Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does This Work

This may be a dangerous trap for people and pets. Plus you are likely to only injure any animal - and then it may very well escape.
    Earth - love it or leave it.

FireSteel.com

well it depends on how deep / how you made the spikes. iv had alot of animals just walk over em without setting em off so its not that effective of a trap..

It does work but it takes time and hard to prepare and if there is other food then i suggest you use that

Remember: The more you work the more you sweat and the more you need to drink and eat

This trap is not so much work as you may think. Your not digging a hole big enough for a large animal to fall in, rather your creating the impression of higher ground. Naturally you still need something of a hole, but it doesn't have to fit a moose to mortally wound it. your hole just makes it so your spikes are really higher than they appear, and the animal falls enough to skewer itself soundly. and it's not as dangerous to yourself and others as a true pitfall on account of how it relies on the four legged body type of the game to find its mark. I still wouldn't play night games in it though. that said i would only build it if I had an ideal spot, and little other options.
    Last edited by spiritman; 06-14-2007 at 04:33 AM.

thanks for the help

Question Corrected????

Quote Originally Posted by marcraft View Post
    this type of trap is not called a deadfall. A deadfall uses a heavy object dropped on the animal to kill it. ill correct you Hook n bull lol this is a PITFALL trap
    I don’t see how I was corrected on any of this. If the picture I posted was of the trap in question, then as I said it was known as a punji pit during Vietnam. I Also said it was NOT called a dead fall. I guess you didn't read my first post on this subject.

Okay everyone! i think we've decided the gapeing hole in the earth with sharp sticks at the bottom is named incorrectly or being called the wrong name. the edge, it would work but it would take HOURS to make, possibly days. So not a good idea at all.

Oh and marcraft, I'm afraid to tell you this, but the bear idea you've had has led me to conclude that you are a dork. sorry. and good luck getting a bear out of a 9 ft. deep hole.lol

Blog Entries

Just let us all know where ya'll are going to put your little pits with stakes sticking up.

I'm not as lucky as Hildalgo.

Thanks For This Info
    A wise person does at once, what a fool does at last. Both do the same thing; only at different times.

lol wildernessgrrrl4. ill tie it to my car and pull it out of the pit. and i have no idea whether im a dork or not so w/e. and evn if i didnt use a car i could use levers ,weights and ropes to pull it out. And a pitfall trap for small - medium game such as foxes , badgers ,raccoons or similarly sized game would only take 20 - 40 min to make depending on what you use to dig it , i always carry a military issue folding shovel so it wouldnt take me that long. however if you tried to use your hands to other ineffective measures to dig it i can see it taking several hours. though if you didnt have a shovel wouldnt it make more sence to make cordage out of a sapling and set some snares?
    Last edited by marberry; 07-02-2007 at 06:34 PM.

it would probably be easier to just dress it in the pit with a rope to climb or something, but imagine the smell as your sitting on Mr. Bear and his guts are all over the place