Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you reading currently

98.6 was oversold to me. I guess my disappointment was partially a function of that hype. Also I didn’t take to the repetitive nature(I understand it's usage as a teaching tool) and humor(which I did not like). I did not say it was a bad text, it just did not appeal to me. But he did have some information that I just did not agree with...but that is probably true with any text.

In regards to Stalag Luft III. Your right about excavations/GPR etc. There was a show about this on cable a couple years back.

Some of the humor was a bit over the top. Not refined and sophisticated like you find around here. Hey, pull my finger....
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Wilderness Evasion (A guide to hiding out and eluding pursuit in remote areas) by Michael Chesbro
    Building the Alaskan Log Home Tom Walker
    And Northern Bushcraft by Mors L. Kochanski

I wanted to start some fiction again, but these seem to be capturing all my attention lately.
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

Banned
    Blog Entries

"LIMITS to GROWTH" The 30 year update.

Blog Entries

I'm reading the latest issue of "The Backwoodsman Magazine". I am also reading these "Wilderness Survival Forums".
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I am reading this book about survival skills... Heres a page that i want to share with everybody.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Blog Entries

Just finished "A Walk in the Woods" by Bill Bryson. He tells a humorous story of his trek up the Appalachian trail. Good book even though he is a bit of a tree hugger, funny.

Reading bits and pieces of "Hunting with the Traditional Bowhunters of Georgia" by a variety of authors and your truly has three published.

Started reading "1776" but have put that on hold as it's a novel, back burner for now.

Just started "Crow Killer" The true story of Liver Eating Johnson, ya'll have watched the movie Jeramiah Johnson. The movie is nothing like the true story. I read this book every Fall, been doing it for the last 4 years. I think I'm the only one who checks this book out of the library.

Also pick up the SAS handbook and do spot checks on my knowledge.

And last, have to read Black Belt mag., something about that Muay Thai Elbow that is just so fascinating.

Blog Entries

I read A Walk in the Wilderness as well. Very funny. I am now reading In a Sunburned Country also by Bill Bryson. Excellent writer.
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.
    Oscar Wilde

http://www.youtube.com/user/jimhuntermj21

I am reading a Fur, Fish & Game magazine, as well as modules of a course I am taking, Accident Causation & Investigation.

I've been reading When All Hell Breaks Loose by Cody Lundin, it's not bad as far as people preping for disaster. Read Lone Survivor and loved it, also Grizzly Years by Doug Peacock, another great book.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

Cabela's catalogue, it's my wish book
    some fella confronted me the other day and asked "What's your problem?" So I told him, "I don't have a problem I am a problem"

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    I am reading this book about survival skills... Heres a page that i want to share with everybody.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.
    erunkiswldrnssurvival, what is the name of that book? Looks interesting.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Default Did you read Lone Survivor yet, Crash?

Quote Originally Posted by crashdive123 View Post
    Finished 98.6 Degrees (again) - currently reading America The Last Bes Hope by William Bennett, next on the list is Lone Survivor: The Eyewitness Account of Operation Redwing and the Lost Heroes of SEAL Team 10.
    I read that book last Fall, here's a link to my post.

http://www.wilderness-survival.net/f...=lone+survivor

Great book. Just gave me so much more respect for those who serve our country.

I just finished a Stephen Ambrose book on Eisenhower and WWII.
    Not all who wander are lost - Tolkien

Yep read it. It was a good read that painted an accurate picture.

My next read (maybe listen) is one that I haven't read in years. I just won a "door prize" at a function I was attending and won "The Call of The Wild" by Jack London. The case came with a hard cover copy of the book and 6 hours of cassette tapes. This week I have to travel to south Florida for a couple of days, so I'm thinking the 6 hours of audio will just about be right for the one way drive.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

reading the 54 issues of wilderness way and latest issue of backwoodsman, i am totaly satisfied with wilderness way ya'll just packed full of the best info
    always be prepared-prepare all ways
    http://wareaglesurvival.blogspot.com

Senior Member erunkiswldrnssurvival's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Wolf View Post
    erunkiswldrnssurvival, what is the name of that book? Looks interesting.
    Thanks.SURVIVALUS ARCANUM is the name of the book; A man that I know whom lived in the Carolinas wrote and illustrated, his name is Larry Tzaar. Larry and I worked on a primitive "Forest Farming" project from'95 thru
    '02. The book that i have is an original handwork covering topics idealizeing the "forest is my farm" approach to cultivating and obtaining nessary things. its a very interesting book and I will feature it in some more of my posts. To my knowledge there are not any other copys of this book yet in print.
    Last edited by erunkiswldrnssurvival; 09-22-2008 at 08:51 PM.
    God lives in the Mountain, Serve the Master, The Mountain also serves the Master. Serve the Mountain,
    The Mountain Breaks you.
    http://www.youtube.com/trapperjacksurvival
    http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/erunkis

Currently reading several textbooks, and Collapse, how societies choose to fail by Jared Diamond.
    "When young men seek to be like you, when lazy men resent you, when powerful men look over their shoulder at you, when cowardly men plot behind your back, when corrupt men wish you were gone and evil men want you dead; Only then will you have done your share." -Phil Messina

Quote Originally Posted by erunkiswldrnssurvival View Post
    Thanks.SURVIVALUS ARCANUM is the name of the book; A man that I know whom lived in the Carolinas wrote and illustrated, his name is Larry Tzaar. The book that i have is an original handwork covering topics idealizeing the "forest is my farm" approach to cultivating and obtaining nessary things. its a very interesting book and I will feature it in some more of my posts. To my knowledge there are not any other copys of this book yet in print.
    Where can I get a copy of that book? Even if it's a copy machine copy? There must be more than the 2 you and Larry have. Would you at least show a picture of the front and back cover.
    "A person is not finished when they are defeated.
    A person is finished when they quit."

Jeep 1980 Technical Service Manual.

Bought a 1980 J10 pickup truck about a month ago and been slowly re-working the systems in it.