Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survival Stories

Default Survival Stories

I was wondering if you guys would share some survival stories. I was just wondering what the real thing is like. Seriously surviving in the wild. So If anyone has put their survival skills to the test in the wild and would like to share their stories I'd love to hear them.

Banned
    Blog Entries

They might be fun to hear, but the real ones are hard, even painful to tell.

Blog Entries

Cool Yo BG!

1st, the only way you're ever going to know what it's like to Survive anything is after you've done it. I've said this over & over again, and I'll post it here just for you: "Survival is NOT the latest extreme sport! Survival is LIFE or DEATH!" That means you either make it or you don't! A Survival situation is nothing to hope for, dream for, or long for. It is something you pray you never run into! Got It?! Only "Numpty's" hope they run into a real "survival scenario".

Now to answer your question. There are Survival Stories scattered all over this site, you just have to search. To start you off, check this one out.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...ead.php?t=1018

Also, here's what I have survived: (I believe I've already posted this elsewhere as well)

1.) I've been "Dissed" by Ranger Rick! (sob)

2.) I've been married, twice (although not at the same time.)

3.) I drink out of a "hard-plastic Nalgene bottle".

4.) I've "Dissed" TBWN, Bear Grylls, & several trolls.

5.) I eat MUSHROOMS!

Does that help?
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blood Groove - Sarge is spot on. Survival is about life and death. Sure most of us have had an experience that may have been unpleasant, used some skills that helped us out of a tough situation. I know some here have been in true survival situations by some posts that have been made. Here's one to show you what I mean. It's not wilderness, but you'll get the idea. Was on a new submarine and we were doing a personnel transfer at sea (moving people from a tug boat to the submarine while moving) Tug boat suddenly lost power and was impaled by back end of submarine. Tug sank in 23 seconds. Several of us went into the water to help - rescued 4, 3 died.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

I always led a nice peaceful life, kinda boring really. If you want to read about stories about courageous men & women that made it and most that didn't the name of the book escapes me now but it relates with photos the heroic deeds of Congressional Medal of Honor holders. That book will tell you everything you need to know about making it and not.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Well here is one from my life, Very sad. Be careful out there
    Last edited by DOGMAN; 02-07-2017 at 05:54 PM.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Give me winter, give me dogs... you can keep the rest- Knud Rasmussen

Southern WV , raised in Eastern KY up a holler

1.) I've been "Dissed" by Ranger Rick! (sob)

2.) I've been married, twice (although not at the same time.)
    4.) I've "Dissed" TBWN, Bear Grylls, & several trolls

Gosh Sarge, you are truly a whale among minnows to have survived all three. I bow in your presence, Blood Grove this a REAL man.
    Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he's too old
    to fight... he'll just kill you.

Blog Entries

I'm with Sarge & Crash on this. It is painful for me to talk about my experience's. Trust me when I say that a good night is when I'm so tired that I fall right to sleep without reliving it. Some make it out, others don't!
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

For more info about this please contact me personally. Be careful out there
    Last edited by DOGMAN; 02-07-2017 at 05:55 PM.
    The way of the canoe is the way of the wilderness and of a freedom almost forgotten- Sigurd Olson

Kklak, I am with you. However, for me sharing is a way of hopefully teaching, and remembering. When I ever start to think that I am tough, or hard or anything to pump my ego I start to remember all the horrible shat I've seen at the hands of mother nature- and its very, very humbling

Blog Entries

Jason I do share with some. But on a personal level. I use my training and experience to train others so they will be better equipped. This is a good forum and I like it allot. But here is not the place for me to talk about it. Maybe one day I will come to terms with it and will be able to share freely. Thank you for encouraging me.

Sorry, KKlak, i wasn't trying to get you to share. I was just trying to explain my actions. I may not have explained myself clear there. We all have our own ways of dealing. And, some stories are harder than others to share. I was more defending myself there, because some people think its inappropriate to share in such a place as this, and I was just trying to explain why I do...not that you should.
    I had two uncles in Vietnam, and I gathered from them military/war stories of survival are a lot different to deal with than the kind of stuff I've seen.

Blog Entries

Jason, no apology necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Groove View Post
    I was wondering if you guys would share some survival stories. I was just wondering what the real thing is like. Seriously surviving in the wild. So If anyone has put their survival skills to the test in the wild and would like to share their stories I'd love to hear them.
    The hardest part of a true survival story, is remembering those that didn't make it. I will never forget the phone call to my friends mom, informing her that her youngest son had died in the jungle in South America. Her reaction still brings tears to my eyes when I think about it. "Why, why" was all she could say. I still wonder that myself.

Blog Entries

Depends on the person and situation, but sharing the stories is a type of closure and can be very helpful to others.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Kodak time!

Are you getting the picture BG? This ain't some game or just an extension of a reality show from the Discovery channel. This is real. If you live through an accident of some sort but lose a leg in the process, well, you survived, right? But your leg is gone, and that ain't cool! When I was 17 Veit Nam was revving up. I had 3 cousins that served over there, one survived, if you want to call it that. One came home in a body bag & the one I was closest to didn't die from it until he was 55! He lived that nightmare the rest of his short life, trying to kill the memories with drugs & booze. He "survived" several car wrecks that he created while "driving under the influence". Not to mention all the bar fights he started with some real "Bada$$es" and wound up getting the crap kicked out of him. Prior to his death he'd lost an eye when a rip saw he was running while he was high kicked back a piece of wood into his face; & had to have 3/4ths of his stomach removed so it wouldn't hold alcohol. He had 3 failed marriages and died in his sleep, all alone. His body wasn't discovered until days later. Did he "Survive" Viet Nam? You tell me, and while you're at it tell me what's so cool about it.
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

I have had survival in the army and in civilian life and none is a good thing even surviving is rough but talking about it helps others to know what to do by my mistakes.
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Default survival story

This one time, really early in the morning and I hadn't even had coffee, right? So, I whip into Tim Horton's drive through and there's already a HUGE lineup and I'm like tapping my fingertips on the steering wheel I'm getting so impatient. Line's crawling ahead and suddenly, the woman two cars ahead of me stalls out her vehicle and can't get it started. I was trapped!! Finally, I just shut off the truck and walked in to the Timmy's and got my coffee, man for a couple of minutes there I didn't think I was gonna make it! I know this doesn't put me in Sarge's league or anything but we're talking 15-20 minutes without my morning coffee here people! It's a wonder all the people around me survived...

Not the kind of survival story you're looking for? OK, I'll stop.
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Blog Entries

Needed to pee real bad one time at the theater but the line of the movie letting out was so damn long! I started staring at one place and then said "Holy crap" while continuing to stare and when everyone looked that way slipped up to the pizzer and let it flow! Man thought I wouldn't survive the disfunctional bladder syndrome that was creeping up on me.

Blog Entries

Talking Well now...

Ole' WV Coot: ROTFL!!!

Trax & Beu: Hey! Weren't you guys also dissed by Ranger Rick for being down on his "Survival Necklace"? That's OK though, I got even for all of us. I called every ski resort in the Alps and had them raise the price of Lift Tickets 50%! No; no thanks needed.
    SARGE
    Albert Einstein

Benjamin Franklin