Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Building a .308 from Bare Bones?

Default Building a .308 from Bare Bones?

I'd love any input for a start. I got the general idea but I have confidence in the info/help/advice here.

Should I build the upper, then drill and tap for sights?

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Are you talking about building an AR platform .308?
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Yup. And I haven't even assembled one. But I have had success with the AR-15.
    My interest is the process as much as the shooting.

I got a good tip on another forum. If I use railed handguards I don't need to drill for sights. Yes?

if you are building an AR platform why would you drill for sights anyway?

Even the "traditional" configuration had the sights integrated to the carry handle and mounted on the front gas block.

Using an upper with the rail integrated into the system allows all of the sighting hardware available for the standard AR to be used on the .308. You simply insure that you have to front section of the rail aligned with the rail section on the rear upper.

With a railed rear section one can also use a railed gas block and short handguard.

We had a little discussion on the .308 setup here a few months back. They are not at all like the "standardized" AR15 systems. Each is proprietary. When you start with a system you have to stay with that maker for all parts.

As for me, right now I would not sink money into any semiauto platform. When certain factions get through with us this time there will not be any "grand-fathering" of anything in the coming bans. they intend to take it all. Everything one puts into any of the systems will be a total loss.

At this point I want to thank all of the "anyone but Trump" voters for the betrayal they have done to us. One major gun control law already passed and a raft of Executive Orders in the works.
    Last edited by kyratshooter; 04-16-2021 at 11:07 AM.

yeah. It's depressing. But I bought all the parts before it got crazy (In a fit of forethought. lol). So the cost isn't too bad. Anyway it's spent already.

It took me a long time to decide what went where and what just ain't gonna work. Nowadays you don't build guns to save money. You build them as a hobby. Shooting is great. But it COSTS$$$$$$$ now.

I just bought a Crossman Vantage .22 caliber air rifle. Shoot all day for pocket change.

I finally found 300 BLK out subsonic. BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!! 20 rounds for 35 bucks.

...I don't think so.

and I'm still thinking about a caveman AK
    Last edited by madmax; 04-16-2021 at 11:46 AM.

Tool & Die Maker

As for me, right now I would not sink money into any semiauto platform. When certain factions get through with us this time there will not be any "grand-fathering" of anything in the coming bans. they intend to take it all. Everything one puts into any of the systems will be a total loss.

At this point I want to thank all of the "anyone but Trump" voters for the betrayal they have done to us. One major gun control law already passed and a raft of Executive Orders in the works.

Don't be so pessimistic. First, what was the major gun control last that passed.

I don't think they will take it all, I just don't believe that. Even Biden's so called words on gun control were weak and meaningless. Kamala Harris was on TV saying the Sand Hook shooting is an example for the need for gun control. So, she plans to penalize millions of gun owners because of a known . mentally Ill shooter who couldn't legally own firearms so he stole the firearms and killed the owner, his mother. Sandy Hook was not about firearms at all but about mental Illnesss. Lets say
    Kamala takes away all the assalt weapons, does this address the root cause of Sandy Hook, NO.

I'm writing my senators and representatives almost twice a week

Tool & Die Maker

I almost ordered an AR-10 Kit from Daytona Tactical about a year ago. I began thinking why buy another rifle if I can't buy ammo for it. So, the AR-10 never got ordered.

Jim, you can not fathom the depth of the loathing these people have for the American people, and their fear of them. These are the people that Madison, Jefferson and Adams warned us about when they wrote the Federalists Papers.

As of two weeks ago the President, the Senate and the House of Representatives made it a felony to give your grandson a shotgun for Christmas, or your son, daughter, niece, nephew, father or mother. No firearm can pass hands for any amount of time without a federal background check. You can not loan a gun to your neighbor to kill a rat in the basement and have him bring it back in five minutes. You can not leave firearms to your children in your will unless you go through a dealer for a background check. There is also a question of if you can let a friend go with you to the range and shoot one of your guns, then hand it back, without a background check.

Now logically, to enforce this new law it is going to me mandatory to register all firearms as the next legislation, to ensure following the new mandate. They can not control what they do not know exists, and they want to know.

They are talking so intensely on this that even the liberal media is getting concerned with the rhetoric sounding a bit too authoritarian and dictatorial. The media is noticing that the proposed moves are not about safety or crime, but about controlling population behavior and opposition to the regime.

The "ghost gun" bill has even attracted media attention in that the administration can not site any crimes committed with a "ghost gun" or exactly what one is. However they seem to scare the regime to death, as if there were one behind every bush.

They are also noting that many of the voices that are the loudest do not know a thing about firearms, lumping everything into one pile.

It's a gun, it's evil, it must be destroyed.

Unless it is in the hands of one of their bodyguards.

"They" mentioned "ghost guns" as being the weapon of choice in gangs. Being that they are so easy. I saw one oped that they were also much cheaper (!!!!!!). Wouldn't it be nice to have a job that you just dream stuff up, write it down, and get paid for it?

A prediction. They will eventually realize that without gun ranges nobody can practice or just go shoot for the heck of it. They will go after them. You heard it here first.

I'm always very surprised when it sounds like a politician these days sound like they have any kind of ethic at all. Most of the people involved with making laws focus on the desires of the people who they think are most likely to help them get elected. The Democrats are riding the wave of highly publicized shootings.

After 9/11 George Bush greatly increases his fear rhetoric. Fear mongering is demonstrably a favorite tactic of politicians.

If you're afraid "they're" going to invade your homes to take things away from you and put you in prison, you should strongly suspect "their" opposition. You're being manipulated.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I'm not sure about manipulation this time. The Covid rescue plan costs $1.9 trillion. We're going to add $2.2 trillion dollars for infrastructure and the American Family Plan will cost $1.8 trillion all on top of a $28 trillion national debt. Of which we can only pay on the $3.8 trillion interest on the debt. His raising taxes on corporations can only mean higher costs to everyone. Do we think they won't pass those costs along in prices or restructure their headquarters off shore? Everett Dirkson once said, "A billion here, a billion there and pretty soon you're talking about real money."

Seven stages of civilization. We're almost through the age of Decadence (6) and starting on the age of Collapse (7). It could very well be a global collapse.

I wouldn't panic, folk. We survived the idiocy and incompetence of the last administration, we'll get through this one, too.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Archbishop Helder Cāmara

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned". - Richard Feynman

The difference is the last administration turned in the best numbers of almost any administration. You might not like the man but you have to respect the results. Those can't be argued with and I'm off track from the .308 build. Sorry.

That's ok Rick. I got sidetracked here when some parts for my Glock clone build came available.
    I think all I lack on the .308 build is the internals for the upper. And maybe some plastic furniture.

Tool & Die Maker

If you think it's bad at the Federal level you should see what Illinois is trying to legislate. Appalling how dumb these representatives and senators really are. When I write them criticizing a proposed bill then I offer suggestions on some things gun owners would approve of and be effective legislation. They often pick up on my suggestions.

One thing is obvious, they refuse to put any pressure on the criminals, the source of crime.

What is even more appalling is how some individuals think that the crap they voted for this time around is nothing to worry about.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I learned last night that it only takes 30 minutes to assemble a ghost gun. My skills must be really lacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I learned last night that it only takes 30 minutes to assemble a ghost gun. My skills must be really lacking.
    How do you even see them?

Alan