Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: My Figure 4 Deadfall trap prototype

Ya, that probably wouldn't have gone over too well with the parents or administration. If it did happen I would have been able to show them how to gut a rabbit without a knife.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up He's Back!

Quote Originally Posted by Beowulf65 View Post
    Now that would have been funny: "Hey kids this is what happens to bugs bunny when he goes under my figure4 dead fall
    Glad to have you back, Beu, this place hasn't been the same without your own personal touch. Look out Rick, Ken has reinforcements!
    SARGE
    "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe."
    Albert Einstein

Proud father of a US Marine....SEMPER FI!

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin

Blog Entries

Rick shimk... twinkie boy is okay in my book but every once in while I gotta get him going, thats my job here... senior pot stir'er
    There is no greater solitude than that of the Tracker in the forest, unless perhaps it's that of the wolf in the wilderness.

Beowulf's the pot stir'er, but who's the fire under the pot?

By the way, I'll try the Figure 4 Deadfall trap again this weekend. I'll see if I can improve it any. I'll be taking y'all's advice/pointers to make it better. Also if I have time (a.k.a. patience), I'll try a different trap and take pictures of that too for more criticism. lol Thanks
    <<<
    Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!
    Bam! - Bam! - Bam! - Bam! - Bam! - Bam!

Good job KT. But did you catch anything with it? I have yet to see a video of a deadfall actually catch anything. So I have to remain skeptical.

Just be aware. Animals often set deadfall traps for human. It's a little know fact but it's true. Science has yet to figure the purpose of setting the traps but men feel compelled to crawl under and check things out. Often proving deadly.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

LOL!!! Good one, Rick.

Actually, Rush, I didn't try to use it on anything. I really just wanted to practice making it. To see the faults in my design, get some tips on how to improve it, but mainly overall to see if I can get one to work. I don't ever plan on trying to actually capture anything with this type of trap - that is until I go camping again. I really just want to practice the BUILDING of the trap to make sure I know how to make it in the field if necessary. After all, it seems like there are a large amount of people getting stuck in a survival situation who think they'll never need to know anything like this. It's Newton's Law, but I'm not complaining.

P.S. - Rick, what the hell's a Mitsubishi Legnum?
    <<<
    Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    Then you'd have parents calling the school and psychologists would have to be brought in. Then the next thing you know, the end of a holiday....

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    Several young children in the room when photo of dead bunny appeared on screen. All emotionally traumatized by event. Each now looking at a lifetime of counselling.

Hmmmm. No "Explicit Photograph Warning" -- Forum is supposed to be "child-friendly" -- to make matters worse, pic was posted by a person of authority A SUPER MODERATOR -- pic was posted on internet with full knowledge that it would be viewed interstate, so Mass courts have jurisdiction and Mass law applies....

(Looks up names of sheriffs who serve interstate process in central Indiana.)
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    Good job KT. But did you catch anything with it? I have yet to see a video of a deadfall actually catch anything. So I have to remain skeptical.
    I hear they work pretty good on pet rabbits.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I use the Paiute Deadfall, extremely sensitive trap trigger mechanism. Downside is you need cordage. You know those spring-leg baited traps that are shaped like an "X" (not the modern metal ones, homemade wood ones)? They are suppost to be for trapping Deer and big game animals, but I make hair-thin sensitive ones that I have caught Racoons with. but you also need cordage with that one. Iv'e never been successful with the figure-four, but I guess it's a last resort if you have no cordage to make. Hey but widen the weight on that trap, the animal will most likely escape. You want a weight that isn't to heavy to crush the prey and ruin meat or a too light of a weight that doesn't kill the animal and makes it suffer.
    KILL OR BE KILLED

"A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Thanks, Wolf. That'll help me when I try that one.

By the way, just for grammar's sake, how is that pronounced?

Pie-oo-tay?
    <<<
    Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!

Pi Yoot (long i)
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

KT. Good job on the trap. you might want to consider a few more things. as said by the others ...longer log, shallower angle (less distance to drop) A larger stone or other weight tied to the top portion of the log, Two long straight stakes on either side of the log to guide the fall. (I've used it and it works.) If you use it in the wild, youll be setting it cross wise or lengthwise on an animal trail or run. Lenghtwise is has been more successful for me. also block the sides of the trail with a sort of fence of sticks or brush starting a couple of feet a way from the trap .it should continue along the sides of the trap too. this will help to funnel the animal in and prevent a sideways jump. hope this helps
    Keep practicing and good luck.
    j
    Walk softly upon the earth!

Thanks for the advice. I was going to try and build another one this past weekend but it rained and everything got extremely wet.
    <<<
    Aaaaahhhhhhh!!!

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I hear they work pretty good on pet rabbits.

Being grain fed he would have been good eating too . I think the kids would have wondered where he was Monday morning.

Nice trap cobra. They are hard to balance. I dont even notch the diagonal stick if the notches on the other sticks are good. Ive tried to catch mice in them but have been unsuccessful.

nice trap cobra. they are hard to balance. I dont even notch the diagonal stick if the notches on the other sticks are good. I try to catch mice in them.

Deja vu all over again.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel