Thread: given the restrictions of the alone show

Default given the restrictions of the alone show

(ie, 1.2 mile boundary-radius from your drop off point, the gear list posted on the Alone show home page) How would you gather more food? It's pure luck if a big animal wanders onto your 5 sq mile area, especially in daylight and especially within arrow-range. I think the best bet is to take salt, and use it to bait half a dozen vertical junglewhips. Make "u" shaped brushpiles, so the critter has to put his head right where you want it, and BAM, it gets a stake in the back/top of its skull or thru its spine, driven by a big springpole. If you can find sign of active game trails, near water, and put out some salty cambrium for moose, ox, caribou, and half a dozen others, with the bait being for predators like bear,wolves, wolverines, using fishhead/guts.

O.o

What I wonder is why reality tv is so popular.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I think it is popular because many people have no idea what it would be like to survive in real life in the wild. Therefore, they are amused by talk shows and reality shows in which they can (as they think) acquire knowledge about survival.

One other reason I think that the average person couldn't survive if they were lost 5 miles from rescue, which remember nds me of a cool book I've recently read - Michael Bonds From Here to There: The Art and Science of Finding and Losing Our Way.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I used to watch "Survivor Man" back when I watched TV. I also liked "Port Protection" and some of the folks on "Life Below Zero".

I liked Survivor Man because, If you're survivin and there's someone ten feet away with a video recorder, you're not really survivin, because you've always got an out. SM had emergency backup as well but it was hours away, IF they could get in the air. He set up his own cameras and then retraced his steps to get the gear for the next shot. He also knew what he was doing. The Naked and Afraid wasn't survivin. It was a scenario that would likely never occur but I'm sure it was fun for the first couple of hours. I'm not even going to address Bear G.

Now, if they came up with a show where regular folks could live through an airplane crash or shipwreck in the middle of nowhere and have to make do with the materials at hand until they could make it back to base.... that, might be worth watching...

Alan

I tried that Naked and Afraid thing but it turned out Naked in Kroger meant only the other customers were afraid. Then the police arrived.

Naked sure ain't what it used to be...

Alan

I enjoyed The Amazing Race. The problem with all I've seen is that they pick contestants to produce some kind of drama.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick View Post
    I tried that Naked and Afraid thing but it turned out Naked in Kroger meant only the other customers were afraid. Then the police arrived.
    Reminds me of the first time I went grocery shopping after CV19 hit. I guess that the sign that read you must wear a mask left out the part about pants too.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Instructions should be all inclusive, detailed and foolproof. When you get my age, you tend to take things at face value. I'm messed up enough.

Guests can not see images in the messages. Please register in the forum.

The Hong might actual frighten people more than naked!