Thread: Where to live off the grid

Default Where to live off the grid

Hey, first of all, I want to state that I am new here and extremely sorry if I'm posting in the wrong place.

For a long time, it has been a dream of mine to go fully off the grid and see how long I would be able to survive in true wilderness. I have already "practiced" wilderness survival a few times at a quite remote location in my home country (North Europe). However, it wasn't *truly* off the grid experience, as there are many laws prohibiting you from doing things you would need to do. For example, you aren't allowed to cut down any trees or use spruce brushes for building a shelter. Basically, shelter building is quite difficult as you can only use small branches found on the ground (usage of logs / fallen trees is also illegal). In addition, hunting and trapping are extremely restricted. Bowhunting is restricted to only small game + a few deer species at very specific times. Trapping can only be done by using traps that *don't* harm the animal, which means that it would be illegal to use most primitive traps that kill the animal instantly.

Therefore, I would like to ask if anyone has recommendations and knowledge on locations/countries in which at least some of the laws described above aren't as strict. Traveling wont be an issue (except due to covid, but let's think post-covid) as I'm open to go anywhere to fulfill this dream. I'm not asking you to google information for me, but more just wondering if anyone already has knowledge of these things (for example, from your own home country).

I suggest you go back and read your country's hunting and trapping law. Snares are even allowed for certain species.

You're allowed to use traps that kill immediately only on certain species, but even then they have to be *modern* and cannot be primitive, which in my opinion partially defeats the purpose of surviving alone without the help of modern tools. Otherwise, only traps capturing the animal without harming it in any way are allowed. For example, you're not allowed to use a Mojave Scissor Trap because it is primitive, not a modern, bought snare. Same goes for all other types of primitive snares/traps.

Antartica. Survival off the grid at its best! Never been there, never going.

Alan

On the plus side, nothing on my list lives there.

Wait. There's this thing called snow there right?
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

To help answer the OP, it would be helpful if you could be clear on what you are actually wanting to do. There can be a big difference in living off grid and living primitively.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

There are laws and hunting restrictions in all parts of the world. You will never escape that type restriction.

There are also laws against squatting or building structures on public or private land in most of the world.

Since you are in Northern Europe and have basically zero wilderness experience, and are looking for a simulated situation which will never be duplicated in your real world, why not book a quidded backpacking tour in Norway, Sweden, or Finland as a holiday. By the time you have hiked a couple hundred kilometers with your entire world on your back you will probably have enough of wilderness life for a while.

Tours in that region can be as difficult or as easy as you desire and they do have some fine wilderness areas, they just don't want all of Europe trying to set up hobo camps, build cabins and cut firewood from them.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan R McDaniel Jr View Post
    Antartica. Survival off the grid at its best! Never been there, never going.
    Alan

Lots of juicy penguins, yum-yum..