Thread: Wilderness survival programs 2021

Question Wilderness survival programs 2021

Hi All,

I am curious for a community perspective (this forum) on the available wilderness survival schools. I am open to any length, currently considering 1-month programs. e.g. BOSS in Boulder, Utah, though my preference is a more forested / subalpine / alpine terrrain to match my backpacking trips.

Some things I'm looking for:
    • Principles before personalities. NOLS-style "peer-reviewed" methods vs. "I am Peter and my way is the only way"
    • Time and space to apply skills with feedback. No militaristic bootcamp
    • Terrain preferably forest / subalpine / alpine. E.g. Rocky mountains, Alaska, or similar parts of the US or even outside US (patagonia?)
    • Skills preferably include animal tracking, hunting/trapping, edibles, shelter building and fire making
    • Attitude more like a "home away from civilization" than "the world is ending", though I intend to use the skills in backpacking emergencies as well as to further enjoyment of existing trips

My experience is mostly backpacking, including off-trail navigation in Alaska and Sawtooth (Idaho); my wilderness survival skills are minimal.

I've found two lists on google (below), though I just do not know any organization other than NOLS, so am looking for help on what schools to trust, or where to look.

https://thedyrt.com/magazine/lifesty...ps-wilderness/
    https://www.primalsurvivor.net/best-...l-schools-usa/

The alternative to a long program is to do a 7-day and then rent a cabin and keep practicing myself.

Thank you!

I have no experience with organized schools. For most of my life I've been sort of get out and do it kind of guy for what I wanted to learn, with as much research as possible of course. Hopefully somebody here has experience with the type of schools/training you are looking for.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    I have no experience with organized schools. For most of my life I've been sort of get out and do it kind of guy for what I wanted to learn, with as much research as possible of course. Hopefully somebody here has experience with the type of schools/training you are looking for.
    Thank you. My original idea was to rent a cabin and just YouTube / research and try one day at a time.

I agree with Crash. Full immersion sort of thing. You'll never forget your mistakes. I have done survival school stuff. And I learned things. But nothing compares to getting out there and living it.