Thread: Moose n dogs

Default Moose n dogs

Been the typical yearly issues of moose around the house. Dog can't quit barking. Moose are on the roads to. Having to deal with them just becomes part of life. Kinda nice to watch too.
    Our wonderful daughter bought me a new computer toy so I'm figuring it out. Hope you all are doing OK.

Coyotes and raptors are about the only folks we have to watch out for. It's nice to not have to dodge Southern deer on the road since I retired to Colorado.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Mosquitoes and geckos. Not quite as disruptive as larger animals.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Hey, wait a minute. I've got an entire list. Actually, a couple of pages. It's waaaaay more that mosquitoes and geckos. The only thing you've got going for you is you don't have to shovel sunshine. I have to give you that.

We have a few mosquitos around. One thing about a moose. They make for good road kill. Not a good day for whoever hits one though.
    Don't know how to shovel sunshine. Snow, manure, rocks im pretty good at. Well used to be when I was younger.
    Any of you all getting out n being outdoorsy ?

Eh, I walk to the store sometimes...
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

Rick. You don't know the half of it. I'd love to take you out for a short romp in the Florida woods. You'd have a ball.

Dave could come and moderate... snicker.

No. Ya'll have dinosaurs. 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Aklogcabin View Post
    We have a few mosquitos around. One thing about a moose. They make for good road kill. Not a good day for whoever hits one though.
    Don't know how to shovel sunshine. Snow, manure, rocks im pretty good at. Well used to be when I was younger.
    Any of you all getting out n being outdoorsy ?
    I manage to get outdoors every day. Most evenings sitting by the fire pit relaxing with an adult beverage. Some camping. Some day hikes. But outside as much as I can.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I'm going a bit stir crazy. Had to have some bodywork done n waiting for my body to heal. Getting outside means shoveling snow. Walk ways n roofs. Plowing snow n fixing snowplow. Gotta feed the bunnies. We grow meat rabbits. Play with the dog. Teaching our chessy to find moose antlers. Watching our 4 year old grandson ride his snogo is great. He has no fear ,yet.
    Got a list a mile long but getting out to our cabin is my priority. Got some lynx out there to harvest. Be nice to put up a bunch of lynx for the freezer. Kids want to play around with the furs n make hats n such.

I hope you're on the mend, Aklogcabin! Try to "enjoy" or at least tolerate the downtime.
    "When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why they are poor, they call me a communist." Archbishop Helder Cāmara

"I would rather have questions that can't be answered than answers which can't be questioned". - Richard Feynman

I did my time in Alaska, 4 years at Elmendorf, 4 at Eielson, then had the crazy idea to go back to Anchorage and work until we could retire.. Realized after 7 years, there was no way to retire up there so moved to a guaranteed job in Portland, OR, Bought a house after 2 months, went up to Seattle to teach a class, told my boss I needed Friday off to move into my house.. Went to work Monday, got laid off. They said "Hey, we'll give you $1500 to go back to Alaska. That wouldn't cover the rental truck and fuel for it, let alone my 4 vehicles I brought down..

So I'm stuck here across the ditch from Portland. Man I can't wait to get out of this place..

I had a Golden Retriever I rescued and figured he'd be a great hunting dog. Took him down to Potters March, sat down facing the water behind an old log. My Golden was sitting there next to me.. Ducks came in, pulled up my shotgun and shot, missed the duck.. Wondered if my dog saw anything.. I look down at him and he's holding the empty shell kinda flippin it around like "Hey, I caught it, aren't you proud of me.. We left..

Another time I took him hunting for some ptarmigan.. He finds a spot to take a big ole dump and these two cow moose came trotting by and he's lookin at me like "Should I chase 'em?!?!"

Left Anchorage and got sent to NE Arkansas AFB there. Picked up another dog.. She went to Alaska with us, my golden passed of cancer while in Arkansas.. She was a total frisbee dog.. EVERY night we had to play frisbee. At Eielson AFB, we liven in a decent duplex. I'd step out at night, throw a frisbee down the hill, dog would run after it, find it, do her business while I was walking down to the back yard.. One night, we did our routine, she grabbed her frisbee and went running past me to get in the house.. I'm thinkin What the heck?" and I looked to my right just in time to see Momma Moose at full charge at me, she dropped her head and just hit me in the shoulder because she was more concerned about my dog. It was that night when I learned I scream like Homer Simpson..

Last one was after I retired, we went back to Anchorage. Wife got up to go to work, comes back to where I was sitting and says "There's a moose on the front step." I get up to investigate, sure enough, big cow resting on my front step. The wife is standing next to me on my right and I tell her "The moose is on the left side of the step, just go out there and step around her and go get in your truck.. She believed me.. She opens the storm door and I'm right behind her.. She gets one step outside and that cow stood right up and was an inch from her face.. I'm behind her goin "Go, run around her, go..!" My wife replied with several "Oh S**Ts" and managed to push me back in the house and got inside herself..

It always amazes me that she's been married to me for 40+ years..