Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R + 1

We were planing our exit way before Covid and were in fact going to put our place on the market beginning of March. Then the **** hit the fan and everything in the city came to a screeching halt. The mass exodus happened due to Covid, ours is due to finally no careers to keep us here.

And btw, the new residential construction is alive and well going on everywhere you look. I am certain the city is coming back strong (eventually), we just don't want to be here any more even in the best of times.

Rebel,
    A good friend of mine told me when I quit working at the refinery that my weekends just got 5 days LONGER.....I hope you get to do all the stuff you want to. I quit the refinery after 38 years in 2013, messed around for six years, The LW and I did some road tripping (I highly recommend that) and then some folks talked me into taking a full time job again last year. I am 20 months into being the County Director of Emergency Management but I figure I will be out of a job by December of 2021 and back to the long weekend schedule. Congratulations on your retirement. God bless and keep you and yours.

If you are ever in Oklahoma (Like driving across it on I-40 or I-35) please let me know and i will meet you and buy you lunch or we will cook you supper or something!

[QUOTE=BENESSE;520523]Thanks reb, I know we'll really relax as soon as we can get the hell outta Dodge or rather, NYC.
    The plan is to put our place on the market and leave as soon as it sells. Of course, now is the worst time to sell but we don't care. Don't want to be here a minute longer than we have to. 32 years was enough.[/QUOTE

Bee, start packing now, so when it sells, you are ready to get out before the ink dries on the paperwork.

Congrats to rebel and Mr B

I am on disability, so forced retirement. Went to school and got a degree as an MLT. Work part time or PRN when I want. Just started a new part time job, a collaboration between the local hospital and Health Department setting up a COVID testing site. It's only until June unless the virus persists.
    Being on disability, I can only earn so much per month, and they are happily working with me on that, they are making absolute sure I don't do anything against my restrictions.
    I am covered head to foot, does that mean I won't contract the virus, no, but if I do it will be a result of someone getting lazy on disinfecting between patients. My work partner is an RN who used to work for the Health Department. I have to remind her to disinfect the surfaces after each person she tests and Lysol the air.
    I agreed to a per hour number when I applied and was offered the job, they are having a difficult time getting enough applications to round out the team, so the called and told me they were raising my pay by $7/hour. I had to decline because every dollar more they pay me, the fewer number of hours I can work, we settled on a $2/ hour increase and I work 19 hours a week. the first week, it was just me as the nurse they hired was exposed and had to take the test and wait until she got her results before she could start.
    I am going to take the test weekly to monitor myself.
    It is completely free to have the test done at the clinic, we don't even take insurance information. The hospitals have the rapid test, they take your insurance and bill them, and are not supposed to take anything from the patient at all. Some folks have gotten a bill for $2000 lab fees for the rapid test.
    Last edited by nell67; 10-18-2020 at 11:07 AM.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Enjoy R+1 now, it won't last by a long shot. Retired 2014 for Alpaca/Llama ranch then sold and moved a little over a year ago to Dunnellon, FL for absolute final retirement.
    When Wealth is Lost, Nothing is Lost;
    When Health is Lost, Something is Lost;
    When Character is Lost, ALL IS LOST!!!!!!!

Colonel Charles Hyatt circa 1880