Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you reading currently

I just ordered these on Amazon:
    "Wildwood Wisdom"
    by Ellsworth Jaeger

"The Field and Forest Handy Book: New Ideas for Out of Doors (Nonpareil Book, 94.)"
    by Daniel Carter Beard; David R. Godine

"Woodcraft and Camping"
    by George W. Sears Nessmuk;

Quote Originally Posted by bulrush View Post
    I just ordered these on Amazon:
    "Wildwood Wisdom"
    by Ellsworth Jaeger

"The Field and Forest Handy Book: New Ideas for Out of Doors (Nonpareil Book, 94.)"
    by Daniel Carter Beard; David R. Godine

"Woodcraft and Camping"
    by George W. Sears Nessmuk;
    That Nessmuk book is really good. I think it is what got me interested in wilderness survival so long ago. Great read, he really brings the reality of it to the reader.

Blog Entries

I am almost finished Tales of the Mountain Men, then I am switching gears to Mario Puzo's The Godfather.

Yeh........need to get in touch with my Italian roots......Fugetaboutit!

The Traditional Bowyer's Bible vol.1

retired American

I am currently reading The River's Tale, which isa bout a guy who spent a year travelling the Mekong River. It is a pretty good travel book. Also reading Behind the Lines by W E B Griffin.

Default Boyers Bible

Quote Originally Posted by rebel View Post
    The Traditional Bowyer's Bible vol.1
    Great books! I have all of them.
    Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky (Styric)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

-Lord Byron (George Gordon)

Anyone have literature on Polynesian survival techniques. New Zealand, Hawaii, Samoa, etc.?
    Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky (Styric)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

-Lord Byron (George Gordon)

I just finished ETUK, The Eskimo Hunter. copyright 1950 by Miriam MacMillan.
    Wonderful read. Anyone wishes to read it, send me ( pm ) your shipping info and I'll mail it to you. When it gets there it's yours to keep or pass on. I have a few other titles i'd do the same with.
    Well why not?

Just finished Life as we Knew it on audio book by Susan Pfeffer. Absolute crap. I can't recommend against wasting your time more than steering clear of this book. The story line is unbelievable, their response to the crisis is unrealistic, the author did no research on her topic, and I gained nothing out of reading it.

Just before that I read Slavomir Rawicz's The Long Walk on audio CD. An amazing story of human endurance of a group of men escaping a Siberian prison camp during WWII. An awe inspiring, apparently true story that had me sitting in my car after my commute every evening just to get to the end of the chapter. I strongly recommend it for both the excellent story telling and for the insight of understanding just how far human endurance can be pushed.

Currently reading The Long Emergency by James Kunstler. It's not as readable as his novel, A World Made by Hand (which I highly recommend), but it is very well researched and almost like reading prophecy. The reason I say that is it was published in 2005 and since that time several of his predictions have come true to a T. Things like the housing and mortgage crisis, the spike in oil prices followed by a rapid crash in oil prices, and the depening recession that follows both events. It's a tad dry, but very informative. I'm about 75-100 pages in currently, but going slow.

Also reading The Survivors Club by Ben Sherwood. No clue, haven't even opened the jacket yet, but I plan on getting started this weekend. Looks a bit like Deep Survival from the book jacket; a survival psychology book.

Currently on audio book I'm listening to Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged. Everyone I knew in college read it and loved it, some folks in other forums recommended it, but I'm half way through and not sure what's to love about it. If it weren't an audio book, I would have set it down about five chapters ago. Fortunately, audio books are my cure for a long commute and I seem to care less about what I'm reading, just so long as it's something.
    I'll rest when I'm dead...

An interesting book by Roland Mueser titled Long Distance Hiking: Lessons from the Appalachian Trail. The guy through hiked the trail in 1989 and handed out questionnaires to other hikers about what kind of gear they used and a whole lot of other stuff. 72 questions in all. He had a section on water purification that I thought everyone might find interesting because we all shout the benefits of treating our water with chlorine. Remember, too, this was 1989.

Water treatment/purification: 59% of hikers never treated or purified water, or did it rarely. Also, the majority of hikers (57%) simply used iodine. The highest rate of people that became ill used chlorine, while the lowest was the iodine users; in the middle is the filtering, boiling, and no treatment crowd. But, other than the chlorine crowd with a 75% illness rate, the rest all come within a few points away from each other's average at about 29.25%.

75% of the chlorine users got sick! I was shocked. Thought you might want to know.

Also, the most reliable stoves used? Alcohol with a 0% fail rate. Pretty hard to beat that.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Blog Entries

Just inserted before The Godfather a quick read......The Raggedy *** Marines by Capt. William C. Moore.

Good read, filing it next to Chesty's bio.

"One Second After" by William Forstchen. About halfway through it - life after an EMP. It's a novel, but does not seem to be out of the realm of possibilities. Makes me want to stock up a bit more.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

The last two books I finished were:
    One Ranger and One Ranger Again

These book are memiors of Texas Ranger H. Joaquin Jackson.

I am amost finished with Trigger Men by Hans Halberstadt a story about Our Military Snipers
    Surivial is just an unplanned adventure when you are prepared

This week I read Tracking & The Art Of Seeing, How To Read Animal Tracks & Sign by Paul Rezendes.
    Well why not?

Newest issue of Tactical Knives.
    The Earth does not belong to us, we belong to the Earth. What befalls the Earth, befalls the sons of the Earth.
    Chief Seattle

Bear Clan

The Golden Spruce: A True Story of Myth, Madness and Greed

Making the Best of Basics by James Talmage Stevens

tennecedar, is that book any good?

Uh, nothing.
    Tracks Across the High Plains...Death on the Bombay Line...A Touch of Death and Mayhem...Dead Rock...The Griswald Mine Boys...All On Amazon Books.

Default Cache Creek, Alaska

"The Mystery of the Cache Creek Murders-A True Story", by Roberta Sheldon.

In late 1939, the bodies of four miners were found in the northern part of what was called the Cache Creek district, at the end of what is today the Petersville Road.

I've traveled this area and it's interesting going to some of the old sites/creeks where this took place.

Quote Originally Posted by mountain mama View Post
    Making the Best of Basics by James Talmage Stevens

tennecedar, is that book any good?
    Yes Ma'am, I enjoyed it. Since posting, a forum member wanted it and I shipped it off. He said he received it.

This week I'm reading Rodale's Book of Hints, Tips, & Everyday Wisdom.
    Well why not?