Thread: 9mm/40/45

KY bluegrass region-the center of the universe

Default 9mm/40/45

I was just scrolling the forum and saw a banner at the bottom that said 9mm/.40/.45 debate ended.

When did that happen? Did someone end it and they didn't ask me first, because I still have it inside my own head every day?

Actually it is often the 9mm/.38 debate, depending on how crisis oriented I am at the moment.
    If you didn't bring jerky what did I just eat?

Tool & Die Maker

i can' find it?

i'm awake at 1:25 am. i can't sleep after capel tunnel and elbow surgery yesterday so i may as well yammer a while. i type with one hand so shift type ain't going to happen today.

Kayrat i'm afraid people have backed away from shooting and firearms. one shooting range i go to has attendance down better than 75%. half the benches are blocked off for social distancing and with ammo hard to
    find and expensive when you do people aren't shooting. was thinking how i used to stop at gun shops driving to and from our cottage 100 miles from home. no need to stop because i know they don't have the reloading supplies i need.

i recently purchased a 223 ar upper with a 20'' barrel for target shooting. i'm wondering now if i did the right thing with an election coming up that might not go well for gun owners.

to go back on your topic i have ar's that shoot 9mm and 45 acp. i love them both and shoot them nearly every time i go to the range. they seem to shoot very similar at 50 yards. the 45 drops like a rock after that, 4'' in 75 yards and then 8''+ at 100 yards. holds windage well though.

i ruined 45 acp barrel when i had a miss fire. yep, bullet lodged in the barrel. i looked down the barrel, thought i saw the other end but did not. the barrel swelled about half way but didn't crack or rupture. well $125 later i had a new barrel. this time i took great care to ''break in'' the barrel so it shoots better than the original. i now take heavy aluminum rods to the gun range for checking barrels for a blockage and removing. that paid off because my 9mm had a miss fire once range officer helped clear the barrel. 9mm is ok. rods are helpful for other people shooting to.

feeling drowsey now. ok kayrat i'm ready to face the music on my misfires!!! but you know by now i learn most things the hard way.

i can' find it?

i'm awake at 1:25 am. i can't sleep after capel tunnel and elbow surgery yesterday so i may as well yammer a while. i type with one hand so shift type ain't going to happen today.

Kayrat i'm afraid people have backed away from shooting and firearms. one shooting range i go to has attendance down better than 75%. half the benches are blocked off for social distancing and with ammo hard to
    find and expensive when you do people aren't shooting. was thinking how i used to stop at gun shops driving to and from our cottage 100 miles from home. no need to stop because i know they don't have the reloading supplies i need. And I'm using this ballistic calculator as well

i recently purchased a 223 ar upper with a 20'' barrel for target shooting. i'm wondering now if i did the right thing with an election coming up that might not go well for gun owners.

to go back on your topic i have ar's that shoot 9mm and 45 acp. i love them both and shoot them nearly every time i go to the range. they seem to shoot very similar at 50 yards. the 45 drops like a rock after that, 4'' in 75 yards and then 8''+ at 100 yards. holds windage well though.

i ruined 45 acp barrel when i had a miss fire. yep, bullet lodged in the barrel. i looked down the barrel, thought i saw the other end but did not. the barrel swelled about half way but didn't crack or rupture. well $125 later i had a new barrel. this time i took great care to ''break in'' the barrel so it shoots better than the original. i now take heavy aluminum rods to the gun range for checking barrels for a blockage and removing. that paid off because my 9mm had a miss fire once range officer helped clear the barrel. 9mm is ok. rods are helpful for other people shooting to.

feeling drowsey now. ok kayrat i'm ready to face the music on my misfires!!! but you know by now i learn most things the hard way.
    Looking down the barrel possibly is the worst idea ever
    never shoot a gun when you are even too tired to think straight!
    Last edited by sandrabsh; 11-12-2020 at 02:51 AM.

Sandra, I look down the barrel of every firearm I prepare to shoot. I don't guess at a clean/clear bore.

Jim, were they misfires or squibs?

Alan

Tool & Die Maker

I guess you could say misfires. Bullet goes halfway down the barrel and stops. My guess is there was no gun powder in the casing, the primer was the only explosion.
    I have changed my reloading technique where after the powder is dropped the shell is goes into a tray then I check the tray with a flashlight to see the powder is present and at the right level. I have dropped powder into shell casings without the primer and insert bullets upside down.

I have learned the hard way, when reloading to never be in a hurry, double and triple check your work. Never drink beer when reloading and don't reload when you should be in bed.

I worked as a Tool & Die Maker and often worked at sprint speeds and that often lead to mistakes. My favorite was waking up in the middle of the night remembering sending die components out for heat treat that didn't have the holes tapped or reamed???? I was much better off working as an electrician where missing components usually resulted as a dead circuit.

The gun range had its best day all year today, 11/8/2020. Summer like temperatures, just beautiful.

A personal update. I should be on my way to Florida right now for another wild and crazy winter of wild hog hunting!!! But my wife needs heart surgery day after tomorrow. If all goes well leave for Florida after December 10th. I just recovered from hernia and carpal tunnel surgery.
    Last edited by jim Glass; 11-08-2020 at 09:24 PM.