Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping in the wood

Default Camping in the wood

_DSC8995-1.jpg

Spending one day in deep woods last weekend, the camouflage color keeps me stealth, lol! It is really comfortable to sleep in the double-wide hammock

Nice! Welcome to WSF!
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Archbishop Helder Cāmara

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned". - Richard Feynman

The only way a person could sleep outside here right now would be submerged in a dipping vat of Deep Woods Off.

Do you put Off on, or do you put on Off?

Alan

I see what you did there. Wax on, wax off. Very nice, weedhopper. When you are lying in bed and hear the sound of a buzzing mosquito have no fear. That is the sound of a male mosquito in search of a female. Male mosquitos do not bite. So rest easy. The female mosquito is the one that bites but makes no buzzing sound. So if your room is quiet, you need to get up and search for that pesky female!

"...So if your room is quiet, you need to get up and search for that pesky female!"

Reminds me of a joke.

O'Doule gets pulled over by the police. Paddy says, "O'Doule, yer wife fell out of the car about a mile back!"
    O'Doule says, "Oh Thank the Lord, I thought I'd gone deaf!"

Alan

That's one thing I like about Colorado. We have biting flies...but they don't obscure the sun.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I see what you did there. Wax on, wax off. Very nice, weedhopper. When you are lying in bed and hear the sound of a buzzing mosquito have no fear. That is the sound of a male mosquito in search of a female. Male mosquitos do not bite. So rest easy. The female mosquito is the one that bites but makes no buzzing sound. So if your room is quiet, you need to get up and search for that pesky female!
    Rick, the buzz you most often hear from mosquitos is from the female mosquito. It is probable that most people have never heard a male mosquito. Because the females are attracted to the hot, CO2 laden exhalations. So, they fly around our ears. A male mosquito isn't attracted to the CO2 at all. So, he isn't likely to fly where you can hear him.

Um...it was a joke. it appears to have buzzed past overhead. Since they both have wings....they both would, of course...buzz. Oh, look, butterflies.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Um...it was a joke. it appears to have buzzed past overhead. Since they both have wings....they both would, of course...buzz. Oh, look, butterflies.
    Oh, a joke. I get it.

Yeah, folks would be up all night looking for a mosquito that doesn't buzz since their room would be quiet.

I know it's here somewhere. I can't hear a thing.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

I heard a male mosquito once. He was cussing up a storm. Something about his wife buzzing around all over town. I couldn't tell much else...he was very small.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

My brothers and I summered in Northern MN in a one room cabin with Mom and no running water. It was a quarter mile I guess from the dock to the cabin. If we waited until the sun got too low in the evening to get out of the water and go home, it was an all out sprint. Every man for himself. If you paused and looked behind you a dark cloud of skeeters were right behind you. As soon as we were all in Mom shut the door. Any bathroom needs after that you used the thunder mug. Before she turn the light out Mom would tell us "Cover up!" And we'd cower under the blankets. She would fog the room with Raid. When we couldn't feel the mist with our hand out it was "safe" to come out. But it never killed them all.

I suppose that fogging might have something to do with a small amount of brain damage to us. Or something.

You do know a great number of readers have no idea what a thunder mug is let alone have ever used one. Those were the good ole' days.

In South Louisiana in the 60's the mosquito fogger would go through all the neighborhoods. I was an old jeep with a big tank and a fogger on the back. It produced an incredible amount of fog. I'm pretty sure it was DDT or some equally evil concoction of mosquito killing chemicals, but like good children of the day we ran and played in the fog until he outran us or we hit a mailbox or a parked car. The ice cream man and the fogger jeep were in a dead heat for the #1 most anticipated event of the day.

Most of us grew up and became hippies or hippie wannabees (even if briefly).

Alan

There must have been a lot of miles on that jeep because that old boy drove through my neighborhood has well. You could hear that thing coming long before you could see it. You would swear a North American Super Sabre would be screaming down the street any moment only to find that jeep clocking along at 10 miles an hour. But it had a chem trail any F100 would have been proud of. The meanest dog in the neighborhood would back away from that contraption. I'm pretty sure the most common answer to any question his wife posed to him was...what? If you weren't deaf before you started driving that thing, you would be in short order.

I'm an idiot from India. I guess that makes me and India Idiot. I like spam.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 05-23-2021 at 06:18 AM. Reason: Idiot Spammer

Clearly, too much DDT for this one. Probably ate by the spoonful.

Looks pretty comfortable. I've slept only in a tent before.

Just so that you know.....even with my cool avatar, I came back and added a bunch of stuff to my post to spam your site. I got caught and must not take my cool avatar back to my mom's basement.
    Last edited by crashdive123; 07-28-2021 at 02:37 PM. Reason: Idiot Spammer

I need to get me a really cool looking avatar..... Rick already got the best one...

Alan

Well, yeah. That went without sayin'.