Thread: Soil test results showing acidic soil and massive aluminum levels

Default Soil test results showing acidic soil and massive aluminum levels

I just received soil test results back from my area's university soil testing lab (pic attached) showing very low ph very high aluminum levels, which if I understand correctly are related - acidic soil leads to a higher availability of aluminum?

I'm hoping to correct the aluminum to levels that are tolerable to most plants while also bringing the ph up substantially.

Any thoughts/comments are welcome, but my main question is, what environmental factors are at play that have led to this acidic soil/high aluminum, and if I do venture down the road of correcting this by applying amendments, would it just revert back to the current state unless I constantly amend the soil? Really curious about the environmental mechanism here.

Note that the plot I've tested has been completely overgrown with weeds for years, at least 7 years, before I moved in. About 6 months ago I leveled everything above ground with a bobcat, then heavily tilled, surely leaving behing dead roots to decompose - any relationship?

Some soils are just naturally acidic. The ground around where I live happens to be very acidic and it's heck to keep healthy trees like birch. You should have received recommendations for the type of soil amendments needed for your plot along with your test results. Only your local soil conservation office or county extension office can tell you what particular factors are at play and whether or not this is a long term condition or not. Every place is different and even just a mile down the road can be significantly different so the best resource would be one of the offices I mentioned.

Amending the soil is your first step. Then monitoring the soil conditions by period testing will tell you whether or not you need to continue to amend it. I know that's not what you wanted to hear but that's what all of us, even farmers, have to do.

Your local friendly County Extension Agent can tell you more than you will want to know about this stuff....

Alan

The adding of like to raise on per your county extension agent is a short term fix that will be a yearly expense. For long term fix you will want to go to an organic gardening forum . It will depend on soil types as to the solution.
    That said expect to hear about gypsum , adding organics matter,green manure crops and the raising then removal of certain plant that will mine the aluminum from the soil.

It is quite difficult to change the quality of the soil and it will not be possible to permanently solve the problem. You will need to constantly support, and this is time and money. If you fundamentally want to grow those plants for which such soil is not suitable, get ready for constant expenses on improving its quality. If not important, you can plant plants that are suitable for such soil. It is a good way to keep the area in order and not let the weeds clog it.

Here is a group for you to post questions to.
    https://m.facebook.com/groups/regenerativeagriculture/