Thread: Decorative knots are fun to tie but..

Default Decorative knots are fun to tie but..

Don't think you can make a bunch of wristbands, watchbands, key fobs, zipper pulls, etc, take them to a craft fair and make a bunch of money..

Lesson learned. I used to tie all kinds of bracelets and sell them for $5.00 to which $4.00 of that went to a no-kill animal shelter and the other dollar paid for more cord..

So everyone tells me "Ohh, these are great, you should go to the school when they have their craft fair, it's huge..

So, I packed up ALL my various cord, my paracord, my lacrosse cord, buckles, you name it. I went to the school, paid $15.00 for my table and set up.

I brought over 100 bracelets in just about every color combination you can imagine with probably 25 different typed of knots to make the bracelets or watch bands.. I also brought in my big roll around box with all my cords in it in case someone wanted a special combination of colors.

I sat there all day, one lady had me make two bracelets in a certain color, she paid for them.. $10.00...

I paid $15.00 for the table rental!! The guy at the table behind me wanted to know if I wanted to share a table with him at the next bazaar.. I just laughed..

I actually lost money that day and I got really tired of women walking by saying things like "Ohh, that's nice, little Jimmy can make those for us."

Little Jimmy MIGHT remember how to tie one simple knot.. Did I mention I brought 25 different knots??

Yeah, so anyway.. Does anyone want to buy some cord??

If there's any chance to make money with paracord and crazy knots, I think it might be on Etsy..

Yeah, I'm cursed like that too. If I put stuff on a table, it won't sale. I don't know how people make money at yard sales.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I was at a yard sell one time and there was a set of walkie talkies on the table. I picked one up to look at it and a little kid about 4 years old offered, "They don't work!" His mom said, "They don't have batteries." She watched him walk away then turned to me and said, "For a reason." I bought them.

Heh. Just one more story from...where was that?

My impression is that place is important. Up North, rich folks clean out their homes and replace the things they bought last year. That means that the stuff in their yard sells is very functional and only a year old!.

Well, that was back in 1978 so things might have changed since then....
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

'78? Most of the folks on here weren't even born in '78. I'd been through half a dozen cars and two homes by then.

WolfVanZandt Rich folks yards sales are the the best if you get there early, they REALLY want to get all this junk out of their way so they price accordingly. New clothes with tags for a quarter, tools they bought from some big name store for top dollar knowing full well they were not going to use it more than once ( or maybe planned to but the first time they plugged it in it scared the heck out of them) so they put it out on the sale table (OR they stick the stuff in totes and boxes at the side of the road with a big FREE sign on it) I always ask if I can plug in any electrical tools before I take them, because if they don't work I won't take them, but I am slowly building my tools back up after Steve's kids took everything and I only got back what I had receipts with MY name on them.

Love those sales, fishing rods and tackles boxes are usually pretty cheap as well, one owner goes on vacation to Florida every year on a fishing vacation with his boss who loves to fish, but the home owner not so much but does along with the boss each year, and buys new gear every year once they get to Florida. He brings the gear home, but doesn't like it taking up space in his garage (there is no tools in that dudes garage, he only parks his cars there) so he puts the dear out there for cheap, but it isn't cheap gear. Steve and I picked the gear up several years and kept what we wanted out of it and sold the rest for a nice profit.

I actually have a nice vintage wooden kitchen cabinet in my pantry that I picked up last year with the free sign on it. I stopped to look because it looked intact, and it matches my old Hoosier cabinet Steve and I bought one year. I was afraid that there was some hidden damage you couldn't see from the road, but it was fully intact, no damage, no sign of repair anywhere, the owner explained it sat in her mothers home for as long as she could remember and she inherited it when mother dies, but it doesn't fit in with her decor, she wasn't in to the wood look.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Around here, people have yard sales (eh...not like Virginia) but they also just put stuff out on the curb for anyone that wants it. My son picked up a great couch the other day. The dingo had eaten part of the one downstairs so we just gave it to him and replaced it with the new couch.

He was ecstatic.