Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: what are you reading currently

Blog Entries

I am currently reading "Moose Dropping & Other Crimes Against Nature"
    Funny Stories from Alaska
    By Tom Brennan.

A snowmachine threw its driver near Selawik, then took off by itself, nobody at the controls, and sped across ten miles of rough country. The local folks rejected the theory of a stuck throttle. They decided the machine was inhabited by an evil spirit and burned it.
    A CHEECHAKO (an Alaskan newcomer) charged into the hardware store and cornered the salesman who had sold him his chainsaw.
    "I've been trying to cut wood for three days with this thing and it doesn't work worth a damn. I can cut wood faster with a plain old handsaw".
    "Let me see it," the salesman said, reaching for the chainsaw. The cheechako followed the salesman into the back room and watched as the man removed the spark plugs and rubbed the contacts with a cloth.
    "The plugs look clean as new," the sales man said, then yanked the saw's started cord. The chainsaw roared to life.
    The cheechako covered his ears with his hands and shouted, "What's that noise?"
    1. If it's in your kit and you don't know how to use it....It's useless.
    2. If you can't reach your kit when you need it....Its useless.

Alaska Backcountry Adventure Tours
    www.youralaskavacation.com
    Tell them Kevin sent you!!

World made by hand by James Howard Kuntsler
    Regards,

Mountaintrekker
    BEAR CLAN
    "Evolution stops when stupidity is no longer fatal."

"young men and fire" by norman maclean who is better known for "a river runs through it".

from publishers weekly.....

On Aug. 5, 1949, 16 Forest Service smoke jumpers landed at a fire in remote Mann Gulch, Mont. Within an hour, 13 were dead or irrevocably burned, caught in a "blowup"--a rare explosion of wind and flame. The late Maclean, author of the acclaimed A River Runs Through It , grew up in western Montana and worked for the Forest Service in his youth. He visited the site of the blowup; for the next quarter century, the tragedy haunted him. In 1976 he began a serious study of the fire, one that occupied the last 14 years of his life. He enlisted the aid of fire experts, survivors, friends in the Forest Service and reams of official documents. The result is an engrossing account of human fallibility and natural violence. The tragedy was a watershed in Forest Service training--knowledge and techniques have since been improving--and this work will interest Maclean's many admirers. Photos not seen by PW. 30,000 first printing.

sort of like "into the wild" or "into thin air".

enjoy!

retired American

I also read Young men and Fire and it was a great book. I am currently reading Into Thin Air. For people iterested in alaskan history, I also have a book called The Thousand Mile War, by Brian Garfield. which is about battles fought in Alaska during World War ll.
    As for the revolver with the safety, I know what you mean, but this book was written in 1993, which I believe was before Smith and Wesson came out with safety locked revolvers.

I just finished "Extreme Measures" by Vince Flynn. It's about a CIA super agent that goes around killing terrorist and corrupt policticians. Crazy thing is he started the series and talked about the threat to the US before 9/11 ever happened.

Now I moving on to Intro to Forestry and some other college class.
    "The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his."
    -General George S. Patton, Jr.

VISIT MY EBAY STORE

Reading “Camp Life in the Woods and the Tricks of Trapping” Originally published in 1881.

Never seen a book with so many traps in it.
    All through history it has been proven that the right to keep and bear arms is ultimately the only thing that keeps us free

Colorado Springs, CO wildography's Avatar
    Colorado Springs, CO; I've lived in 9 states, traveled through 32 others

what am I reading "wilderness survival" related?

I just finished reading "Advanced Fugitive" by Kenn Abaygo. It was pretty good... most of it is common sense and experience, mixed with a bit of wisdom... but, it was worth reading... not worth buying, but worth reading.

I've also looked at a few different "survival" web sites... most of them have some OK advice... some better than others... like anything else, you try to learn the good, reject the bad...

Alas Babylon, by Pat Frank. The t.v. show Jericho was based on this book, which is set in 1950's cold war era.
    Turtle Clan / Coffee Addicts Anonymous

retired American

I just started reading a very good survival book called The Man Who Walked Through Time, about the first man who hiked through the entire Grand Canyon. Also I am reading In the Presence of My Enemies, by Gracia Burnham, who was kidnapped and held hostage in Phillipine jungle by terrorists.

retired American

I just finished reading a book people on forum might enjoy. It is called The Purification Ceremony by mark T. Sullivan. it is an exciting story about deer hunters being stalked by a psycho killer in British Columbia. The main character is a native American woman and there is much information about deer hunting as well as exciting action.

I've gotten into the books by Tom Brown Jr. lately... what I've read so far:

The Tracker
    Case Files of the Tracker
    Field Guide to Nature Observation and Tracking

I'm almost done with Grandfather
    and have The Way of the Scout waiting to be read

I like the way his books aren't just about survival or tracking, but also incorporate the spiritual aspect of the wilderness. Even if you're one of those people who say he's full of sh*t, and this stuff didn't really happen to him, he's still a very good writer and is worth reading.
    "I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." -- Albert Einstein

I am currently reading:

"The Road" by Cormac McCarthy
    Cheers!
    Richard Styrsky (Styric)

There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more.

-Lord Byron (George Gordon)

Blog Entries

I'm hungry because I'm currently reading: http://www.thecapitalgrille.com/menu...inCourses.asp?
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark

Just bought into the wild hope it's good.

I just started "Fear Less" by Gavin De Becker. He also the #1 best seller
    "The Gift of Fear".

Get Some!

"The Complete Tracker" by Len McDougall
    Hard times don't last -- Hard people do.

"The complete guide to country living: A discursive dictionary"

One of the best informational books I have read. Not only does it describe methodology, but it also gives a list of books AND websites where you can find more information on any particular subject discussion. It has been elevated to one of the "must have's" in my collection.

It focuses mainly on agriculture methods (gardening), raising animals, and preserving food. I think that many of these subjects are, by proxy, important for a good survivalist (should things be more long term than we expect.)

I just bought these books The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible and Saving Seeds and Preserving the Harvest. I am reading them in order of necessity, starting with the Vegetable Gardner’s Bible.

Quote Originally Posted by Scratch View Post
    I just bought these books The Vegetable Gardener’s Bible and Saving Seeds and Preserving the Harvest. I am reading them in order of necessity, starting with the Vegetable Gardner’s Bible.
    Can you post some sort of review of that when you get a chance?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grundle View Post
    Can you post some sort of review of that when you get a chance?
    Send copies. Q.C. will do it!
    “Learning is not compulsory. Neither is survival.”
    W. Edwards Deming

"Live free or die: Death is not the worst of evils."
    General John Stark