Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm still here

Default I'm still here

I just wanted to check in and tell you that I am still here and reading you.
    It's been a while when I registered to the forums, maybe around 8-9 years ago, but I'm still learning a lot here.

Edit: Actually I see my join date, so it was almost 9 years ago.
    Everybody has a different way to view the world...

Good to see you still around. We can all learn something new if we are willing.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

Glad to see you back. Hope things are okay on your side of the pond.

Thank you! Currently all things are okay, but we are witnessing a huge jump in the daily COVID-19 infection rate here.
    As the whole country just opened up for work, school and business, I think it will trigger a new lock down, or even worse things.
    I've read the sad news from around the world that this pandemic is not handled professionally. History does not teach our current leaders anymore...

That is a very sad but true statement. And not just our leaders. It seems we don't bother to learn from history now we just rewrite it.

Or erase it.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

I just read up the story of the Spanish Flu outbreak. While the fragile economies after the WWI covered up the whole story the epidemic became a pandemic.
    Later the neutral Spain started to ring the bells, and the world responded with a lock down, and mandatory face masks.
    It helped to slow down the disease.
    Interestingly they could fully understand the virus only 50 years later. I hope it won't be the case now.
    Hungary now opened the schools and they are mandatory. No home schooling, no online classes. Some companies made mandatory the office time again. It seems to be a human experimentation to me... You are not allowed to stay home with the family, and stay safe.
    Are you safe there? How's the situation there?

It really seems to be a mish mash of approaches. Some schools are full time and some are a combination of virtual learning and full time. I still see so many people without face masks. I find it mind boggling. Not only do masks prevent the wearer from passing the disease to others but new evidence shows that wearing a mask reduces the viral load you receive thereby reducing the severity of the symptoms if you do contract the disease. It's such a minor inconvenience compared to the disease that I don't understand not wearing one. They will walk right past a sign that says "Face Masks are Required" as if the world does not apply to them. In a word, selfish.

I hate the &$@! Mask. I’ve already had the virus and have lots of antibodies. I can’t get it and can’t give it.

Yet, when I go out in public, I wear the &$@! Mask. I invariably get out of the truck and walk halfway to the entrance of a store and have to turn around, go back to the truck and get the &$@! Mask. But, I go get it.

I spent the first half of my life being a bad example and the last half trying to set a good example.

I hate the &$@! Mask. But I wear it for no other reason than to show compliance with a rule that works. When everyone is vaccinated. I’ll put it away.

Alan

If they ever create a vaccine, I'm going to have a bonfire.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I will get the vaccine. I won't be the first one. I won't be in the first hundred. But I will get the vaccine. I really really want to watch the others drink the kool-aid and see what happens before I dip my cup in the bucket. I owned a guinea pig once. That don't make me one. You'll know who I am. I'll be the guy in the back going, "No, no, it's safe, go ahead. Yeah, it's fine, go ahead. You go in front of me, it's perfectly safe, go ahead."

How are you people? I see the forums just slowed down a lot.
    My country just became a war zone of COVID-19, and we have a very high death rate considering the population.

While the positives are rising in the US, which is expected with increases in testing. We are now testing way north of a million a day. The death rates have dropped dramatically. Many of the theraputics are working.
    Can't Means Won't

My Youtube Channel

l will get the vaccine, first off I HAVE to since I am face to face with potentially positive people on the daily, I actually test people. Plus, the labs working on these vaccine are working round the clock and have been since early in this even before it was declared a pandemic by the WHO. I'm a certified Lab technician and follow closely what the labs are and have been doing via trade publications , online forums, etc.. I mean, it's not like Drs are inoculating folks with the ooze out of a cows udder that has cow pox.
    Soular powered by the son.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Seems vaccines have become a prime target for conspiracy theories.
    True enough, my final home is still out there, but this is most certainly my home range and I love it. I love every rock I fall off and tree I trip over. Even when I am close to dying from exhaustion, a beautiful sunset doesn't lose it's power to refresh and inspire me and that, in itself, is enough to save me sometimes.

I have a coworker who's dad just got discharged after recovering from Covid. He's about my age but a gym rat and super fit. He says he's pretty well wiped out, can barely breath or walk. Very scary! There's seemingly little rhyme or reason as to how hard it hits and who gets sick. Some people with lots of comorbidities are surviving and otherwise healthy folks are dying. It's really weird.

I'm reading that this virus uses the immune system to invade the body. That means that people with strong or overactive immune system are at risk for severe cases.

Phaedrus, you are right about no rhyme or reason to this virus, it is definitely a beast of a different color, unlike anything we have ever seen, it seems it evolves with each new person who is infected. Everyone who tests positive only share a few of the same symptoms as the person before, IF they have any symptoms at all. And the list of symptoms grows almost daily.

My sons 6 year old stepson tested positive last week, on his birthday. He has had no symptoms at all, and trying to keep him quarantined in his bedroom has been difficult. None of his sisters (3) nor his 8 week old brother are positive, mom will bring them in to the testing sight Friday an I will test them all again.

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Quote Originally Posted by WolfVanZandt View Post
    I'm reading that this virus uses the immune system to invade the body. That means that people with strong or overactive immune system are at risk for severe cases.
    For people with autoimmune disease, it is inciting an immune response as it should, that's our body's normal reaction, but for the autoimmune folks, the immune system isn't attacking the virus as it should, it is basically ignoring the virus and continuing it's attack on itself only on a much larger scale than it usually does, the health department liaison I have at the clinic says it's like a hit and run, only it hits, then sits back and watches the body fight itself when it should be fighting the virus. The whole time it sits there though, the greater immune response the body has. The body is just fighting the wrong battle

Nell, MLT (ASCP)

Welcome back. True the forums have slowed a bit in some areas. We are glad you are back. Stay well and let us know what kind of outings you have had since the last time you checked in.