fill up that often and on trips it is wonderful. My issue with hybrids is capacity (I'm retired and planning lots of road trips) and longevity. Batteries are super expensive to replace. My last couple of trucks had well over 200K miles on them. Also, the convenience of having a truck with an 8 foot bed is super convenient for "stuff" that needs to get done.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I've only known one person who owned a hybrid and I didn't like the SOB, so I don't know anything about his car, but I probably wouldn't like it either. He had a Ford Escape and he deserved it.

I wouldn't have one. If I was just going to drive a car for road trips and NEVER have to haul anything more than a couple of grocery bags, I would (will) get another Lexus RX350. Perfect size, moderately priced Lexus, and absolutely reliable. You're going to spend some money up front, but relatively little after that. Ours is 9 years old, 80K miles and zero problems. I have the oil changed regularly and gas it up. She drives it, that's all. Also, customer service at the dealership is phenomenal...

Alan
    Last edited by Alan R McDaniel Jr; 05-19-2021 at 07:17 AM.

It's not SOB, Alan, it's SAAB. It stands for Swedish Autos Are Best...I think. Either that or I just made that up.

A few folks here at work have electric or electric hybrids. Most like them. The Prius is sorta kinda not easy to change cells on. It can be done, but not cheap or easy. Range on pure electric is not there for my weekly commute. And a hybrid just does not make economic sense for me. I need at least an SUV for my commute, and I buy used. A used hybrid would need to be really cheap before I would buy one. Just to much maintenance after about 140K miles.
    Have Lights? Thank a Lineman!
    "Being prepared is sometimes inconvenient, but not being prepared is always inconvenient." - Fred Choate

I've never owned a hybrid. But I know a pickup with some grunt to it will always be in my driveway.

We were entertaining the idea of leasing a Jeep hybrid for 3 years by which time we'll know if we like it without committing to a purchase. In 3 years the technology will definitely improve as "Jeep" claims to have something already in the works that's supposed to wow us. (we'll see)

2021 Jeep guarantees their battery for 100K miles and I suspect new batteries cost several Ks. We've never leased before but have friends who do and are believers in doing it that way. We've rented many different types of cars throughout the years (in the US and abroad) for extended trips and are pretty adept at basic maintenance and care.

Mr. B grew up with a dad who made them all keep a log of recording the odometer every time they filled the car with gas in order to keep track of the mileage. He even went as far as writing down where he bought the gas so if there was ever a problem he wouldn't go back. And of course every little service was recorded as well. Mr. B tried to introduce the practice with our own vehicles after we were married and pre-NYC but the idea never got any traction with me. (a bit too anal in my book)

I don't think I'd want an electric vehicle as our one and only ride because I can see all sorts of problems with that scenario, grid-down for starters. I am also biased in favor of owning an American made car that's also an American brand.

Negotiate that lease just like you are purchasing that car. It can save you thousands. Read, read and read some more. Be a smart shopper when you walk into that lease. A low lease may mean a big down payment. Weigh whether it's best for you to pay down (generally no more than 2k) or roll the charges into the monthly lease. Make certain you look into gap insurance. Be realistic about how many miles you'll put on that leased car. Make certain you maintain it...inside and out. Make certain your lease is equal to or less than the warranty period on the vehicle. Those are some thoughts off the top of my head.

Thank you Rick, that's invaluable info. That's one thing we don't really know much about.

Another thing to consider about leasing is the projected value of the car at the end of the lease. If it is less than what is owed, you will have to pay the difference. As Rick said - be realistic about the mileage. Do your homework about where you are moving. For example, the city I live in is the largest (over 800 square miles) in the Continental US so driving across town has a much different meaning than many other places.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

You have to factor in the cost of adding a charging station. If you want a rapid charging station it uses 80 amps of service. Which might require a service upgrade in a lot of homes.

I have driven nothing but trucks for a long time. I put 250,000 miles on my last f-150 with out any major mechanical problems at all. That truck is still a daily driver for a friend of mine and I sold it to him 5 years ago. He hasn't done anything to the truck!

There are a lot of tempting EVs coming out. But, I think I would only own either hybrid or electric as a second car.

oooh. Charging station. Good point!

I think they're getting close to being ready for prime time. I bought a 2021 Subaru this year and a couple months later they announced a new electric. But I live in Montana where distances between things is great and battery performance really drops off in the cold. If I could afford a 2nd vehivle I'd opt for electric just for the performance. No ICE street legal car at any price can beat an electric thru the 1320.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Archbishop Helder Cāmara

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned". - Richard Feynman

Thank you all! Glad I asked because I wouldn't have thought of half the stuff you guys mentioned.
    Lots to consider, lots to learn.

In the meantime, say a prayer for us that our apt. sale goes through in the next few weeks so we can finally leave the city and start a new "normal" life in a "normal" state down south where we actually moved from 32 years ago. Time to get back home.

Hope it all works out and that you can enjoy some freedom and breathe free air. If it does, we need to get together for a cup of coffee, beer or bourbon (or all three).
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I would never lease a vehicle.

Other opinions may vary.

Alan

Glad you're coming back down south.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Hope it all works out and that you can enjoy some freedom and breathe free air. If it does, we need to get together for a cup of coffee, beer or bourbon (or all three).
    I would look forward to it!